"Sinker" on Sigs

In sweden this is a 6500 $ guitar.I hope all you guys have a great sounding guitar.Obviously there is some good dense mahogany in those neck.Whats the deal here?I dont understand this thread.If i bought a guitar that cost that much i couldnt care less if its mahogany from Atlantis or from the Amazonas inland.Do we hear with our eyes here?Those 408 pickups sound amazing to me.How does it sound and how does it feel to play?

AWESOME! :)

Yeah man.

P1040735.jpg

a3c2c78b.jpg

ac7ab237.jpg

P1040738.jpg

I like both my Sig's. There IS a difference in the sustain on both of these compared to my other gtrs. PRS, Fender, whatever. So I do think that this run of "hog" is special. I also thought that it meant it was old wood recovered from the bottom of some pond/river but it really doesn't matter to me. Unplugged they ring/sustain forever. So, just my opinion.
photobucket-4101-1331409229445.jpg

photobucket-4233-1331409230661.jpg

Kate likes them both.
IMG_2673.jpg

But I think she prefers "Norma"..One of my fave pics of Kate. Her curiosity of everything has made me look at things in a whole new way.
IMG_2678.jpg

It doesn't matter what I think about the core issue at this point, so the question becomes, "What's a workable and good solution?" Silberman suggests what seems on the surface to be a sensible solution, buy back the guitars from people who'd rather have the money.

There are 400 Sig Ltds and however many PS versions. That could amount to a couple of million dollars. Is it really workable to saddle PRS with that kind of loss in this very shaky economy? After all, no one disputes that the guitars are, in fact, excellent guitars. The only issue is the "magic" stuff, the 200 year old wood bragging rights, the coolness, whatever you want to call it.

I paid within a hair of Sig money for an Artist V that didn't have any of that Sinker stuff, and didn't have the special pickups or electronics. I have a real question as to how much, if anything, PRS factored the Sinker thing into the price. We all know it would be anyone's guess. I'm willing to bet that they came up with a price for the package, and didn't sit around with calculators saying, "Let's see, we're going to charge X for this quality of wood, and Y for the binding on the neck, and Z because of this switch, etc. So how does one adjust for what's fair?

What if Silberman's suggestion would hamper PRS' ability to operate or come up with new products? (Note, I say "What if" because I am not privy to PRS' finances obviously I'm guessing). But if it came to that, is it what you guys really want to see happen?

Then what happens with guys like BuickRob, who have their guitars for sale? What if they sell them, and later claim that they couldn't get a fair price for them because of the lack of Sinker wood? There's still a potential small claim there, but multiply the claims, and you have an unknown potential for further trouble. There are in fact several Sigs for sale on VR right now.

And what about the people who'd rather just keep the guitar, but still want something to show for their trouble?

It's a big can of worms. A simple solution isn't as easy as one might think.

I paid within a hair of Sig money for an Artist V that didn't have any of that Sinker stuff, and didn't have the special pickups or electronics. I have a real question as to how much, if anything, PRS factored the Sinker thing into the price.

This is a good point. The original selling price for the production Signature guitars did not seem high enough (to me) to include the added cost of extra-rare, salvaged, specialty "sinker" wood. I'm not including the PS run because I don't know much about PS pricing. But I don't really see how anyone was hurt by paying ~4K (new) for a guitar that seems to be worth about ~4K (new) when you compare these high-end production PRS guitars to each other.

I'll give you $100 to post a pick of your two Siggys with your user name on a piece of paper between them.

Otherwise, just go away.

I'll gladly post a picture of my two Siggy's with my user name on a piece of paper between them for $1 and not a penny more. I'll even toss a VR TRC on one of them if you want.

Lemme tell ya from personal experience.

Having a Private Stock Sig and finding out that the neck may not be "real genuine recovered submerged lumber" is not nearly as bad as when I bought a "100% original Vintage Gibson" and later found out that it had been modified and sold by a reputable dealer as unmolested. Same thing happened with a '61 Strat about 7 years ago. These experiences soured me on the "vintage market".

this "debacle" is more debate than damage. I'm keeping my Sig. I will buy many more PRS (and I own many already).

And, I do think that Paul and the company should offer to either buy back, exchange or otherwise "credit" anyone who bought a signature and who feels as if they deserve some restitution. None for me thanks. And I still think the company is topnotch. I find this to be an interesting anomaly and look forward to seeing how it resolves.

1316295246157-1.jpg

1316299452939-1.jpg

2011-09-17_18-36-49_102-1.jpg

1316299647317-1.jpg

1316299621091-1.jpg

2011-09-17_18-48-28_663-1-1.jpg

I asked Howie what he thought of this controversy....

2011-09-17_17-21-41_971-1.jpg

Last edited:
I like both my Sig's. There IS a difference in the sustain on both of these compared to my other gtrs. PRS, Fender, whatever. So I do think that this run of "hog" is special. I also thought that it meant it was old wood recovered from the bottom of some pond/river but it really doesn't matter to me. Unplugged they ring/sustain forever. So, just my opinion.
photobucket-4101-1331409229445.jpg

photobucket-4233-1331409230661.jpg

Kate likes them both.
IMG_2673.jpg

But I think she prefers "Norma"..One of my fave pics of Kate. Her curiosity of everything has made me look at things in a whole new way.
IMG_2678.jpg

Damn, Chris, she is ADORABLE.

It doesn't matter what I think about the core issue at this point, so the question becomes, "What's a workable and good solution?" Silberman suggests what seems on the surface to be a sensible solution, buy back the guitars from people who'd rather have the money.

There are 400 Sig Ltds and however many PS versions. That could amount to a couple of million dollars. Is it really workable to saddle PRS with that kind of loss in this very shaky economy? After all, no one disputes that the guitars are, in fact, excellent guitars. The only issue is the "magic" stuff, the 200 year old wood bragging rights, the coolness, whatever you want to call it.

I paid within a hair of Sig money for an Artist V that didn't have any of that Sinker stuff, and didn't have the special pickups or electronics. I have a real question as to how much, if anything, PRS factored the Sinker thing into the price. We all know it would be anyone's guess. I'm willing to bet that they came up with a price for the package, and didn't sit around with calculators saying, "Let's see, we're going to charge X for this quality of wood, and Y for the binding on the neck, and Z because of this switch, etc. So how does one adjust for what's fair?

What if Silberman's suggestion would hamper PRS' ability to operate or come up with new products? (Note, I say "What if" because I am not privy to PRS' finances obviously I'm guessing). But if it came to that, is it what you guys really want to see happen?

Then what happens with guys like BuickRob, who have their guitars for sale? What if they sell them, and later claim that they couldn't get a fair price for them because of the lack of Sinker wood? There's still a potential small claim there, but multiply the claims, and you have an unknown potential for further trouble. There are in fact several Sigs for sale on VR right now.

And what about the people who'd rather just keep the guitar, but still want something to show for their trouble?

It's a big can of worms. A simple solution isn't as easy as one might think.

Very well said Les! I don't particularly want to see PRS go out of business. Also, I do not wish "Something to show for my trouble"............... Something about my moral values .

That being said................................ I certainly thought my neck came from the bottom of a Lake!

Very well said Les! I don't particularly want to see PRS go out of business. Also, I do not wish "Something to show for my trouble"............... Something about my moral values .

That being said................................ I certainly thought my neck came from the bottom of a Lake!

Markie, I have a lovely spring fed lake right by my house. And I have some rope, and an anchor. Send the guitar and consider the problem solved. How long ya want it left on the bottom? ;)

As for me I'm thinking of buying one or two of these instruments...they are phenomenal and full of innovation...

Seems to be a bunch on the relative cheap right now...

Considering original cost versus other offerings...seems to be a nice opportunity in the used market.

I completely agree. I don't know if current prices have anything to do with what we've been discussing, or simply because the economy is sluggish, but these are bargains. Most of the ones I've seen for sale look like they've hardly been played!

I'd love to own one with a trem at some point.

Anyone that hates their stoptail Siggy is invited to send it my way for some tender loving care!

I completely agree. I don't know if current prices have anything to do with what we've been discussing, or simply because the economy is sluggish, but these are bargains. Most of the ones I've seen for sale look like they've hardly been played!

I'd love to own one with a trem at some point.
I personally know of one that is still in mint condition, 4 hours of play time, with a trem in Blackgold. PM me if interested. Not mine, at least not anymore, but a killer deal.

Back