A Christmas Surprise

grausch

So, 10 days before Christmas our local PRS dealer posted a picture on Facebook of a black S2 Satin Standard Singlecut that had just arrived. Apparently one of the last two to hit Europe. Since my 20th Anni was way overdue for a string change, and since I wanted to go a gauge lighter, and since I would find any excuse I needed, the 20th Anni and I headed to the dealer on the first Saturday immediately thereafter. This was the weekend before Christmas.

Plugging the S2 into a Blackstar HT-40, setting the gain to 5 and hitting the intro to Back in Black brought a big smile to my face. Played around a bit more and was thoroughly impressed. It was quite easy to get my type of hard rock tones from this guitar. It felt and sounded exactly like I had imagined and I handed it back to the dealer with a heavy heart. The only other guitar in his store (and I have tried quite a few) that made me feel this way was a SC 245 with 57/08s, but that sold before I could raise the funds for it.

On the way home, I kept thinking I should turn around and just buy the guitar. Got home and got my empty SKB-56 hard case which I got for the Bernie, but the Bernie did not fit. Still had a couple of hours before the store closed, so I got the Bernie as well, in order to compare it to the S2.

Just as I was about to leave, my youngest toppled over with a chair and managed to bite quite deeply into his tongue. Lots of blood and off to the ER for us - at least if you arrive with a bleeding toddler in your arms you get helped quite quickly. Got out of the hospital an hour before the store closed, but after that experience, buying a guitar wasn't exactly my number one priority. In any event, I reasoned I could always pick it up the Friday before Christmas.

For the next week, I checked the store's webpage at least 2 times (or perhaps 10 times) to ensure that it was still in stock. My luck held until Thursday when suddenly it sold. Saying I was disappointed is an understatement, but due to the internet, I found some in the UK. Imagine how happy I was to see a 20% Christmas discount applied to these. I did not buy one, as I was still deciding between a satin Vela (available locally) and the Singlecut. Figured I would go play the Vela once all the bank holidays were over and then buy whatever I liked most.

However, the wife and Santa Claus had other plans for me on Christmas Eve...

4hGQbIU.jpg

p5azR8P.jpg

n613AD0.jpg

rW0dM9b.jpg

The wife knew how badly I wanted this guitar and she also knew that I monitor our credit card activity on a daily basis. So, she needed to buy it on the Thursday as I would only see this on our statements the after the holidays.

When I picked up the 20th on Friday, the dealer greeted me with a bigger than usual smile. He was in on the surprise and had difficulty keeping a straight face. Good thing for him that another customer was waiting after me, otherwise he may have given away the surprise.

I had her quite worried when I found the S2s selling for a 20% discount, and of course she encouraged me to rather go play the Vela so that I can make an informed decision. As usual, she always encourages supporting local businesses, so that did not tip me off at all.

I have already posted my impressions of the finish in this thread - http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/s2-satin-vs-usa-satin.26306/. I have compared the guitar to most of my others and can comment on this a little later. Before the guitar sold, my plan was to just post some pictures and not write another novel. However, I found this story to cool not to share.

Yes, he is fine. That bit got lost in the long post. Bleeding had stopped by the time we saw the doctor and he did not consider stitches necessary. My youngest was feeling really sorry for himself throughout the entire ordeal - usually he is the loudest and rowdiest kid around - and slept for three hours once we got home. First thing he did when he woke up was climb back on the chair and two days later fell over again. At least this time he kept his head off the floor so I think he learnt his lesson. Hasn't been jumping on the chair again since his second fall.

Awesome wife alert! That's a great gift, and a great job by her of knowing what you want!

I was so torn between the standard 22 and singlecut satins. I got the 22 because it was what I needed most, but the singlecut is what I wanted most. I love stoptails, and the ability to split the pickups independently of each other. But I needed the trem. I bet that singlecut is bitchin.

Guess I'll just have to have my wife talk to your wife.

That’s awesome! The satin finish with the color, the hardware... all just WORK! That’s great!!! Enjoy!

Awesome wife alert! That's a great gift, and a great job by her of knowing what you want!

I was so torn between the standard 22 and singlecut satins. I got the 22 because it was what I needed most, but the singlecut is what I wanted most. I love stoptails, and the ability to split the pickups independently of each other. But I needed the trem. I bet that singlecut is bitchin.

Guess I'll just have to have my wife talk to your wife.

You know you need both, right? I also prefer 22 frets over 24 and would love a black satin 22, but I will let that one go. I already have too many guitars. I am lucky that the dealer got the Singlecut - I was saving for a 594 Singlecut. That won’t be happening now and I really don’t mind.

The 2V/2T layout works exceptionally well for my type of playing. The coil taps and independent volume controls give me a bit more flexibility than my Sig Ltd., since I can have volume dimed for heavy distortion on the bridge and then get cleans by having volume at 2 on the neck with split. However, I mostly play AC/DC, Priest and Maiden type stuff so 90% of the time I am on the bridge pickup.

Rad!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your kid. :(

Thanks. He’s fine now. Didn’t want chocolate for two days and complained that his tongue was sore during that time. He’s been picking fights with his older brother all weekend (normal behavior for him) and they’ve tag-teamed me a couple of times already too. The doctor explained that injuries in the mouth heal pretty quickly and we can attest to that.

Sorry about the injury to the youngin... Congrats on scoring a sweet axe in an interesting manner! Lol!

She's a keeper - the guitar and your wife!
Did she do the, "Hey, what's over there in the corner, behind the desk? a la A Christmas Story?"
I would have gladly traded in Red Ryder (with the compass in the stock and a thing that tells time) for that guitar!

[Not sure if A Christmas Story is such a big thing in Europe or not, knowing guns are pretty much illegal everywhere!].

She's a keeper - the guitar and your wife!
Did she do the, "Hey, what's over there in the corner, behind the desk? a la A Christmas Story?"
I would have gladly traded in Red Ryder (with the compass in the stock and a thing that tells time) for that guitar!

[Not sure if A Christmas Story is such a big thing in Europe or not, knowing guns are pretty much illegal everywhere!].

No, she knew that I still needed to place my gifts under the tree, so she just kept quiet until I noticed the big guitar-shaped gift while putting my gifts under the tree. Can’t recall seeing A Christmas Story - nowadays my Netflix account is just used for tv shows for the kids. Not that I mind, it gives me time to practice guitar.

Wow! Your wife is awesome and the story amazing! I can see Tom Hardy as the loving father and husband, Natalie Portman as the beautiful and understanding wife and John Goodman as the good-hearted dealer/clerk!

I have now had the guitar for a while now and it is a great player. Compared the tone against my other PRSi, and also got the wife involved for her opinion on the different tones. I only played bits of Back in Black (dimed on the bridge HB) and then swapped out guitars.

The SC has a lot of mid-range push and it is the darkest of the guitars I compared it to. Pickups sound very modern to me with a bit of compression going on, but string separation is still pretty good - not the BKP-type of good, but pretty good none-the-less. Overall the wife preferred the tone from this guitar. Strings were stock PRS 10-46s.

The Bernie's 245 pickups sounded very similar to the #7s in this scenario, but there is a slight bit of "raspiness" to the tone. 57 Classics tend to be my idea of PAFs - these will never be confused with PAFs, but it does have an element that reminds me of the 57s. Strings were Pyramid Pure Nickel 8-38s.

The Standard 24 with its HFS is definitely the most compressed of the bunch. However, I enjoyed playing it in this application. I get really pleasing overdriven tones from the amp with this guitar. This guitar sounded 2nd best to the wife. Strings were Pyramid Pure Nickel 9-42s.

The Siggy Ltd. is the brightest guitar of the bunch. I enjoyed its tones the most of all of them - ironically I struggled most to get to grips with it. Staying on the bridge humbucker gets me really great overdriven tones. Strings are Dunlop 10-46s.

Having compared the guitars against each other, I would say that they all play great. My Bernie has an upgraded nut and tuners which help this guitar stay in tune as well as the Cores - it needs those upgrades though, but it can definitely hang with this crowd. I do feel that the wood on the Cores is better, but not better enough for me to sell the Bernie.

The Bernie is usually strung with 9-42s, but I needed to drop the gauge for playing Tuesday's Gone. There is just more resistance on the fretboard / frets and my fingernails pull loose from the nailbed if I bend a lot. With the Cores, I could string them with 9-42s and play without issue, but I have not yet felt a need to do so on the SC or Siggy. Upgrading the fretwire on a SE would be a €400-500 upgrade in my neck of the woods.

I do have some concern about how the finish will age. I would be in 7th heaven if it glosses up the same way as the Standard 24, but the finishes were applied differently.

With all of that being said, and with the current pricing of the Bernies and the S2 Satins, I have to revise my opinion on the best bang-for-your-buck guitar in the PRS range - IMO, the S2 Satins would now be crowned the new champs. In my eyes the Bernie (and most SEs) still holds a very solid 2nd place.

Back