Mini Toggle for coil splitting

Squiggy

I've got two mini toggles for independently coil splitting the pickups. They're currently 9-pin. Can I achieve the same "partial" coil split that PRS does with a 6-pin on-on toggle? The reason I'm wondering is because the shaft on the 9-pin is only 6mm and I'd like to get an 8mm shaft . It looks like a larger shaft has more options in the 8mm shaft style. I see that the paul's guitar does this with 6 pin, but I'm wondering why my tech wanted to use a 9-pin. TIA for any insight!

3 pins is all you really need for the splitting/tapping/selecting of one pickup, so any extra pins just will not be used. No harm in having the extra pins unused. The depth of the mounting threads, and physical size inside the control cavity, are other considerations.

3 pins is all you really need for the splitting/tapping/selecting of one pickup, so any extra pins just will not be used. No harm in having the extra pins unused. The depth of the mounting threads, and physical size inside the control cavity, are other considerations.
Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for 2 humbuckers, 3 way toggle and 1 volume? I'm not sure why paul's guitar has 6 pin? Does it have something to do with the partial splitting?

6 pin on PG to allow the selection of one coil of the humbucker, completely removing the other coil from the circuit, unlike other schemes that simply ground one coil effectively shorting it out but not disconnecting it.

Check SD website, they have wiring diagrams for all occasions, just check the wire colors of whatever pickups you are using, as they might differ between manufacturers.

Here is one possibility.
2H_3G_1V_2mtSPL.jpg

Last edited:
Back