PRS: Why is the price point so high to get a hard case included with the guitar?

I wouldn't even use a gig bag for a $200 Dean ML.
I can't remember the last time I DIDN'T take one of my PRS guitars (including my PS Hollowbody) out in either a PRS gig bag or a Levy's leather gig bag... That goes for my Fenders and my Thorn Artisan as well...

The only guitars I take out in their cases are the ones that don't fit in a gig bag...

Okay, and maybe my Les Pauls... That fragile headstock might be an issue...

This conversation is getting silly.

Here's the simple fact:

The hard case that comes with the Core and PS is NOT coming to you free! Get that idea out of your head.

(...)

I've always felt that PRS should have stuck with their Core and PS models and sold to the doctors, dentists, entrepreneurs and lawyers who understand how business works! [kidding, of course...kinda] ;)
"Just when I thought I was out ... they PULL me back in!"

If providing a gig bag with a ~$3K guitar is a conscious decision as 'artists take their instruments to gigs in gig bags' - I can deal with that.
If you're saying that there's no wiggle room to include a hardshell case that probably costs the mfr maybe $50 in that ~$3K ... you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

As a side note, as I'm not guitar dealer, economist, actuary, or quantity surveyor, I would be really curious what the actual costs are for your average hard case if anyone knows those facts.

I would invite you to visit Sweetwater.com, look at solidbody electric guitars, and look at models from $2.5K up. With the exception of EBMM (they provide a Mono light case) and B.C. Rich (didn't know they were still around...) they all include the hardshell case. Just saying...

Will this issue prevent me from potentially buying a PRS in a gig bag that isn't an SE - probably not - but it will make it a slightly unsatisfactory consumer experience. Hopefully, if I go that way, the 'amazeballz-edness' of the PRS will more than make up for it.

The last time I saw David Grissom, he walked through the door with an SE gig bag. Paul uses an SE gig bag. After 50 years of playing, it's all gig bags for me, from SE to Wood Library. I have a 92 custom in a hard case. It never leaves the house. I don't like hard cases. I've saved them all for resale or my eventual death.

If providing a gig bag with a ~$3K guitar is a conscious decision as 'artists take their instruments to gigs in gig bags' - I can deal with that.
If you're saying that there's no wiggle room to include a hardshell case that probably costs the mfr maybe $50 in that ~$3K ... you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

As a side note, as I'm not guitar dealer, economist, actuary, or quantity surveyor, I would be really curious what the actual costs are for your average hard case if anyone knows those facts.

I would invite you to visit Sweetwater.com, look at solidbody electric guitars, and look at models from $2.5K up. With the exception of EBMM (they provide a Mono light case) and B.C. Rich (didn't know they were still around...) they all include the hardshell case. Just saying...

Will this issue prevent me from potentially buying a PRS in a gig bag that isn't an SE - probably not - but it will make it a slightly unsatisfactory consumer experience. Hopefully, if I go that way, the 'amazeballz-edness' of the PRS will more than make up for it.
They aren't PRS'.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

A couple flaws in your reply. First, have you seen a PRS case? Trust me, they don’t cost $50 wholesale. 3 times that, minimum is my estimate. They are STRONG and HEAVY cases, built to really protect the guitars. That’s why they’re so heavy.

As to the second quote, that one doesn’t work either. That’s like saying “it just doesn’t make sense that Mercedes won’t give me a V-8 in a $75K car because Chevy does.“ Like Les said, the price point INCLUDES a case or bag. PRS could clearly indicate the difference in MAP if they so choose to, by saying something like “MAP for a new Siover Sky is $2.695 with a bag, or $2950 with HSC.” But it’s not practical for dealers to order one with both and be left with whichever one you don’t want. So they choose a price point, and give you everything they can at that price.

I’m not giving you a hard time at all. Please understand that. But, what this boils down too is that your complaint isn’t really with the bag itself, it’s the price of the guitar. The “bar” for “what guitars do we try to keep the price down some by offering them in a gig bag” has moved up just like everything else. A few years ago, PRS clearly said that import parts and gig bag were chosen SOLELY to keep the CE at $1995. So we’re up to almost $3K guitars now where they’re doing that. I don’t like the price increases at all, but that goes for everything else we buy as well.

Look for a used case. There's bound to be some in music stores that will fit the bill.

Three years ago I bought an Epihone SG Pro that came with no case. Asked if they had any used ones and sure enough they did. Had a few rips here and there on the outer material but so what? Case cost $60.00. Done.

But I will say that last year I bought a Gibson SG Special that came with a hard shell case which was nice.

Look for a used case. There's bound to be some in music stores that will fit the bill.

Three years ago I bought an Epihone SG Pro that came with no case. Asked if they had any used ones and sure enough they did. Had a few rips here and there on the outer material but so what? Case cost $60.00. Done.

But I will say that last year I bought a Gibson SG Special that came with a hard shell case which was nice.
Excellent reply.

The contest will likely end up being LP Studio vs LP Classic vs LP Standard 60s vs LP Modern vs PRS S2 McCarty 594 SC vs PRS Myles Kennedy vs PRS Tremonti (Core) vs same in 10 Top vs *(any number of ESP set neck hardtail). May the best guitar win! If the winner doesn't include a hardshell case, I will definitely heed your advice. :D

Of course a case costs them more than $50. You may be thinking about materials as the input cost on a case. There’s more to it.

PRS doesn’t make the cases. They purchase them from a third party. That company has employees, a factory, and all of the costs associated with those. There’s storage and shipping. These are not small items.

Then PRS needs to pay the costs of receiving and storing them. That includes inspection. PRS makes somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 guitars in Maryland per year. Figure whatever percentage of those are lines that include a case—say 50%, just as a number. Just the physical space to double the number of cases is significant. The costs for shipping rise considerably, and have gone up already in the last couple of years.

Costs for cases has likely gone up considerably in the last few years, too. Plywood costs went through the roof.

Now take into account that PRS is making a lot more guitars than they used to. Is the warehouse space already there? In today’s tight labor market, are the workers to handle that available to hire?

What I’m getting at is that there are considerable costs associated with what you think should be done. Are you willing to spend considerably more? If so, purchasing a case as part of your guitar purchase really shouldn’t be an issue.

Whatever personal choices you make involving a case, for a company it’s considerably more complex. It may not even be possible, if the case supplier can’t increase their production easily.

Lastly, choosing a guitar based on whether or not it comes with a case is foolish. That implies that the choice of guitar really doesn’t matter much. If that’s your difference maker, that’s kind of nuts. How the case sounds, how it’s made, how it feels as you play it… Uh, no.

So, we have to remember when we are talking about hardcases, there is an element of how much protection do you want and how much are you willing to pay. A $50 cost hardcase is going to provide as much protection as a cheeto does as a door lock. I cant speculate with accuracy on the cost for a good hardshell case, but for a quality one made in the US which would run $300+ retail, cost will probably be 2/3rds of that, maybe more. Point is, better protection = more coin. All those guitars you cite on Sweetwater that include hardshell cases, they are not free...they are part of the purchase price and are generally going to be basic import hardshell cases, included so they can say "you get a hardshell at no additional cost" as a selling point,. However, chances are you will probably be replacing it with a better case down the road, so you dont really come out ahead. If my memory is right, Gibson's come with cases...and every one ive seen are all Chinese and flimsy, but hey! You got yer hardshell. So, yes, there is wiggle room to include the kind of low cost case youre asking for, but what youre asking for isnt really what you want.

Let me put it like this: If I got the cheddar to fork over $3000 on a PRS, what's it to me to drop a couple extra Benjamins on a quality case that I actually want? Its like buying a new Ferarri, while saying should come with Wish.com insurance, when you are probably going to get top of the line stuff separately regardless. I'd rather buy a guitar, not get a case, and go buy the case I want because what I'll buy is going to be far superior to anything I'd get included with the purchase price. I put my SE's in SKB i cases. I only need to buy it one time, and I never have to buy it again.

Last edited:
So, we have to remember when we are talking about hardcases, there is an element of how much protection do you want and how much are you willing to pay. A $50 cost hardcase is going to provide as much protection as a cheeto does as a door lock. I cant speculate with accuracy on the cost for a good hardshell case, but for a quality one made in the US which would run $300+ retail, cost will probably be 2/3rds of that, maybe more. Point is, better protection = more coin. All those guitars you cite on Sweetwater that include hardshell cases, they are not free...they are part of the purchase price and are generally going to be basic import hardshell cases, included so they can say "you get a hardshell at no additional cost" as a selling point,. However, chances are you will probably be replacing it with a better case down the road, so you dont really come out ahead. If my memory is right, Gibson's come with cases...and every one ive seen are all Chinese and flimsy, but hey! You got yer hardshell. So, yes, there is wiggle room to include the kind of low cost case youre asking for, but what youre asking for isnt really what you want.

Let me put it like this: If I got the cheddar to fork over $3000 on a PRS, what's it to me to drop a couple extra Benjamins on a quality case that I actually want? Its like buying a new Ferarri, while saying should come with Wish.com insurance, when you are probably going to get top of the line stuff separately regardless. I'd rather buy a guitar, not get a case, and go buy the case I want because what I'll buy is going to be far superior to anything I'd get included with the purchase price. I put my SE's in SKB i cases. I only need to buy it one time, and I never have to buy it again.
Op isn't talking about some cheap $50 case. They're talking about what it costs PRS to buy the cases they sell for, according to people here, $300. It doesn't cost PRS $300/ea for the cases they sell. Sure if WE want to buy ONE from PRS it'll cost $300, but PRS buys in bulk and I'd be surprised if they actually cost PRS $50/ea. If they want to tack $300 onto the cost of every guitar just for a case that cost them probably $30 then that's just greedy BS.

4aoqa9.jpg

another rant on cases? Enjoy what you have. Quit fussing about an accessory item. Also some of you guys gotta realize PRS does not create their cases. They purchase from somebody else. They past that cost on. It's why they have always been on core levels and above. For the higher end bolt ons they use their nicest gig bag for protection and looks. I prefer them much more than the hard cases.

Op isn't talking about some cheap $50 case. They're talking about what it costs PRS to buy the cases they sell for, according to people here, $300. It doesn't cost PRS $300/ea for the cases they sell. Sure if WE want to buy ONE from PRS it'll cost $300, but PRS buys in bulk and I'd be surprised if they actually cost PRS $50/ea. If they want to tack $300 onto the cost of every guitar just for a case that cost them probably $30 then that's just greedy BS.
Have you ever been a manufacturer or retail store owner? I've been both most of my life although I sold my business in 2015 and retired. Store is still going strong though.

In retail there's what's called "keystoning". It's a rule for the minimum price a product you're selling should be marked up in order to stay in business and make a profit.

The magic number used to be 2.2. Multiply the cost by 2.2 to figure out the minimum you can sell it for. Ask more if you can get it.

Anyway, If you buy it for $150. you sell it for $300 -330. That used to be the rule of thumb.

You basically sell it for double what you paid for it.

There's buyers and sellers.

Sellers want to stay in business.

Buyers don't care if the manufacturer or retailer stays in business.

They just want it cheap.

*Sigh* You didn't read my post did ya?

Don't make me bring out my Rings of Power rant. :p

PRS does some weird **** IMO. Hardshell case should be included.
Citation needed. What do you mean by "PRS does some weird ****". I'm not white knighting for PRS or anything....I mean cmon, I don't even have a t shirt, but you gotta explain your position.

Last edited:
The magic number used to be 2.2. Multiply the cost by 2.2 to figure out the minimum you can sell it for. Ask more if you can get it.

Anyway, If you buy it for $150. you sell it for $300 -330. That used to be the rule of thumb.

You basically sell it for double what you paid for it.
I used to run a retail business too. It's a general rule of thumb that cost is 50% of retail. Sometimes its more.

Ok...imagine a clickbait video here..."retail trade secrets the Man doesn't want you to know!"

I used to sell bbqs, Webers, Traeger, Big Green Egg, and the markup on those was small. Most of the time when you see them on sale, they are being sold at cost. The retailer makes money by selling you accessories, utensils and what not. So on average, cost on those was 90% retail. So, just an example that cost is not always as cheap as people think.

Last edited:
Back