How's This For Irrelevant To This Site: College Football?

Coming from a guy who used to play sports...I have stopped watching sports for a long time. Money ruined the game and the agenda pushes knocked what little was left right off the cliff. It doesn't take much digging to see that it is all by design, I just am not going to support it. The only "thing" I watch on tv related to sports now is motorcycle racing. I rarely watch any tv anyway but if a motorcycle race is on I am watching it if possible.

My wife is an Iowa Hawkey fan and watches every game. She's been to three home games this year so far.

Me..........I don't give a rats A$$ about sports.

I have a TV mounted on the ceiling in my bedroom and timer is always set to 180 minutes.........I see about 2 minutes of TV every night then I'm out.........

I'm currently a graduate student at Rutgers. Last Friday they closed the school parking lots for gameday parking for the game that evening.

The signage was unclear, so I still parked in my usual spot all day and left before the game and got out without trouble... but still. Pretty sure I wasn't supposed to park there, but I'm not sure what they expected people to do if they had class.

Seems a little ridiculous for a team that will be lucky if they win a single game this year...

So no, I likely will not attend a single Rutgers football game in my time here. My undergraduate was University of Minnesota. I went to 1 game in my time there. But we beat Wisconsin last year, which was fun. I do enjoy it when that happens.

I'm not anti-sport by any means. I was captain of the University of Minnesota Alpine ski team. I guess I just keep going to schools that suck at football.

Edit: Heck, my grandpa played football for University of Wisconsin Madison. But I grew up in Minnesota, so we have a very divided household. My brother and sister both go to Madison and my mom went to Madison. My brother cheers Wisconsin for college, but Minnesota for professional sports.. My dad favors Minnesota, but stays pretty neutral, especially over college sports.

Last edited:
BLM, Covid, Jabs, Politics, the list goes on and on. All of that stuff has taken over all sports. Announcers are pushing agendas. Look at the commercials and who is sponsoring everything. Programming the masses is in full swing. You know this stuff...
I'm into sports though. I filter out the agenda nonsense.

Ok, guys, if this is such an irrelevant thread, what is better to follow for a teen boy - music or sports? I want my brother to have a dream career... He is still a student but already has a job on eduzaurus and has great skills as a writer. After college courses, he helps people with essays and free samples on any subject daily. However, he has a great performance in football. I am answering what domain to suggest to him because he has asked for my opinion. I am afraid to recommend the wrong way.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, if this is such a irrelevant thread, then what is better to follow for a teen boy - music or sports? I just want for my brother a dream career...
You follow your passion. But that doesn't mean it will end up being a career. I was all state in two sports in high school and played both in college, but have never gotten paid a penny to play either. I did get sort of paid for softball (gear, entry fees, hotel rooms at tournaments etc. when playing for big name teams, but no actual "income" for it).

And I've been passionate about music all my life and at one point was pretty decent at that too, but it's never been my career. If you plan to make it in sports or music as a career, the best advice you will ever get is "get an education and have a backup plan." When my daughter was 16 she got to sing with a nationally known gospel group on stage. The band leader told her "you are easily good enough to be a touring professional right now, but please don't do that until you graduate from college." He told her he'd take her on tour right now, but that what she needed to do was get her degree and be ready for a regular type career,before she made an attempt to get into music.

That doesn't mean people don't have success before they get a degree... but the percentage that do is microscopic.

I'm circling back to report on the game mentioned in my previous post.

As so often happens, a game hyped by the media as a titanic battle of two undefeated teams, ranked No. 5 and No. 10, was only titanic in the sense that Penn State kinda sank.

PSU's defense came into the game allowing only 80 rushing yards per game, one of the best in the country. Michigan's defense and run game were also touted highly.

Trouble was, neither team had played other top teams this season, and it was hard to know how this one would work out. The oddsmakers had the game close to even.

It wasn't.

The Michigan offense controlled the ball, owned the stats, scored lots of points, and won, 41-1t. But the points don't really tell the tale in this one; it wasn't that close.

Penn State couldn't move the ball consistently, so their defense was on the field all day. By the second half their defensive players were gassed. Michigan possessed the ball for almost 42 minutes, more than 2/3 of the game. PSU's offense only managed 10 first downs to 28 for Michigan, which explains the time of possession differential.

PSU couldn't stop Michigan's rushing attack. M rushed for 418 yards. Two different Michigan backs ran for over 150 yards each on the day, and M's QB ran for over 50. Total yardage for Michigan in the game was 563 to PSU's 268.

41-17, Michigan, but the game was never in doubt even when the score tightened at the half.

You follow your passion. But that doesn't mean it will end up being a career. I was all state in two sports in high school and played both in college, but have never gotten paid a penny to play either. I did get sort of paid for softball (gear, entry fees, hotel rooms at tournaments etc. when playing for big name teams, but no actual "income" for it).

And I've been passionate about music all my life and at one point was pretty decent at that too, but it's never been my career. If you plan to make it in sports or music as a career, the best advice you will ever get is "get an education and have a backup plan." When my daughter was 16 she got to sing with a nationally known gospel group on stage. The band leader told her "you are easily good enough to be a touring professional right now, but please don't do that until you graduate from college." He told her he'd take her on tour right now, but that what she needed to do was get her degree and be ready for a regular type career,before she made an attempt to get into music.

That doesn't mean people don't have success before they get a degree... but the percentage that do is microscopic.
I'm inclined to agree, to a point. Here's where I agree:

My son wanted to play in bands. My daughter wanted to act in theater. Both were excellent. I insisted that my son get his degree in music, and that my oldest daughter get a degree in theater, and not just go out in the world without a degree.

The auditioning process was difficult, with many auditions for the better schools in cities like Chicago where a dozen or more schools had representatives auditioning the kids. One of my son's application requirements was to create a legit Bach fugue using electronics and synthesizers on his own - actually he had fun with that one.

I advised them that they should not only learn how to make the music or act, they should also master the production end, where there are good jobs in case their roles in life weren't to be the people in front of the mic or camera.

Both went on to get their degrees from top universities. My son kept on with music and production, building a nice career in the business, while my daughter decided she wanted to use her undergrad degree to go to law school, which, more power to her. Everyone's different.

College can matter a lot, even in entertainment, as a 'get your foot in the door' thing, and this is especially true on the production side, or in the case of more traditional arts, like orchestra, opera, legit theater, painting, dance or sculpture. In traditional music schools, auditions are set up and organized for orchestras, opera, musical theater, etc, same with dancers. Visual artists benefit from having a BFA on their resume as well.

But as with all things good, there's a flip side to that coin:

A life in pop, rock and other youth culture music, and even some theater and film work, isn't something you necessarily want to begin as late as 21 or 22, after you graduate. You're starting out behind the curve. It takes time to find the right setting or opportunity for one's talent, and then the right management has to be found.

You can be too old to get enough experience under your belt if you want to hop on that merry-go-round at 25-6, and still be marketable.

So some aspiring pop culture performers might want to give it a shot, and plan for college later. Yes, that can be tough, because folks don't often want to give up on that dream, and return to college in their mid-20s. I know a bunch who did exactly that after they realized a career in music or another art wasn't going to work for them (sometimes they just don't like the grind of it all). But they're the exceptions, unfortunately.

That's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

I don’t like the pro direction college football and probably basketball is heading. The only thing I can get behind is if the university is profiting off selling jerseys, etc because the player is good, then yeah, the player should get a cut.

Greed has killed the college football game, that along with the transfer portal. Both are turning it from a team sport to an “it’s all about me” sport. Don’t get me wrong, for the majority of the players, the ones who are playing it for the enjoyment of the game knowing they’ll never make it to the NFL, it’s still a team sport. There’s that 10% who will do anything to make themselves shine no matter the consequences for the rest of the team. You’re seeing more kids acting like the pro players, they are fighting with other teammates and the team’s coaches. And when they aren’t getting their way, they hop on the transfer portal bus and go somewhere else. For the top college teams, this doesn’t hurt as much. But when you have a smaller, lesser known school, one who relies on the one or two “star” players they manage to recruit, a transfer could kill their season.

But when you have a smaller, lesser known school, one who relies on the one or two “star” players they manage to recruit, a transfer could kill their season.
I agree, and worse, the money system may make the gap between the higher profile schools and the lower profile schools larger than it has been in the past.

The one saving grace about the transfer portal is that talented players who are second-string at one of the high profile schools might wind up considering the lower profile ones in order to get playing time. If that happens, it's possible that the smaller schools could benefit in an oblique way.

As an example, Michigan has a very fine junior quarterback (who's currently injured) who led the team to a conference championship last year. He was beaten out for the position by a talented sophomore. It wouldn't surprise me if he transferred to a school where he can be a starter, and I think most any team would want this guy. It's possible that sort of thing might even the situation out.

I still LOVE college football and basketball, and I have loved them all of my life. I hope I can say that 5 years from now. The dramatic changes in college sports over the last few years have changed things considerably. I'm old school! Rivalries mean something. Tradition means something. The dismantling of "amateur athletics" was started by ESPN. Yes, the very entity that brings us TV for almost all the games, is the thing that started all the conference realignments and non-sense that has taken over the last few years.

You all know I'm a huge fan of Ohio State, and Cincinnati. As such, I have teams on both sides of the "re-organization" of college sports that ESPN has been steering the whole time. Decades, and even over a century long rivalries are suddenly ended and replaced by some team 3,000 miles away that you've never played before because you had to get in a bigger better conference to get any recognition... and TV money. WV playing in the Big 12, anybody? Give me a freaking break. Look at their geographical base of the conference... EVERY away game is a LONG way from home. The Big 10 adding two CA teams? Again, those two are thousands of miles from the nearest Big 10 team. But the neighboring city or state being your big rival, is suddenly not important to anyone anymore... except for the THOUSANDS of players who played in those rivalries, and hundreds of thousands of fans who lived those rivalries for their whole lives. But, ESPN is in charge, and they really don't give a crap what millions of fans care about!

Now you add "licensing" fees and the transfer portal. A free college education, and training that could potentially land you in professional sports making millions, should be more than enough "compensation" for a college athlete. They are setting you up for a successful life, for free! But this licensing crap is now making college kids millionaires and will only further divide the "haves" from the "have nots." If your U has big booster cash they can "BUY YOU" before you get out of high school... and, the transfer portal? Imagine the chaos even professional sports would be, if every player could just declare unrestricted free agency every year. Your favorite "team" would be more a uniform, than guys you know, because you "team" would be a different bunch of guys every year. And, I'm ok with the guy who gets stuck behind a superstar but could play anywhere else getting in the portal to go somewhere he can play. Totally for that! There are guys who can't crack the starting lineup at OSU or Alabama that will MAKE IT in the pros. (Anyone remember Swen Nater? Only player in history to lead both the ABA and NBA in rebounds for a season. 1st Round draft pick, rookie of the year in professional basketball... but didn't even get much playing time at UCLA because he sat the bench behind Bill Walton).

But there needs to be some kind of restrictions on when and how many times a player can enter the portal, and what happens when he does. While you don't see much about it now (you will) a really name player entering the portal now triggers a "bidding war." "Hey, we've got XYZ software company as one of our alumni and we can give you a "licensing endorsement of $1,000,000/year if you come here!" yeah, that's what college sports is now. And answer me this... if the mid majors didn't have a chance against the Ohio States and Alabamas and others of the world before, what chance do they have now? As was pointed out above... go to a mid major, make a name for yourself and then enter the portal and let the bidding begin!

The very essence of sports is being destroyed. Oh, the games are still as great as they always were, but behind the scenes the very soul of athletics has been sold to ESPN and now to all the big companies who sponsor "licensing" deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
The very essence of sports is being destroyed. Oh, the games are still as great as they always were, but behind the scenes the very soul of athletics has been sold to ESPN and now to all the big companies who sponsor "licensing" deals.
This is why I told friends that I wouldn't watch college football this year. It's nothin' but a business. But I wanted to see "only the first kickoff of the year." Of course I wound up watching that first game, and all the M games since.

Admittedly, I'm pretending that the Wolverines aren't a professional football team. At least they're a pretty good team this year, so there's that. :rolleyes:

I rest my case...and have lost the love of watching any of them for this reason along with the things I mentioned previously. :)

I rest my case...and have lost the love of watching any of them for this reason along with the things I mentioned previously. :)
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I seem to be addicted to Michigan football. I hope to break the habit. Um...eventually.

[insert laughing-at-myself emoji]

Back