State Of The Studio

Lookin’ good!

My “studio” is relegated to a corner in our bedroom. My studio was important when it was putting someone through accounting school… but now, not so much.

I have a fantasy about moving and having a proper spot again, but I also had a fantasy about growing boobs. Now that I have boobs… ehh.. I should be more careful about what I wish for.

Lookin’ good!

My “studio” is relegated to a corner in our bedroom. My studio was important when it was putting someone through accounting school… but now, not so much.

I have a fantasy about moving and having a proper spot again, but I also had a fantasy about growing boobs. Now that I have boobs… ehh.. I should be more careful about what I wish for.
It couldn’t be helped.

What an awesome room! Besides all the cool gear, and definitely unlike my music space, yours is neat and uncluttered. Such a better creating environment, I think. I love that your room is a considered, regularly adapted, and proven space. That’s why it’s so attractive to we hobbyist types… things happen there, and they’re good things!

Well done on the room, and on the description of it!

Thanks for the awesome new studio rundown! Very impressive and it looks great. Obviously with your success, it’s always functioned well in all it’s iterations. Though, I attribute that as much to the creator as his space. Probably more. You know, it’s like when a guitar great plays on some lesser gear and makes it sound awesome.

Anyway, I like hearing and seeing the details of your space whenever you decide to share them.

Thanks for the awesome new studio rundown! Very impressive and it looks great. Obviously with your success, it’s always functioned well in all it’s iterations. Though, I attribute that as much to the creator as his space. Probably more. You know, it’s like when a guitar great plays on some lesser gear and makes it sound awesome.

Anyway, I like hearing and seeing the details of your space whenever you decide to share them.
As mentioned, I call it Studio Craptastic.

Here's what's 'tastic about my space:

It sounds good for recording and mixing, for which Ethan Winer at RealTraps gets the lion's share of the credit.

The electronic bones of the place are good because there are a couple of excellent power supplies for the gear. So there aren't any hums or buzzes anywhere. I planned that well and don't have to fix the basics with noise gates and other junk every time I do a project. For that I'll take some of the credit.

Here's what's very ordinary:

There are a few amps and associated guitar gear, which most of us have on hand.

I've got some mics in a cabinet, which most of us have. There's a no-big-deal computer system, some monitors, an interface, a power supply, a few mic preamps, mic stands and a few sets of headphones. We've all got that. There are some guitars. Everyone here has guitars.

Here's what's crap:

The room is not purpose-but for audio. The gear is very ordinary fare. The floor and ceiling could use a materials upgrade (admittedly, cosmetic but the pig needs nicer lipstick!).

The good news is that anyone can create a setup like this without breaking the bank! Heck, most of the furniture is home-made.

What an awesome room! Besides all the cool gear, and definitely unlike my music space, yours is neat and uncluttered.
When clients came over more often I wanted my space to look nice, and to be able to find odds and ends needed for sessions without having to root around and look unprofessional. So I developed the habit of always returning the tools to the same spots to make things easy to find. Hence, it looks organized.

I might not have become this organized if I didn't have to.

Very few clients ever come over any more, but I do video mixing and conferencing from time to time, so it still has to look tidy - the camera mostly sees the back of the room , so I kind of concentrated on that, but I like the front of the room to be uncluttered so I have available surfaces to put gear and tools on.

Last edited:
Back