Error on the Private Stock COA - SOLVED

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, I'm writing to you for opinion and suggestions on a problem that I have with the certificate of authenticity of a PRS Private Stock that is arrived today in the shop.
I ordered this Private Stock in 2021, its number on the neck doesn't match to the one on the official COA, as shown in the photo that I'm attaching below in this OP.

Me (the client) and the shop manager contacted the dealer, who told us "it's normal that the number is different: in 2021 you commissioned the guitar and they started the build, writing 21-XXXXXX on the neck, then in 2022 the build was finished and they wrote 22-XXXXXX on the certificate".
Honestly this seems no-sense to me, in my life I've never seen a Private Stock with a number on the certificate different than the one on its neck. Also the shop manager was of the same idea. It seems to us that he simply wants to avoid contacting PRS saying they were wrong.

EDIT :
I contacted some famous Private Stock dealer, these are the answers:
Wildwire Guitars: "It would be my belief that the certificate would have the serial number to match the one you have on the back of the headstock of the guitar. In my humble opinion, whether we are in 21 or 22, the fact is that the serial number on the certificate is a different number it would technically not match. I would ask your dealer to contact PRS to explain this issue and hopefully PRS would oblige and provide the correctly numbered certificate."
Dave's Guitars: "I have never seen this before, but my guess is it was just a simple mistake due to the dynamic you mentioned. The guitar being built/serial number assigned in 2021 and the Cert being complete in 2022. All of those Certs are hand typed so my guess is they just forgot to update the date."

Brian's Guitars: "Honestly, Im not sure. Its not something I have ever come across. My initial thought is that its just a typo but its not something that has ever come up here."

Also I found on Reverb at least 2 PRS Private Stocks whose construction began in 2021 after my guitar (so definitely both finished in 2022) and whose COAs obviously states 2021, here the links:

I'm honestly speechless and also quite angry.
Do you think this is a typo by the PRS QC? Have you ever seen such a thing on a Private Stock?!

Photo here:
Schermata-2022-04-04-alle-17-37-31.png

EDIT :
I got a reply from PRS Customer Service:
"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. Congratulations on your new Private Stock 594 Hollowbody as it sounds like a wonderful piece.
We are very sorry there is an issue with the accompanying certificate. This would be an oversight and unfortunately a typo we missed here at the factory.
We will send a new, corrected, COA to the store right away: a new COA will be created and should ship this afternoon.
It should deliver to the store early next week, hopefully earlier.
We certainly apologize for any inconvenience and we greatly appreciate your continued support of PRS Guitars.
We hope you will enjoy your new guitar for years to come!"

Also, a few days after this email, they sent me the tracking code of the package containing the new COA, seems it will arrive on 20 april 2022 here in Italy.
So, it seems that everything will work out for the best and I'm really very happy about it.
The reply from the Customer Service came just 15 hours after my email, honestly I feel much calmer now.

EDIT :
The new (corrected) COA arrived. Everything is fine now.

Last edited:
I’d want it corrected.
I’d also have them remove those large purple arrows and circle.
The first sentence is sincere. The second one is a bad attempt at humor.
you genuinely made me smile.
This certificate thing freaks me out: I understand that mistakes can happen but, hell, it's a $17,000 guitar

Last edited:
do you think they will reply me for a private stock question?
I think you would have better luck than asking any of us. The worst thing the can tell you is "work through your dealer." Explain your case and I am sure they would be willing to assist you. Everyone makes mistakes.

I think you would have better luck than asking any of us. The worst thing the can tell you is "work through your dealer." Explain your case and I am sure they would be willing to assist you. Everyone makes mistakes.
I sent an email to the customer service, I'm waiting for an answer but in the FAQ I read this:
Schermata-2022-04-04-alle-20-29-12.png

Honestly I really hope they won't write this no-sense message to me in their reply.
This doesn't make sense since I ordered a $17.000 guitar and I don't accept being told "the COAs are one of a kind": the mistake is yours, not mine, I haven't lost the certificate, it's the certificate to be wrong by your fault. Jeez.

Last edited:
The dealer's confusion might have to do with the year in the serial number not matching the date on the hang tag. This seems pretty normal for guitars that are inspected and ship in January but were manufactured in the prior year. The serial number on the guitar definitely should match the serial number on the certificate and hang tag regardless of the manufacture, inspection and ship dates.

If I were looking for a stellar high-end guitar and saw yours for sale with a headstock that doesn't match the Cert, I'd reluctantly have to pass. You just don't want that sort of ambiguity. They need to correct this ASAP, frankly I don't believe them that the CoA and the headstock don't have to match, that's the whole point of the CoA!

If I were looking for a stellar high-end guitar and saw yours for sale with a headstock that doesn't match the Cert, I'd reluctantly have to pass. You just don't want that sort of ambiguity. They need to correct this ASAP, frankly I don't believe them that the CoA and the headstock don't have to match, that's the whole point of the CoA!
I absolutely understand what you are saying and I think the exact same way.
I don't think I'll ever sell this guitar, which for me represents a gift I made myself after my first serious professional milestone, so it has a meaning.
But it really annoys me to know about this mistake on such an expensive instrument, it's something that makes me mad.

(I don't know if also in the States works like this but) in Italy the customer contacts a PRS store and the PRS store contacts the official dealer (in Italy we have only ONE Private Stock dealer for the whole Country).
But at the end the customer pay only the store (not directly the dealer).
Anyway the guitar arrived today in the store and I still have to pay them, that keeps the guitar there.
I've already asked the shop to contact the dealer to solve this stuff because seriously if the PRS Customer Service tells "no COA" I'll answer "no money"

I sent an email to the customer service, I'm waiting for an answer but in the FAQ I read this:

Honestly I really hope they won't write this no-sense message to me in their reply.
This doesn't make sense since I paid 17k for a guitar and I don't accept being told "the COAs are one of a kind": the mistake is yours, not mine, I haven't lost the certificate, it's the certificate to be wrong by your fault. Jeez.
I'd suggest that you relax and follow course with PRS before worrying about scenarios that may or may not happen down the road. It will all work out to your satisfaction if you let it.

I'd suggest that you relax and follow course with PRS before worrying about scenarios that may or may not happen down the road. It will all work out to your satisfaction if you let it.
yeah, I admit that you are right. I'm sorry to be like this but I'm a bit sad for this whole affair, I've been waiting for almost two years :confused:

This doesn't make sense since I paid 17k for a guitar and I don't accept being told "the COAs are one of a kind": the mistake is yours, not mine, I haven't lost the certificate, it's the certificate to be wrong by your fault. Jeez.

Not the same thing. The ORIGINAL should be correct in the first place. I’d tell the dealer to fix it.

I absolutely understand what you are saying and I think the exact same way.
I don't think I'll ever sell this guitar, which for me represents a gift I made myself after my first serious professional milestone, so it has a meaning.
But it really annoys me to know about this mistake on such an expensive instrument, it's something that makes me mad.

(I don't know if also in the States works like this but) in Italy the customer contacts a PRS store and the PRS store contacts the official dealer (in Italy we have only ONE Private Stock dealer for the whole Country).
But at the end the customer pay only the store (not directly the dealer).
Anyway the guitar arrived today in the store and I still have to pay them, that keeps the guitar there.
I've already asked the shop to contact the dealer to solve this stuff because seriously if the PRS Customer Service tells "no COA" I'll answer "no money"

Sounds like you have a good plan and as the guitar hadn't left the store before you documented the error I expect it will be resolved without much fuss. I'd expect it was just someone processing the guitar before they had their morning coffee. That was a good catch on your part in identifying the error now while it's easy to correct (and not 10 years from now when it would really be a hassle).

Congratulations on your achievement and rewarding yourself with a fantastic guitar.

Last edited:
Back