String Change Foreplay.

You need one of these...

View attachment 11632

"Ron Thorn Not Included..."
I had a very similar setup before I moved to Florida. I don't really have the room for it here. I use the bigger mechanical strobe tuner. I still have that and have it on my recording desk. I have been doing my guitar work on that desk lately. Mine had a different brand of beer though. :)

You're my hero! That's way too complicated and gigantic for me.

That is pretty slick! If I had the room, I would definitely get one!!

It really isn't that big. It folds in half and latches shut. When you are ready to use it you open the latch and unfold it then the neck rest uses the outside latch to hold it in place when you put it up and lock it in. I typically set this up on the bar in my kitchen which if I remember right is about 19" wide. This allows me to keep all of my tools in one place and set it up in less than a minute.

He swears by 'em! I personally could not handle having pics that cost that much!! I could lose my nose if it was not attached, so having something like that to lose so easily, not my bag baby!!! To each his own ;~))
Same here. I bought the V-picks 10 years ago when they became a thing. It took me three days to lose them all.

You are now officially my new best friend and I'm sending you all of my guitars at once! :)
If I still lived up there closer to you, I would gladly do them for you. I enjoy cleaning, stringing and setting up guitars. It is kind of a mind clearing event for me. I just love guitars so much that making a guitar play at the top of it's potential is something I love doing.

Here's my answer: store the allen wrenches in the guitar! I have one for the truss rod, one for the saddle heights, and one for the trem posts. I also have a small philips screw driver and a guitar pick. The back cover is held on by magnets, so it's easy to get to these when I need them.

ehD5XOa.jpg

Guitar tool emergencies while driving are kind of a rarity for me, so that wouldn't be a great spot for them. ;)

But I keep an Altoids-style tin with glucose tablets in the center storage compartment for low blood glucose emergencies, so I do understand the utility of the mint tin/car console storage solution!

I came up with a logical solution I'll take a pic of and post later.
I understand. My gear maintenance and repair stuff I keep in a couple locations, so I can always find what I might need in likely 10 or 15 minutes, not 2 hours.

About 5 years ago, I purchased a standard footlocker chest from the Army/Navy Surplus downstate that sits in my living room where my music gear resides. Inside the footlocker are 4 metal ammo cans that store guitar maintenance stuff, strings and cleaning, instrument and mic cables, and patch cables, adapters and stuff. I also keep my 2x FRFR gig bags in the footlocker, with some extra IEC and AC extension cords. The footlocker does double-duty as a coffee table when needed, and is handy place to place coasters and your beer, and maybe a Kleenex box.

Like you, I imagine you own a PRS utility gear bag PRS used to sell some years ago. That's mostly my travel bag for immediate guitar needs if ever I bring a guitar out to an open-mic or jam. It's got some small tools and accessories that are useful when doing string changes, bandaging a cut promptly, extra picks, capos, cables, masking and electrical tape, maybe an extra wall-wart to lend, and spare batteries, always.

I also own a concrete block bookshelf that was originally part of my college dorm days, that I built upwards of. The shelves extend several inches either side of the concrete blocks, and are a great place to store guitar cleaner, lemon oil, Mirror Glaze, FingerEase, and additional cleaners.

Last place I keep gear-related stuff is a plastic drawer storage unit that I keep my velcro, glues, and Loctite. The storage unit also serves as a place for odds and ends that wouldn't fit into toolboxes, or canvas tool bags.

TBH, Les, it sounds like you might benefit from a day or two of organizing your maintenance/repair stuff. If not the footlocker, maybe a nice antique wooden chest from a garage or estate sale. Then, instead of Laszlo, you could pursue that swashbuckler dream you've had these past few months...

Like you, I imagine you own a PRS utility gear bag PRS used to sell some years ago. That's mostly my travel bag for immediate guitar needs if ever I bring a guitar out to an open-mic or jam.
I did own one, but my son's band came into town while on their tour a few years ago, and the other guitar player had his odds and ends, including a few pedals, in a cardboard box. He needed something better, so I insisted he take my PRS utility bag.

However, I recently got a Mesa utility bag with similar dividers, etc, that's very useful for guitar sessions, and also for field recording for sound effects. I take a small hand held recorder, some mics, headphones, etc., for that.
TBH, Les, it sounds like you might benefit from a day or two of organizing your maintenance/repair stuff. If not the footlocker, maybe a nice antique wooden chest from a garage or estate sale. Then, instead of Laszlo, you could pursue that swashbuckler dream you've had these past few months...
You might be underestimating my capacity for neatness and organization, just a little. My studio is pretty well organized.

I have a five drawer chest solely for microphone accessories, spare tubes (I have lots of NOS), dynamic microphones, condenser microphones, ribbon microphones, and extra pedals, all laid out in an organized way in their cases. I also have bookshelves and desks with storage areas, and gear racks.

Everything's pretty well set up, including inside the shelves (there are small bits and accessories in the baskets, mostly for mic stands) and drawers. This is the front and back of my studio room.

XVs68Aq.jpg

oZPWl3P.jpg

In my storage room I have tool boxes and soft tool cases set up for various tasks - one for electronics repair with soldering iron, extra connectors, Fluke multimeter, etc; one for general household repair; a case for general studio maintenance; one for my power drill/power screwdriver, and Dremel set; a case for power cords and spare power strips; a large rubbermaid waterproof footlocker for extra cables; a case for computer equipment; one for pedal board supplies and tools; and one for the very small amount of guitar maintenance I do.

I don't do my own guitar setups. Luthiers like Jack Gretz are far better at it. Maybe I'll tweak a truss rod a tiny amount.

So for guitar I'm talking about tools I need for changing strings, like wire clippers, for cleaning and polishing, packages of strings, etc.

There are also about ten clear plastic storage bins for small boxes, spare MIDI stuff, and other nonessential items.

They're all on a set of wire shelving units in my storage room (not shown in pics).

I just didn't remember which box I put the Allen wrenches in, because they get used for multiple things. The little plastic case got hidden under something, so I didn't see it.

Last edited:
Back