Michael Kiske
Ronnie James Dio (ANY BAND, ANY ERA)
Lizzy Borden
Ray Alder
Steve Perry
Tom Smith (Editors)
Bruce Dickinson
+1 For Ray Gillan

While Chris Cornell has been justly mentioned here, another in the same vein who had an incredible rock voice was Layne Staley. I can't think of another as good as either of them in that genre, and both are sadly missed.

While Chris Cornell has been justly mentioned here, another in the same vein who had an incredible rock voice was Layne Staley. I can't think of another as good as either of them in that genre, and both are sadly missed.

I couldn't agree more...he was amazing...it's truly a shame to lose so many talented artist from that era. :( Eddie Vedder is really the last major frontman of that era. Sad...

Chris Isaak (Chris Isaak)
David Bowie (David Bowie)
Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)
Danny Elfman (Oingo Boingo)
Listen to him completely control this descending melody:
Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
Dude had range:
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
James Baker (Rorschach Test)
Like a chainsaw ripping through flesh (get to the part where he sings, "...still I managed to drive everyone who loves me In-SAAAAAANE!":

Oh and I just recently found out how talented this guy really is.
David Draiman from Disturbed, I had no clue how big his range is, until I heard his version of The Sound of Silence. If you aren't familiar with him...let this one sink in.

Yeah, and those guys, much like Tool, are not just mindless thrashing and screaming all the time at all...

Has anyone mentioned Doung Pinnick of King's X fame? He blew me away the first time I heard "Over My Head".

Great band, great song.

I remember bringing Gretchen Goes to Hollywood home. Out of the Silent Planet was playing and my wife walked into the room and said, “Are those guys singing out of tune on purpose?”

:eek::confused::D

Last edited:
The Good:
Stumbled across this...I love isolated vocal tracks...to me, isolated vocals expose the raw talent (or lack there of) better than just about anything else..

The Bad:
In their defense...everybody has a bad day sometimes...but when ya do...as long as you look good, they wont even notice. So there is that....
o_O:D

Last edited:
Gary Brooker (Procol Harum)
Roger Daltrey (The Who)
Elvis Costello
Steve Winwood
Alanis Morissette
Sheryl Crow
Bono

Back