Quilted or not?

SPW

Hello everyone!

I got my dream guitar last week, a Custom 24 Floyd Rose Wood Library Eriza Verde Smokeburst.
The shop I got the guitar from mentioned that it had a quilted top, but is it really a quilted top?
Somehow it's not really important as I absolutely love the top, if it's quilted or not. I would only like to know/understand.
In the following picture, the guitar on the left is what I think of as 'curly maple top' and the one on the right is what I think of as 'quilted maple top'.
The one in the middle is mine. What do you think?
Thank you!

Looks like Flame, Figured and Quilted to me.. I have always called the figured "Tiger striped" and depending on the exact piece of wood IMO it's the prettiest.. yours is gorgeous! Nice score..

Charles

people have come up with all kinds of names for figured maple, in nature Quilt is only 1/10th as common as flame. Fiddleback came from the use of "flame" or "curly" on the backs of fiddles use of flame , Tiger , birdseye .. same thing . It's like 420 countless names for variants. Figured is the catch all .
main-qimg-9a0aecbbb9e215756cd6b9d93d01047a-lq

Last edited:
people have come up with all kinds of names for figured maple, in nature Quilt is only 1/10th as common as flame. Fiddleback came from the use of "flame" or "curly" on the backs of fiddles use of flame , Tiger , birdseye .. same thing . It's like 420 countless names for variants. Figured is the catch all .

FINALLY! It’s Unique Curly!:p:D

Last edited:
Quilt: check. Fiddleback: check

All of the above: lovely. And your target: looks cool, appears tigerstripey to me. But who cares. As long as it is hot!

ok ok .. make sure to swallow your coffee first ... The Walnut is called "Feathered Crotch" .. seriously ... as it comes from the base of the tree ..

like I said .. all kinds of wierd names for wood ...

Back