Over The Shoulder Guitar Holder

László

Too Many Notes
It was time.

My wood PRS cases weigh 18+ pounds apiece, empty. I'll always store the guitars in their wood cases, but for getting around...no. It was hard enough a decade ago. Now it's become...shall we say...a bit untenable. I just can't carry 26 pounds or so (with the guitar) around any more. I needed a gig bag.

[my wife] "What in god's name are you watching?"

[me] "A YouTube video of two guys demoing or reviewing a gig bag."

"OK, but...what language are they speaking?"

"Korean."

"But...you don't speak Korean."

"True. But I couldn't find a review in English. And did you notice that 'whoahhhh' comment when they opened the bag just now? They must be impressed."

"What if they're saying 'Whoahhhh this really sucks'? How would you know?"

"Hmmm. Good question."

I ordered the bag anyway, I'll give a full report when it arrives in a few days. It's one that hasn't been talked about here yet.

Last edited:
What make didja get?

I've been very happy with Reunion Blues...
I loved the US-made Reunion Blues leather bags I had for years; I had one for my bass and a second one for my guitars. Good stuff. But they no longer make them, and I sold the two I had long ago when I thought I was over gig bags.

However, I seriously considered the RB Continental, it's a terrific bag. I was also impressed with my son's Mono M80 when I saw it - a very well made bag. I think the Gator Icon is also a contender; I liked what I saw in videos (haven't seen one in person and couldn't find one locally).

What I ordered is the Gruv Gear Gig Blade 3 Karbon. Granted, the name is pure cheese, but it does look like a quality item.

Despite the fact that these guys apparently don't know how to SPEL 'groove 'or 'carbon' (I'm reminded of a chain of car wash places in my area called Jax Kar Wash), it appears to be a pretty sweet bag. I haven't seen one in person either - I took a flyer on it for one reason:

When you want to carry the bag hands-free, it's made so you carry it on a shoulder and it rides lower than your head. You don't have to duck going down stairs or through doorways. Because it's on your side instead of your back, your legs don't hit it either. Since I go up and down stairs at home, and like to make as few trips as possible to the car if I go out for a session, I think they've hit on a good idea and it's worth a shot.

It does look in video as nicely made as the other bags I was interested in, and the 1680 Ballistic Nylon covering is like the stuff on the Tumi luggage I use - it could probably survive a nuclear explosion, which is more than I can say for myself.

Everything else about it appears to be comparable to the other bags I looked at, though it costs a bit more. If what I bought it for turns out to suit my needs, it'll still be good value. If not, the store has an excellent return policy.

Last edited:
Hopefully it'll turn out to be great when I load a guitar in. A few reviews of the previous model say these seem to reduce the back strain of carrying a guitar or bass. That would be heaven for my poor spine!
It should be WAY better!
On top of that, the OHSC will remain in excellent condition.

I Have Been Incredibly Happy With Mono.
My son really likes his Mono dual guitar bag, and tours the world with it. Seeing his after his Wrigley Field gig gave me the idea to look into a bag again after years with only hard cases. They feel/look like first-cabin quality.

His looked brand spanking new despite flying with the bag loaded with the weight of two guitars, to the UK for a tour, being thrown into various ground transportation scenarios, flying back to LA, flying to Chicago, then flying here (Michigan). I mean, not a visible mark, pull, rip or other sign of wear on the bag, and he is pretty hard on his gear.

He doesn't baby it. I was impressed. If a bag can survive my son, it's a good bag.

Seems like there are several gig bags with varying details that will appeal to different users, that are all very well designed and made. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them. This Gig Blade appealed to my back; the reviews mention it really seems to lighten the load. Hence my interest.
Checked it out on the web. It looks pretty cool. Post some photos when you get it, show us how your guitars fit and look in it. :cool:
Will do. Who knows, I may even...rant! ;)

"You're definitely gonna waste bandwidth on it, aren't ya?"

"You know me..."

Last edited:
My son really likes his Mono dual guitar bag, and tours the world with it. Seeing his after his Wrigley Field gig gave me the idea to look into a bag again after years with only hard cases. They feel/look like first-cabin quality.

His looked brand spanking new despite flying with the bag loaded with the weight of two guitars, to the UK for a tour, being thrown into various ground transportation scenarios, flying back to LA, flying to Chicago, then flying here (Michigan). I mean, not a visible mark, pull, rip or other sign of wear on the bag, and he is pretty hard on his gear.

He doesn't baby it. I was impressed. If a bag can survive my son, it's a good bag.

Seems like there are several gig bags with varying details that will appeal to different users, that are all very well designed and made. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them. This Gig Blade appealed to my back; the reviews mention it really seems to lighten the load. Hence my interest.

Will do. Who knows, I may even...rant! ;)

"You're definitely gonna waste bandwidth on it, aren't ya?"

"You know me..."
Always look forward to your rants!! ;)

Your YouTube review had me dying…and chanting “one of us”. I too have found myself listening to foreign reviews of pickups and guitars

Back