Suggestions on split tones?

boardn10

Hey guys,
I sold off my Fenders and have no single coil options in the house. I have plenty of PRS guitars but none with splitting.
I was watching Mark Tremonti play his new MT100 in a video and noticed some of his medium gain tones sounded almost single coil ish but I don't think any of his Tremonti models have splitting.
Anyway, it made me realize that I'd like some split cool options.
I have an older CE22, 2001 SC, 2008 SC250 and 2014 Stripped 58. My other guitars are Gibson. I'd like to configure one of my PRS to have split or series/parallel tones but I would need to ensure volume doesn't drop. I do t want to have to use a boost to compensate. Any suggestions? I know some new PRS guitars have splitting without volume drop.

Depending on the pickups in your CE22 and SC250, you may be able to add the option to those. If your Stripped 58 is stock, those pickups may not have the tap wire. If they have it, a white wire, you could add the option to that guitar as well. The wire may be coiled up in the pickup cavity. You can also buy the push/pull pots from PRS to have exactly what they would have installed in it.

Your CE22 should have split tones in the #2 and #4 positions of the rotary switch...unless someone turned it into a three way switch.

If that is the case, and the guitar still has Dragon 2 pickups, you can install two push/pulls.

I don't think you can do both split and parallel on one switch, but parallel on the bridge pickup switch and split on the neck switch sounds great.

Back