Impact damage with guitar stand?

Lost for words perhaps .....
I really believed you wouldn't be able to tell that a repair had been made. There were no indentations and the damage appeared under the finish. It looks like color or stain was applied then the tinted finish sprayed on. Considering the instrument is basically new and the repair was costly, i'd have to say i'm very disappointed. Also, there's now a scratch on the back of the guitar and cover plate that wasn't there when i shipped the guitar to PTC..... :(

Pardon what? If you have something to say to me, say it.

Lost for words perhaps .....
I really believed you wouldn't be able to tell that a repair had been made. There were no indentations and the damage appeared under the finish. It looks like color or stain was applied then the tinted finish sprayed on. Considering the instrument is basically new and the repair was costly, i'd have to say i'm very disappointed. Also, there's now a scratch on the back of the guitar and cover plate that wasn't there when i shipped the guitar to PTC..... :(

I thought you were posting a happy thread when you added the pics. Clearly that isn't the case. I hope you and the PTC work it out.

Last edited:
At what point in the thread did you and PTC agree that it was a non-warranty repair? At what point did you send it in? It appears, from the date the thread started, that you got it back very quickly.....and, I can clearly see evidence of the repair.

I've had numerous opportunities to work with PTC on non-warranty touch up work....I've never been disappointed....you can never tell the guitar had any work done....and my repair/touch ups were much more involved than yours.

I would be very curious to find out how this resolves.

As I was preparing for a gig a couple of days away, I looked the guitar over and noticed the damage which is posted here. I then contacted PTC and was ask to send photos. Over a week had past, so I called PTC and was told based on the photos I had sent, it was determined that it was impact damage from contact with my guitar stand(Hercules stand with foam at all points of contact) and that it wouldn't be warranty work and I would be charged for the work. I shipped the guitar out to PTC and the repair was done (quickly, which anyone would appreciate) and I received the instrument back yesterday. After I viewed the guitar I called PTC, waiting for a reply .....

Weird issue, never seen anything like it - with the stain seemingly gone and the V12 100% intact...
repair looks slightly odd too, but even with the not so clear repair pics, it looks a little "off".

Sorry about the issues, hope it gets resolved.

I would hope that no one or the form has been offended and my intent has never been to be disrespectful nor rude. Just searching for opinion, feedback and perhaps history and direction on how to have my beautiful guitar restored to its original condition. After receiving the guitar back, i assumed PTC felt the repair was fine. I'm sorry if i expected extraordinary results on my extraordinary guitar from PRS which i believe to be an extraordinary company. I'll not post again concerning the guitar and will await a resolve from PTC .... J

PTC indicated that the wood had been crushed and a spot repair is what was performed. I should have asked for more details when we discussed the initial repair because i believed the guitar would look like new. PTC offered to strip the finish completely down then refinish for half the initial cost of this repair. I'm going to leave the guitar as is and replace the control cover plated myself. I appreciate PTC responding and explaining the details. Also, thanks for the offer..... Jon

You have every right to post your concerns, and should not feel inhibited to do so.

I completely agree.

PTC indicated that the wood had been crushed and a spot repair is what was performed. I should have asked for more details when we discussed the initial repair because i believed the guitar would look like new. PTC offered to strip the finish completely down then refinish for half the initial cost of this repair. I'm going to leave the guitar as is and replace the control cover plated myself. I appreciate PTC responding and explaining the details. Also, thanks for the offer..... Jon

Jon I hope you didn't feel bad about posting at any point in time. Your experience does nothing but help other PRS owners by providing them with knowledge, which makes us all the better for it. I for one, have learned so many things about caring for my new, first PRS which is on its way, and some of the things that are and aren't covered under warranty. Also, if I were you I probably would have done the same thing - turn to the forums and see what other PRS owners' experiences were like, and learn what I could from their history and knowledge. Nothing wrong with that at all, and should be what the forums are all about.

Shawn@PRS, I hope you weren't offended by him posting...because I myself, as a soon-to-be brand new PRS owner, learned a lot from reading this thread.

I could be completely wrong but is there any chance the guitars are so new, that they just haven't fully cured yet to a point where resting the weight of the guitar on those points could mar it up? Just a thought I had.

Either way I feel for you man because your still kind of on your honeymoon with those things. I know how that is, and we like our PERFECT guitars during that time. It's not until the first bumps and bruises that we need learn to live and even love these "characteristics".

Not to derail the thread but I put a nice finish gouge in my new custom 22 just a few days ago. I screamed a bad word and then relaxed and played the hell out of it!!

I hope everything gets resolved for you man. Keep us updated.

Back