MONO Vertigo & CE24 Question

I just had a correspondence with Reunion Blues. They recommended this case to fit either the S2 Studio or the Santana:
https://reunionblues.com/collection...ntinental-electric-guitar-case-voyager-series

The PRS premium looks good T $89 on sale also. I don’t think I’d fly with it, but really it would just be for taking the Santana to lessons and stuff.
The reunion blues and PRS premium cases are pretty nice! As are the mono.

I might go with the Gator Icon. I like that it doesn't have leather or fabric appliqué protectors where the strings and headstock are. Those things are never in the right place, and some of them rub against the paint on the PRS'. The Icon has microfiber fabric of some kind for its entire length, which means it shouldn't damage the guitar's finish.

The case also looks very well made. Evidently they make their stuff in Indiana, instead of somewhere offshore.

The reunion blues and PRS premium cases are pretty nice! As are the mono.

I might go with the Gator Icon. I like that it doesn't have leather or fabric appliqué protectors where the strings and headstock are. Those things are never in the right place, and some of them rub against the paint on the PRS'. The Icon has microfiber fabric of some kind for its entire length, which means it shouldn't damage the guitar's finish.

The case also looks very well made. Evidently they make their stuff in Indiana, instead of somewhere offshore.
FYI, I did a quick internet search on the weight of various gig bags and this is what I found:

Mono Vertigo - 3 - 7 lbs
Gator Icon - 9.6 - 12.2 lbs
RBX - 4 - 4.6 lbs

Now this does NOT cover all models from each of the mfrs, and some of the weights may not be accurate, but something to note. I saw a few reviews of the Gator Icon exclaiming that it was heavy, but amazing protection for a gig bag! László I know you are looking for a lighter solution, so you may want to check with your retailer to ensure you are not getting a 12 lb anchor in your new bag!!

I'm curious about those brown Gator cases that look like an old Les Paul case from the 50's.

Seems like the price is coming down on those from well over $200 to about $169 now.

They seem like a nice case for a Singlecut or Bernie Marsden, but I've not seen one in person.

Easier to cart around than those big rectangular PRS/Fender style wooden cases.

FYI, I did a quick internet search on the weight of various gig bags and this is what I found:

Mono Vertigo - 3 - 7 lbs
Gator Icon - 9.6 - 12.2 lbs
RBX - 4 - 4.6 lbs

Now this does NOT cover all models from each of the mfrs, and some of the weights may not be accurate, but something to note. I saw a few reviews of the Gator Icon exclaiming that it was heavy, but amazing protection for a gig bag! László I know you are looking for a lighter solution, so you may want to check with your retailer to ensure you are not getting a 12 lb anchor in your new bag!!
Thanks! I did check Gator's spec, at the electric guitar model of icon is 9.6, which is still about 8 pounds lighter than the PS hard case that I weighed this AM.

The mono is lighter; I really like it, but it has that darn rough material string protector thing. That kinda bugs me, though I could always put a microfiber cloth between that and the guitar.

Last edited:
That's good to hear!

Did you notice anything like I've noted with the tuners?
some discolorization but no tears, and these cases were treated pretty much like hard cases as far as packing in the truck. with respect to stacking, guitars were on the top of other gear but i never had an issue stacking guitars on top of guitars in mono cases. if you've ever seen PRSh tossing around guitars at Exoerience you get my drift.

Anyone have direct feedback on the PRS Premium bag? I’m thinking about getting one while they’re on sale.

I have one of the mono sleeve bags from nearly 10 years ago and it does the same thing. The only problem I ever have is sometimes the PRS with the locking tuners will be out of tune on the D and G strings where the case pushes on them.

Yeah my SE gig bag does that too! First world problems eh? ;)

do it. Best gig bag PRS offers. Better padding than the bags you get with SEs or S2s/CE
Dang it! I’d talked myself out of it, then saw this and ordered. I’ll either have an old, beastly Santana wood case in the closet (probably), or a spare S2 case. Oh well, I’m running afoul of my “Swedish Death Purge.”

The PRS Premium bag came in today. It is much sleeker than the S2 bag. The S2 bag is like a guy that lost 50 lb of extra weight real fast. He looks good because he lost a bunch of weight, but he doesn’t look near as good as he will a year later after working out, and after all the loose skin tightens up. The premium bag looks like the guy does after the year of working out. It’s a little narrower at the neck and at the body. The premium bag arguably has a little more padding. The front pocket is just neater and cleaner. The bag has a more firm foam border all the way around. The rubber scuff guards are more robust. The straps tuck in more nicely. The handles are much “nicer,” especially the the one on top of the body for single handed carry (the “usual” handle). The premium bag does NOT have the triple secret closet hanger hook in a pocket on the back of the neck like the SE and S2 bags do - I was mildly bummed about that. In conclusion - I would not trade up from an S2 bag unless you just want the cleaner look, I don’t think you gain any in protection. Well, maybe a tiny bit, but arguable. I would pay the extra $15 or so for the premium bag if you are adding it for when you don’t want the beastly PRS hard case (my justification), or are buying one for a “naked” guitar. I haven’t held a Mono or other high end, high protection bag in my hands, but I don’t think the premium bag provides that level of protection. I wouldn’t fly with one unless I bought the guitar it’s own seat, or flew first class. I’m not sure a guitar would live through even a gate check in one 100% of the time. For my use, in the guitar corner, and not the beastly hard case, trips to lessons, it’s about perfect.

Gig bag!?!? Why no hardshell case included?
2003 Santana III. It came with the20 year old hard shell case, which is a beast. I bought the gig bag for ease of handling around the house and taking it to lessons. They were on sale over the 4th of July week.

Edit - I finally got the joke…

Last edited:
The PRS Premium bag came in today. It is much sleeker than the S2 bag. The S2 bag is like a guy that lost 50 lb of extra weight real fast. He looks good because he lost a bunch of weight, but he doesn’t look near as good as he will a year later after working out, and after all the loose skin tightens up. The premium bag looks like the guy does after the year of working out. It’s a little narrower at the neck and at the body. The premium bag arguably has a little more padding. The front pocket is just neater and cleaner. The bag has a more firm foam border all the way around. The rubber scuff guards are more robust. The straps tuck in more nicely. The handles are much “nicer,” especially the the one on top of the body for single handed carry (the “usual” handle). The premium bag does NOT have the triple secret closet hanger hook in a pocket on the back of the neck like the SE and S2 bags do - I was mildly bummed about that. In conclusion - I would not trade up from an S2 bag unless you just want the cleaner look, I don’t think you gain any in protection. Well, maybe a tiny bit, but arguable. I would pay the extra $15 or so for the premium bag if you are adding it for when you don’t want the beastly PRS hard case (my justification), or are buying one for a “naked” guitar. I haven’t held a Mono or other high end, high protection bag in my hands, but I don’t think the premium bag provides that level of protection. I wouldn’t fly with one unless I bought the guitar it’s own seat, or flew first class. I’m not sure a guitar would live through even a gate check in one 100% of the time. For my use, in the guitar corner, and not the beastly hard case, trips to lessons, it’s about perfect.
I would go on record as saying the premium case has more protection. Much sturdier heastock wise and for the bottom of the guitar. But I get what you’re saying that it’s not built like a tank that some other gig bags are advertised for. Typically those cost a significant more. But this bag would be perfect for the purpose of car travel and local gigs. I wish the signature was on the front and not the side. It would look better than the boring lettering.

I would go on record as saying the premium case has more protection. Much sturdier heastock wise and for the bottom of the guitar. But I get what you’re saying that it’s not built like a tank that some other gig bags are advertised for. Typically those cost a significant more. But this bag would be perfect for the purpose of car travel and local gigs. I wish the signature was on the front and not the side. It would look better than the boring lettering.
Yeah, it’s perfect for car and storage. As you note, less than half the price of a Mono or similar. I like it. The more I look at it next to the S2 bag, the more I consider getting another and selling the S2 bag just for vanity’s sake.

I'm still on the fence about getting a Mono bag to schlep around. I like the weight - a little over 5 pounds - and was impressed with the Mono bag my son's been touring with. It was pretty darn well made, and I'm picky.

The only thing I don't like about it is the material used for the string protectors for the lower body and headstock, though the headstock one is unlikely to touch the paint on the guitar. The material feels abrasive.

But I can always put a microfiber cloth between it and the guitar and have the benefits inherent in the bag. I seem to be talking myself into it, don't I? :rolleyes:

So… I went to the local (Tweed Hut - also have a pretty solid Reverb presence, and super nice folks) to pick up some strings after my little escapade with backing a pickup height screw too far out. That was my first mistake. Second mistake, I walked into the “cases, bags and other random stuff” room. Third mistake (noting that mistake is synonymous with “fortuitous event” in this story), I asked Matt (owner) if he’d take less than $100 for the PRS Premium bag hanging in there. $96 out the door. I now have two matching premium bags, and one empty S2 / Signature bag to figure out what to do with. Anyone local-ish to the SF Bay Area that wants a good deal on it hit me up via PM I guess. Otherwise, I guess I’ll save it for the partscaster tele I want to build one of these days. The premium bags are uh, just ah, more premium, man.

Last edited:
I've relatively recently had both the SE and S2 bags. I had them side by side for a little while. The SE bag is nice enough, its a lightly padded bare bones bag. The S2 bag seems to have a bit more padding, and it has a velcro'd in headstock protector - just a piece of velvet covered stiff foam that forms a "U" over the head stock. It also has a ring of padding around the body area that the SE bag does not. Given the choice, I'd take the S2 bag over the SE just for that headstock protector. Even so, I'd want something more substantial for anything other than in the "Guitar Corner" storage and taking it to lessons or something. I'm curious about the PRS deluxe bags or whatever. I'm not sure if that is what the S2 bag is, or if the deluxe is a step up. I just went to the PRS accessories page. It looks like the S2 gets the "Signature" bag. The premium bag looks a little more heavy duty. The Signature and premium bags are on sale at about $15 off, $80.75 for the Signature, $89.25 for the premium. I'm kinda tempted for my Santana - the freakin' 20 year old case is a beast!
I opted to get the PRS premium bags for DGT, P22 and Santana for local gigs. I love them. Small and padded enough. More padding and much nicer (tighter) fit than the SE and S2 bags. I can’t deal with the heavy PRS cases. They’re in storage as my guitars live on stands in my music room cause they’re played all the time.
If I was bringing any of them on a plane or doing any touring, well that’s a different story……

Last edited:
Back