Custom 24 Artist finish faded from 'blue matteo' to 'dull grey' in 4 years - options?

Maybe it’s something to make these lighter, more transparent colours. Some of the more solid, opaque blues seemed to have held up well, but the lighter colours, the ones that almost look like watercolours seem to be the ones fading.

Mine has faded so much in 6 years, it’s crazy. I just about like it, but I buy and sell guitars, so I’m concerned to hold onto this one too long in case it becomes hard to move.

I don’t want to refinish it, if I’m going to sell it on, but I sometimes imagine redoing the top in gold top..

To be clear, mine hasn’t sat next to a window, etc, it’s been out of the case on a rack. This has never happened to me before. It’s more the dread I’m gonna end up with an ugly colour, that I’d have to just refinish it solid.. can’t bear the idea of refinishing a perfectly (otherwise) good guitar..
I get it. I'd be bummed too if I wasn't expecting it. There's some good refinishers out there for a fraction of the price of PRS if you ever wanted to make it blue again, but then your still in the resale predicament. Fingers crossed it fades to a cool color!

I get it. I'd be bummed too if I wasn't expecting it. There's some good refinishers out there for a fraction of the price of PRS if you ever wanted to make it blue again, but then your still in the resale predicament. Fingers crossed it fades to a cool color!
Do you know; is it possible to refinish the top without redoing the whole guitar?

I don’t want to jack with the serial number, I’d almost rather not do it and sell it as original if I absolutely had to mess with that. At least I could say I didn’t do touch it.

I can go both ways on this one.

Is it a wood problem ……?

Too easy - TWSS

Do you know; is it possible to refinish the top without redoing the whole guitar?

I don’t want to jack with the serial number, I’d almost rather not do it and sell it as original if I absolutely had to mess with that. At least I could say I didn’t do touch it.

Search the captain on instagram, UK based.

You can absolutely just do the top. As a matter of fact, I had one done just to the back.

From this:

vgEbHAS.jpg

To this:

9lH9DzK.jpg

The top stayed the same:

ecQw67i.jpg

Here's a few pics of Faded Blue Burst

1000034287bb53a17f1b9192ad.jpg

100003428834d635e913e9a493.jpg

Also, the se on the left used to be Whale Blue. I have pickup ring shots somewhere. If I find them and post. I absolutely love both these guitars. Fades and all. They both can play tricks in different lighting. Sometimes the se and Cu24 look more Blue and sometimes purple and more gray. This has changed more and more as time passes. I dig 'em.

10000342860a348a14a7e10cef.jpg

Here's a poor lighting one. There was more contrast in real life. Some of the layers in the quilt still had more blue left. It's also less dramatic going from purple to blue.

10000342922901665269c0586f.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of Faded Blue Burst

1000034287bb53a17f1b9192ad.jpg

100003428834d635e913e9a493.jpg

Also, the se on the left used to be Whale Blue. I have pickup ring shots somewhere. If I find them and post. I absolutely love both these guitars. Fades and all. They both can play tricks in different lighting. Sometimes the se and Cu24 look more Blue and sometimes purple and more gray. This has changed more and more as time passes. I dig 'em.

10000342860a348a14a7e10cef.jpg

Here's a poor lighting one. There was more contrast in real life. Some of the layers in the quilt still had more blue left. It's also less dramatic going from purple to blue.

10000342922901665269c0586f.jpg
Nice!
If it was guaranteed that Whale Blue would fade to that EXACT color, my Singlecut would be out catching some sun right now.:p:D

Nice!
If it was guaranteed that Whale Blue would fade to that EXACT color, my Singlecut would be out catching some sun right now.:p:D
:D:D:D

Thanks! It was cool to watch the transition over time. For a while there sometimes it was blue and others plurple.. Now it's pretty much always a sweet purple. I dig it!

Definitely works with a Floyd

Back