Photos, let's see 'em

Christmas lights on the water

light.jpg

After a couple of months of absence, we thought we’d never see the twins again. Look who showed up in our back yard last night.

I used to shoot and eat those regularly... LoL!

Now I just leftover extra meat from hunter friends.

I used to shoot and eat those regularly... LoL!

Now I just leftover extra meat from hunter friends.

I’m not squeamish. I’ll eat elk, moose, and bison (and like it). I’ve eaten rattlesnake, lion, and alligator.

But, VENISON SUCKS!.

And it’s not because of how it’s prepared or on what they were fed, how quickly they were butchered, or what it is marinated with; That gaminess is omnipresent. Spaghetti, jerky, tenderloin; it doesn’t matter. I’ve eaten a ton of it (on the table a lot as a kid).

I’m not squeamish. I’ll eat elk, moose, and bison (and like it). I’ve eaten rattlesnake, lion, and alligator.

But, VENISON SUCKS!.

And it’s not because of how it’s prepared or on what they were fed, how quickly they were butchered, or what it is marinated with; That gaminess is omnipresent. Spaghetti, jerky, tenderloin; it doesn’t matter. I’ve eaten a ton of it (on the table a lot as a kid).

I’ve had good venison - really good venison, with no hint of gaminess. But I’ve also had venison that was so gamy it was pretty much inedible. My dad hunted for years and got a deer most years, so I had plenty of opportunity. But after a couple years where it was really gamy, I was done - I haven’t had venison in probably close to 40 years.

FWIW - when I say my dad got a deer most years, it was uncanny. He actually started getting bored with it, so one year for Christmas, he got a muzzleloader kit. Being in that ‘bigger and more powerful is better’ stage, I couldn’t understand why. He said muzzleloaders weren’t quite as reliable as modern rifles because of everything that could go wrong, so he figured it was going to be a challenge that would keep his interest for the next few years. He was pretty excited as he built and finished the gun - and my dad rarely shows emotion. First day of hunting season, I’m nestled up in bed, cozy and warm, and I feel a tug on my leg. I look up and my dad’s standing there. “You want to come help me with this?” I looked at the clock, and it wasn’t even 8:30. I said, “You’re kidding.” He looked so disappointed when he said, “No, I got one already.” I think he was in the woods less than an hour.

Finally connected to my computer, which I rarely use these days.

How about some cross beach fade, Honu style?

DSC-5740-A.jpg

The honu was swimming in this spot, Queen's Bath area on Kauai
DSC-5742-B.jpg

Waimea Canyon
DSC-5855-A-crop.jpg

Mind the (land) shark!

DSC-6205-A.jpg

Hanalei Bay
DSC-6211-A.jpg

Finally connected to my computer, which I rarely use these days.

How about some cross beach fade, Honu style?

DSC-5740-A.jpg

The honu was swimming in this spot, Queen's Bath area on Kauai
DSC-5742-B.jpg

Waimea Canyon
DSC-5855-A-crop.jpg

Mind the (land) shark!

DSC-6205-A.jpg

Hanalei Bay
DSC-6211-A.jpg
It’s good to see Kauai again! It’s been years. For me, it’s the best, most diverse terrain in Hawaii. Thanks for posting.

Back