Relic your guitar

Hmmm... nope, at least not yet!
I tried putting a PRS sticker on a car once.

I couldn't handle having a sticker on the car. Just didn't work for me at all. I mean, I wanted to show my enthusiasm, but it Interfered with the design aesthetic of the car.

However, first my kids, and later my grandkids, had fun with them! I guess that counts!

I had stickers on my boogie van back in the day. Em, on the windows (not the paint!). They were goofy, like we all were back then. "This may not be Noah's Arc, but your daughter came across in it!" "If this buggy's rockin', don't bother knockin'!" I sorta think that's maybe why my future father-i- law didn't trust me for a long time...
But on a guitar? :eek: Now say something nasty about my late mother...
But hey, whatever works.

Relic-ing is pretending to have an old guitar.
These stickers are pretending to be relic-ing.
So these stickers are pretending to pretend to have an old guitar...

I'd point out some like Fender relics for other valid reasons than just pretending to have an old instrument:
- the neck feel as the finish at the back of the neck is often down to raw wood (or very thinly sealed). Much more comfortable and fast playing compared to even satin poly/nitro necks and even more so gloss necks.
- likewise they have more heavily rolled fingerboard edges which gives a comfortable broken-in feel, though if done aggressively that doesn't pair well with the wider vintage string spacing. Amusingly though that is a just a by-product of them being made by the Fender Custom Shop rather than the generic USA production line.
- no need to worry about dings. The guitar can always be resold as mint.

This all day. My only relic, part real and part made that way, is an awesome playing neck. It's also my guitar of choice for scotch night!

I'd point out some like Fender relics for other valid reasons than just pretending to have an old instrument:
- the neck feel as the finish at the back of the neck is often down to raw wood (or very thinly sealed). Much more comfortable and fast playing compared to even satin poly/nitro necks and even more so gloss necks.
- likewise they have more heavily rolled fingerboard edges which gives a comfortable broken-in feel, though if done aggressively that doesn't pair well with the wider vintage string spacing. Amusingly though that is a just a by-product of them being made by the Fender Custom Shop rather than the generic USA production line.
- no need to worry about dings. The guitar can always be resold as mint.

Those are "playability issues" and personally I don't consider them part of the "relic" aesthetic. Doing something to a guitar to make it more comfortable or easier to play is one thing, but doing something to a guitar to make it look like it's been on tour for the last 30 years is something entirely different and feels dishonest.

While I don't agree with fake relic stickers to make your guitar look vintage I do think there is an entertainment value to them.

If you're gigging, change the stickers every time so the audience thinks you've got a bunch of vintage axes. It works for ZZ Top :D

Eventually they run out of key fob codes.

I once walked out of a Home Depot in NYC, held my fob over my head,
pushed the button and FOUR parked cars unlocked.

Back