My dream PS

Em7

deus ex machina
Well, I have been thinking about what I would order if I had the disposable funds for a private stock guitar. For me, it would be a guitar with an alder body with an outrageous curly maple cap in scarlet burst. The guitar would have McCarty electronics and a quatersawn maple, non-scarf-jointed set neck. The bridge would be a one-piece, Gen I tremolo, and the pickups would be an 85/15s. My needs are humble, but my expectations are large. We are all allowed to dream. :)

Last edited:
Aside from the alder, most of that is possible in a wood library or AP package run. If you could find a dealer to do an alder back run, it would be pretty easy!

Now, the chances of it...maybe not so easy. I find myself in a similar situation lately. I also want a maple set neck prs. I don’t want pattern thin, which is on almost every custom. Not sure I’d want pattern vintage on an oft used guitar either, I haven’t played them enough to know how much I like it. I’ve considered a DGT but haven’t played one in ages so not sure how I like that either. They do have my favorite control scheme though. I know I like regular, pattern and wide fat carves.
Many cool maple necks popping up recently get paired with swamp ash backs. That might be too bright for my everyday needs.

Sorry for the derail. Just saying I kinda feel your pain. Feel like a bunch of existing guitars are maybe just 1 ingredient off, requiring a PS and 2x the cost.

I have a regular neck on my Mira Korina. It is such an easy neck to play. I had a wide-thin neck on my ‘11 one-off CU24. That guitar was beautiful, but I never bonded with the wide-thin neck. I have a McCarty 58 with a pattern fat neck that is a handful, but it is smaller than the wide-fat neck that I had on my ‘95 Standard 24. What is interesting is that the ‘19 CU24 I purchased earlier this year has a pattern-thin neck and I find it to be joy to play compared to the wide-thin that was on my CU24. It’s not quite as comfortable as the standard neck on my Mira with the standard baseball bat, thumb over the top edge of the fingerboard grip, but it is significantly more comfortable than the standard profile with the thumb on the back of the neck classical grip. I can play significantly faster with the classical grip (not that I am any kind of speed demon).

I could live with a mahogany back. That way, the back would be one piece instead of two or three. However, the guitar would have to have a set quartersawn maple neck, McCarty switching, and Gen I bridge, which means MannMade NOS today.

Last edited:
Back