Evaluating Your Own Stuff - The Worst!

From one friend to another… f*ck this. Be proud of your work.
Wait just a second...

You're proud of your best professional work. No doubt.

But if you did a mediocre job on a patient's dental work, I suspect you'd be less than happy about it. You must grant me the same freedom to judge my work and decide what to keep and be proud of.

The good news is I can trash my worst stuff, and no one will sue me for it. You, on the other hand...;)

Last edited:
Les, you are always supportive of the music that other members post, so, the fact that you are critical of your own work shows me that not only are you a very good composer, you are in fact striving to be a better one. Thats admirable. I have really enjoyed your music that I have heard, and I thank you for sharing with us!!!

Les, you are always supportive of the music that other members post, so, the fact that you are critical of your own work shows me that not only are you a very good composer, you are in fact striving to be a better one. Thats admirable. I have really enjoyed your music that I have heard, and I thank you for sharing with us!!!
I figure it's fun to share the ideas. At first, I'm usually excited and think they're good. As time passes, I begin to re-evaluate them.

I guess the only way to get to be a better composer is to compose more stuff and see what happens. Thanks!

If you think you can do it better, then I'm sure you can. Nothing bad in being a perfectionist. Go get them!

I'm workin' it! I'm close to being done with my first redo. Getting down to the minor details and the mix at this point,

I don't know if I've improved it, or just polished a turd, but I'll compare the before and after and decide. If it's halfway decent in comparison, I'll post here.

Welp. After spending several days trying to improve one of the tunes I thought was marginal, last night I realized the reason it's marginal is that I simply don't like it.

Sometimes a piece just doesn't have good 'bones'.

Nothing I did really made a difference. Oh sure, there was more orchestration, and better playing, but it was like putting lipstick on a pig.

So I finally said enough, this one just isn't worth the effort. And trashed it. Buh-bye! So glad you flew with our airline! 🤣

Back