PRS: Why is the price point so high to get a hard case included with the guitar?

I used to run a retail business too. It's a general rule of thumb that cost is 50% of retail. Sometimes its more.

Ok...imagine a clickbait video here..."retail trade secrets the Man doesn't want you to know!"

I used to sell bbqs, Webers, Traeger, Big Green Egg, and the markup on those was small. Most of the time when you see them on sale, they are being sold at cost. The retailer makes money by selling you accessories, utensils and what not. So on average, cost on those was 90% retail. So, just an example that cost is not always as cheap as people think.
Yeah, you have to figure it out for yourself. If you can't get full mark up then make it up with accessories that get a bigger markup.

But guys who are still arguing that PRS should just include a free case are just being stubborn.

It's not free.

If you want a "free" $300 case you're going to have to pay $300 more for the guitar.

So it's not actually free is it?

Yeah, you have to figure it out for yourself. If you can't get full mark up then make it up with accessories that get a bigger markup.

But guys who are still arguing that PRS should just include a free case are just being stubborn.

It's not free.

If you want a "free" $300 case you're going to have to pay $300 more for the guitar.

So it's not actually free is it?
Yeah, that's my point too, its always gonna be factored in, unless its something a dealer will give you, but that's gonna be up to the individual dealers if its cost effective for them to do that. At the end of the day, there isnt really any such thing as a free lunch.

Yeah, that's my point too, its always gonna be factored in, unless its something a dealer will give you, but that's gonna be up to the individual dealers if its cost effective for them to do that. At the end of the day, there isnt really any such thing as a free lunch.
Nope. Or free guitar cases.

Just thought I'd point out that PRS currently has their multifit hard cases on sale for $238 - and you can usually find them "somewhere" on sale for about that price if you are patient enough. And used for even less.

As I noted in the NF 53 thread - go buy a case and add it to the cost of the guitar (that comes with the "cheap" gig bag) and you will get somewhere close to what PRS would have priced it at. Heck, sell that gig bag for $60 (currently on sale for $90 at PRS) and minimize the cost even further.

The only caveat that I must mention again is to make sure the guitar you want fits into that "multi-fit case" - there have been a few exceptions, and the description doesn't get updated to include the latest models very often - as you can see, PRS states what does fit, not the reverse, and new models are unknown.

I love the gig bag that came with the silver sky. I assume it’s the same one that the Dustie and the new MK/NF would come in

Last edited:
Almost 70 posts in and I think we’ve settled on 4 distinct camps on this issue.

Camp 1: PRS is cheapskates and should be providing a hard case because my guitar is expensive and I want one “free”

Camp 2: PRS isn’t meeting players needs, we want HSCs and would gladly pay whatever price they need to charge.

Camp 3: Hard cases suck.

And finally…

Camp 4: If a Santana leaves Stevensville in a hardcase at 3:50PM via UPS and a second identical Santana leaves Stevensville in a gig bag at 3:52PM via FedEx and both of them arrive at my house at precisely the same time…which one needs a string change first? Doesn’t matter, I have 2.

*Edit to say if anyone wants to test the Camp 4 theory, feel free to have the good folks at PRS send those Santanas right along and I will keep careful documentation and post here.

Last edited:
I am in the camp of, PRS should offer the option of hard or soft (we know what she wants) to users who literally order a guitar and possibly to dealers as an option. There would be different price points and almost everyone could get what they want. There would be exceptions of course, like when a dealer says "I want them all in hard cases" and customer says "I don't want a 20lb boat anchor for this guitar" and vice versa, but I think it would be the solution that provides the best experience for the most end users. I sure hope PRS someday starts offering molded cases that are lighter, stronger and more resistant to various conditions, regardless of whether it is offered on model x, y or z ;~))

PRS should offer the option of hard or soft (we know what she wants) to users who literally order a guitar and possibly to dealers as an option.
Customers don't order from PRS. They order via a dealer. Every guitar is a dealer order.

Dealers either place customer-specific orders or place orders with PRS in the hopes of selling them.

You already have the option of "ordering with a hard case" - if you want a hard case, add it to your order, like a box of strings. You get a free gig bag out if it too!

Customers don't order from PRS. They order via a dealer. Every guitar is a dealer order.

Dealers either place customer-specific orders or place orders with PRS in the hopes of selling them.

You already have the option of "ordering with a hard case" - if you want a hard case, add it to your order, like a box of strings. You get a free gig bag out if it too!
Just saying I would prefer the option of not having to buy one of the factory cases (hard or soft) and/or choose the one I want (yes, through my dealer order) rather than being told "we know best, this is what you get, go buy what you want after we charge you for something you don't want". Are their options to get the case I want? Of course there are, but it is not rocket science to allow a consumer/dealer to say give me a hard case or a soft case or no case at all rather than forcing people to get something they don't want (NONE of which is free) and contribute to the over consumption that is a hallmark of America. Simply another "option" for the Camps of case options listed above ;~))

I had a similar thing happen to me when I purchased my 100th Anniversary Screamin' Eagle Deuce from Harley Davidson's "Custom Vehicle Operations". The bike had not been built and I said, hey dealer (yes, I had to order it through a dealer), I want these wheels on that "custom" bike rather than the ones it comes with. The reply was "sure, you will get the bike with the wheels it is made with and you can then buy the wheels you like and put them on". That would have left me with an extra set of wheels I did not want and I would have to sell, give them away or throw away. Not a best practice IMO from a consumer satisfaction or green footprint scenario.

Ok, I'm trying to get a read on the opinions on this. So, should I put you down as a "the hardshell case should be included and raise the price to cover it?"
First off, they'd have to drop the cost of the gig bag from the overall cost of the guitar. Then they should add what it costs them for the case and a little more. Not the full $300 (if that's what it costs me to buy just a case from them) because that would be pretty scummy IMO.

Some of this reminds me of Henry Ford. You can have that car in any color you want, so long as it’s black.

It also strikes me that this is such a trivial thing. It’s not hard to arrange whatever a person wants with a dealer. It’s not hard to purchase something separately. None of this is hard stuff. It’s not rocket science. There are fewer variables than ordering lunch.

Is it really about the money? Is someone who’s in a position to buy a $3k guitar that hard up? If so, the questionable choice isn’t the type of case.

Maybe I’m not a person who should have an opinion on this. My cases and gig bags mostly sit unloved and unnoticed in a room I rarely visit. On the odd occasion that a guitar leaves the house, it’s in a gig bag.

First off, they'd have to drop the cost of the gig bag from the overall cost of the guitar. Then they should add what it costs them for the case and a little more. Not the full $300 (if that's what it costs me to buy just a case from them) because that would be pretty scummy IMO.
Let me get this straight. You are saying that it would be “scummy” of them to charge retail for a case. They should forgo any normal pricing models sell it to you for “just a little more” than cost.

I fully understand your comments, I’m just trying to guess which planet you live on. :D

Last edited:
Camp 4: If a Santana leaves Stevensville in a hardcase at 3:50PM via UPS and a second identical Santana leaves Stevensville in a gig bag at 3:52PM via FedEx and both of them arrive at my house at precisely the same time…which one needs a string change first? Doesn’t matter, I have 2.
That would depend. Are they African or European Santanas?

Let me get this straight. You are saying that it would be “scummy” of them to charge retail for a case. They should forgo any normal pricing models sell it to you for “must a little more” than cost.

I fully understand your comments, I’m just trying to guess which planet you live on. :D

Correct, they have no need to charge retail for a case when I've already bought a $3000 guitar. Ok fanboy?

The way some of you stick up for the stupid crap PRS does is something else. So I guess you're implying that Paul is just too stupid to figure out how to do what every other guitar maker can. Priceless!

Last edited:
Correct, they have no need to charge retail for a case when I've already bought a $3000 guitar. Ok fanboy?

The way some of you stick up for the stupid crap PRS does is something else. So I guess you're implying that Paul is just too stupid to figure out how to do what every other guitar maker can. Priceless!
Clueless post of the year. I know it’s early, but I think you just locked up the award.

As has been noted by many, Paul takes his guitars to gigs in bags,
Paul doesn‘t pay for his guitars. (please dont try to tell me he does) Paul can have someone fix, or replace something on his guitars if they get damaged, for free. and I’m sure someone looks after Paul’s guitars wherever he takes them more-so then they would mine or yours.
PS- I find it hard to believe anyone would take a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar out anywhere, and not use a hard case.

Last edited:
Back