PRS: Why is the price point so high to get a hard case included with the guitar?

Should just be able to post pictures directly from my device IMO. Oh well.
PRS doesn't want to pay for the storage (and management) of a million photos from posters like you and me. Nor be responsible for managing the content - if you upload something, they have to make sure it abides by the law these days. So only allowing linking to 3rd party sites (that already do that heavy lifting, in theory, or at least take the responsibility) relieves them of that task.

If you can directly upload a photo from your phone, it probably means that site is profiting from your presence through ads or otherwise. Since this forum is free of charge to use and is ad-free...

Anyway...

Has anyone tried to fit the NF 53 or MK into a regular PRS multi-fit case yet? I haven't seen anyone remark on it, but I might have missed it.

PRS doesn't want to pay for the storage (and management) of a million photos from posters like you and me. Nor be responsible for managing the content - if you upload something, they have to make sure it abides by the law these days. So only allowing linking to 3rd party sites (that already do that heavy lifting, in theory, or at least take the responsibility) relieves them of that task.

If you can directly upload a photo from your phone, it probably means that site is profiting from your presence through ads or otherwise. Since this forum is free of charge to use and is ad-free...
This should be on the sign up / registration page or a sticky.

Last edited:

Yup, you took the words out of my mouth. Its literally as simple as going to imgbb, upload photo, copy code, paste, open booze in celebration. There's no reason for this forum to host images.

Lol, I've used this username for years, - it finally serves a purpose! I don't know what to tell ya, I was doing a little off the cuff research and the manufacturers I looked at provide a hardshell once you hit a certain price tag, this included Gibson, Fender, ESP. G&L, Schecter, D'Angelico, and Ibanez, and that price varies between about $1500 to 2200. B.C. Rich sells separately, and Music Man provides a high quality gig bag. I didn't bother with sub brands (Gretsch, Jackson, Charvell, Kramer, etc.). No standard guitar case has a cost to the manufacturer of 200/300. That's the retail price. Molded ABS like you get with a Fender American Professional is probably 20 bucks, if even. Maybe the PRS' target audience is pros who have fancy flight cases or what not. I get that part of this economies of scale, so the massive corp manufacturers have less trouble making good on the hardshell, but the optics of this - particularly for a $3K guitar like the Myles Kennedy or NF 53 - is cheap -or - (what I consider worst) elitist: if you can spend X on a guitar you can spend Y on a case. Obviously, I'm not the first one to have this thought, lol. I don't know, I find it disappointing and it could color any decision I make on buying a PRS. Maybe not, too.
I'm glad PRS went to soft cases. They protect the guitar well enough, and don't cost a fortune to ship should you sell the guitar. PRS hard cases were probably the heaviest weight of any of the main manufacturers. I didn't appreciate spending $125 to ship 2 states away because the cases are excessively heavy. I'm sure anyone who has to regularly load or unload 6 PRS hard cases every night appreciates them too.

I have a '97 HBII, more beautiful and sounds better than when I got it in '97. I wouldn't walk it across street in a soft case.

I'm glad PRS went to soft cases. They protect the guitar well enough, and don't cost a fortune to ship should you sell the guitar. PRS hard cases were probably the heaviest weight of any of the main manufacturers. I didn't appreciate spending $125 to ship 2 states away because the cases are excessively heavy. I'm sure anyone who has to regularly load or unload 6 PRS hard cases every night appreciates them too.

I have a '97 HBII, more beautiful and sounds better than when I got it in '97. I wouldn't walk it across street in a soft case.

So you want soft cases, but, you don't want soft cases? So you agree then that a guitar at the level of your HBII should have a hard case. I think that is what a group of us are saying. PRS Core and above guitars should have hard cases, IMHO, and others share that thought.

So you want soft cases, but, you don't want soft cases? So you agree then that a guitar at the level of your HBII should have a hard case. I think that is what a group of us are saying. PRS Core and above guitars should have hard cases, IMHO, and others share that thought.

Circle logic is the only reason this thread has gone on for 7 pages. I believe I summarized all of it back on page 2 or 3. ;):p

EDIT: Sorry, it was page 4 :rolleyes::D

Circle logic is the only reason this thread has gone on for 7 pages. I believe I summarized all of it back on page 2 or 3. ;):p

EDIT: Sorry, it was page 4 :rolleyes::D
OMG, this thread is still going? I thought I burned enough people to get the fire department involved, but oh well....a dragon's job is never done till it's all ashes.

If you are not buying a 'Core' guitar, then you are essentially opting for a 'cheaper' option, looking to 'save' some money so why add on the 'extra' cost difference between a soft and hard case, making the guitar 'more' expensive - not only the additional cost of a hardcase, but also weight when it comes to shipping/distribution costs - all of which is passed on to the Customer.. Acoustic/HB guitars arguably would require more 'protection' so it's understandable why they may opt to supply Hard Cases to prevent losses of damaged in transit products.

Point is that your SE/S2/Bolt-on guitars would cost more than they currently do because the 'extra' cost of supplying Hard Cases, as well as 'extra' costs in distribution etc would increase that 'cost'. Its not as if you cannot trade in the Softcase if you want and purchase a hard case if you prefer. At one point, if you wanted a 'case' at all with ANY 'new' guitar, that was sold separately regardless.

The whole point of the SE/S2 ranges in particular was to make guitars much more 'affordable' and Soft cases are part of that method of reducing the 'cost' to the Customer.

I've carried my PS HBII in a leather Levy's Gig Bag for over 20 years...
Excellent bags. I had two, and also a couple of Reunion Blues leather bags when they were still making them.

Used them to fly to Europe a few times for recording sessions.

Leather is very protective, which is why they use it for shoes. Great material for a gig bag shell.

My only caveat: With today's overcrowded flights and overhead bins full of heavy rolling cases, I'd need to fly with a Calton (or similar) case to avoid potential nervous breakdowns about what might happen to the guitar.

Excellent bags. I had two, and also a couple of Reunion Blues leather bags when they were still making them.

Used them to fly to Europe a few times for recording sessions.

Leather is very protective, which is why they use it for shoes. Great material for a gig bag shell.

My only caveat: With today's overcrowded flights and overhead bins full of heavy rolling cases, I'd need to fly with a Calton (or similar) case to avoid potential nervous breakdowns about what might happen to the guitar.
You could always buy a seat for your guitar next to you (and hope it does not get bumped in the overselling of the seats) ;~)) You would not be the first nor last to do so!

EDIT: Just don't tell anyone you have an "axe" in your case! That could lead to some discomfort for you and others ;~))

You could always buy a seat for your guitar next to you (and hope it does not get bumped in the overselling of the seats) ;~)) You would not be the first nor last to do so!

EDIT: Just don't tell anyone you have an "axe" in your case! That could lead to some discomfort for you and others ;~))
Seems to me that a Calton or Hoffee case would be considerably less expensive than buying the guitar a seat after only a few flights.

United would STILL find a way to **** up your guitar, even in a Calton case!
No worries, Detroit is a Delta hub! :)

Seriously, when you have to fly commercial with a guitar for a paying gig, there aren't many baggage-handler-proof choices.

Among hard cases, wooden cases are least likely to survive baggage handlers. They're not built for it, the only chance is if they're in a cardboard shipping box.

There are molded travel cases like the 22 pound Gator Titan. They're big, they're heavier than a hard wood case, and are likely to have to be checked as baggage. At least they have wheels.

There are traditional road cases that weigh even more; and they have to be checked. These can be ordered with wheels, too.

Then there are 12-13 pound cases by companies like Calton and Hoffee made of strong, lighter materials that have a good air travel track record. The drawback is they cost quite a bit. At least they have a fighting chance of fitting into an overhead bin. or being put in the plane's closet in front.

You won't be weighed down too badly when you have to drag your ass around the airport, and they're not difficult to stuff into a smaller Uber or taxi with the rest of your stuff.

All this assumes that the airline doesn't lose them! :eek:

No worries, Detroit is a Delta hub! :)

Seriously, when you have to fly commercial with a guitar for a paying gig, there aren't many baggage-handler-proof choices.

Among hard cases, wooden cases are least likely to survive baggage handlers. They're not built for it, the only chance is if they're in a cardboard shipping box.

There are molded travel cases like the 22 pound Gator Titan. They're big, they're heavier than a hard wood case, and are likely to have to be checked as baggage. At least they have wheels.

There are traditional road cases that weigh even more; and they have to be checked. These can be ordered with wheels, too.

Then there are 12-13 pound cases by companies like Calton and Hoffee made of strong, lighter materials that have a good air travel track record. The drawback is they cost quite a bit. At least they have a fighting chance of fitting into an overhead bin. or being put in the plane's closet in front.

You won't be weighed down too badly when you have to drag your ass around the airport, and they're not difficult to stuff into a smaller Uber or taxi with the rest of your stuff.

All this assumes that the airline doesn't lose them! :eek:
Those are some great arguments to buy your guitar a seat on the . . . ! Oh, never mind!!

Back