Go Blue vs. Go Dawgs

Champion

• Michigan

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Washinton

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The college football landscape sure has changed in the last few days with more to come for sure. Saban retires, DeBoer jumps to Alabama...Sarkisian stays put at Texas to name a few...players flying through the portal like the aliens leaving the planet in Men In Black.....New conference alignments...a retooled playoff system...

Everything I knew or thought I knew about a week ago is pretty much in the wind. I'm in no hurry for September to get here, but it should be quite interesting by the time it does.

The college football landscape sure has changed in the last few days with more to come for sure. Saban retires, DeBoer jumps to Alabama...Sarkisian stays put at Texas to name a few...players flying through the portal like the aliens leaving the planet in Men In Black.....New conference alignments...a retooled playoff system...

Everything I knew or thought I knew about a week ago is pretty much in the wind. I'm in no hurry for September to get here, but it should be quite interesting by the time it does.
It sure ain't like the old days, my boy.

In ancient times Bo Schembechler turned down a record 3 million dollar offer to go coach AND be the A.D. at Texas A&M, and said:

"Frankly, I’ve come to the conclusion that there are things more important in this world than money. For that reason, I’ve decided to stay at Michigan.”

People wonder why Michigan fans loved the guy. That's why. It wasn't just the wins.

But DeBoer coaches a UW team to the NC game, and leaves a few days later for Alabama? Hey, there's nothing wrong with Alabama, but I'd find it awfully hard to leave a school that's counting on me, as well as leaving such a beautiful state with great lifestyle.

I'm glad Michigan won the natty, but I had more enjoyment watching the team play in the Rose Bowl in the semifinal, with its beautiful outdoor scenery. That's a traditional venue for a Big Ten team and for some reason, with all the history, it mattered. Yes, the team did better in the final game, and yes it was a big deal, but still. I like atmosphere. Outdoor games even look better than games in stadiums with roofs at night. There's an inky black sky, and under the klieg lights the team colors pop. It's pageantry as well as sport.

Watching an indoor game is kind of drab and depressing in comparison - the light always looks kind of dim, the colors look drab. I know this first hand because the Lions play in a covered stadium that has about the same kind of drab atmosphere as any other. It's OK, and works well in December, but it still sucks.

Last edited:
I had more enjoyment watching the team play in the Rose Bowl in the semifinal, with its beautiful outdoor scenery. That's a traditional venue for a Big Ten team and for some reason, with all the history, it mattered.
It's a special place. Been there at least a half dozen times including three times on Jan 1. On 1/1 it's hot in the sun even past halftime and there are lots of pre-game festivities starting at least a day before the game. And I'll guess that the stadium itself must feel very similar to the Big House in Ann Arbor. If you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it.

Ironically, our son went to UCLA but never attended a game. Kids nowadays.

It's a special place. Been there at least a half dozen times including three times on Jan 1. On 1/1 it's hot in the sun even past halftime and there are lots of pre-game festivities starting at least a day before the game. And I'll guess that the stadium itself must feel very similar to the Big House in Ann Arbor. If you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it.

Ironically, our son went to UCLA but never attended a game. Kids nowadays.
My son lives in LA and has only gone to Lakers games. I don't get it.

Back