Maple Neck with Ebony Fingerboard, really short sustain

There’s something amiss, and I’d look to the nut first. I’m very much a sustain guy, and I wouldn’t put it on the wood combination. Also check the tuners and make sure they haven’t somehow come loose. That’s been known to happen. I mostly play trem guitars, and I don’t believe blocking the trem will make a sustain difference. If the trem block has somehow come loose, that could cause the notes to die. There has to be a loose part somewhere sucking the vibrations. I’d check the tightness of every screw. And if you sort it out, let the factory know.

Maple & Ebony just don’t work together..even Gibson figured figured that out..finally. two very dense/hard woods interacting at a high frequency wind up cancelling each other out, thereby killing sustain. ( that’s just the short version)

Well I've been playing my Ibanez AZ and I realized that some notes have short sustain too, though it's bolt on. I think Gibson LP Custom has the same woods, and ESP also has a lot models using this combo. Anyways, like I said I played my LP right before I played my PRS, so that might magnify the issue.

I think I'll just keep playing it, and keep an eye on a Custom 24 with mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. Still can't let it go, for the moment. Oh, maybe I should post a pic. Not my favorite color but that maple top did catch my eyes.

xqynxcilmv3j46jnmucf.jpg

That is an amazing looking guitar. My guess is it will provide you with something your other guitars don’t. After a while it’s uniqueness might grow on you.

Well I've been playing my Ibanez AZ and I realized that some notes have short sustain too, though it's bolt on. I think Gibson LP Custom has the same woods, and ESP also has a lot models using this combo. Anyways, like I said I played my LP right before I played my PRS, so that might magnify the issue.

I think I'll just keep playing it, and keep an eye on a Custom 24 with mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. Still can't let it go, for the moment. Oh, maybe I should post a pic. Not my favorite color but that maple top did catch my eyes.

xqynxcilmv3j46jnmucf.jpg
Man, that's a smokin' hot guitar

Not sure of your model so here are some general questions/comments.
Is it a bolt on neck? Make sure the screws are tight.
Is there a tremolo? Make sure all screws are tight.
Have you checked the tuning pegs? Make sure they are tight.
Is the action lower than spec? Try raising the action a small amount
That’s all I got. I would definitely call PRS. They would definitely have the most insight.

Sometime guitars need time to come alive in my experience and new PRS ( for me ) can be that way.
Did you oil the fretboard when you changed strings ?? ( I would )
There is also a device that vibrates the guitar , said to open ( loosen ) them up.
I had a friend that used to put his new guitars in front of his 4x12 and played loud on a different guitar swore is made them come alive.
I think if you play the guitar a bunch it will get better.

Sometime guitars need time to come alive
There is also a device that vibrates the guitar , said to open ( loosen ) them up.
This is a new service I'm offering. The most popular option is the 12 month plan. PM for a prepaid shipping label. Thanks for checking out PRS comes alive.com!

*Guaranteed to receive a broken in well played guitar back in 12 months or return your guitar to us free!

Yes it does look really really good. I love that it's more obvious it's a one piece top but still looks beautiful. I was hesitated to buy it because of the wood combo, but the more I looked at the photo, the more I appreciated how beautiful the top it is, so I had to pull the trigger.

I did notice maybe most guitars need time to open up, or need to be played to open up. It also happened to my Ibanez AZ. When I first got it, I compared it to my a few year old Tom Anderson, and it really didn't sound like how it sounds now, but I've been playing it every day and the difference between the two is negligible.

My Custom 24 is a Limited Edition with specs same as your PRS, mahogany body, quilted maple cap, flame maple neck (not roasted) with ebony fretboard and I haven't noticed any sustain issues, I have it 2 years now.

The top on your PRS is to die for!

Back