Custom 24 Artist finish faded from 'blue matteo' to 'dull grey' in 4 years - options?

Wow odd it faded like that. My HBII in Blue Matteo is over 20 years old and spent at least the first 15 being out of its case on a stand. I’m sure it’s just as blue as it was in day 1.

IMG_3008.png

I find myself becoming more critical of PRS as time goes by. I think some attitudes at the company have changed, beginning to change the company culture. I have zip for insider knowledge, but from a PRS fan/customer point of view I think the inflection point was Shawn’s departure.

This culture change combines with an archaic business model to create disappointing resolutions, like the OP’s.

The business model is archaic in that it’s a dealer-driven process. The design and intent is that customers’ primary point of contact with the brand is supposed to be the dealer. That might have been ideal in 1985 for a small, rapidly-growing company. A relatively small number of dealers with staff trained to sell and support small numbers of high-end guitars? Good idea.

Take that forward four-decades. It’s now a brand that sells low-end to premium. The dealer network is largely online store (or online sales, perhaps more accurately), with a very wide-range of customer-service standards. It’s a different landscape, and it has been for a long time.

PRS has half-heartedly changed. They make YT videos and advertise their CS department on the website. What they don’t do is give customers any clear direction on how to receive support or what a customer’s expectations should be. Customer experiences can be outstanding or terrible, seemingly for no specific reason.

I find myself becoming more critical of PRS as time goes by. I think some attitudes at the company have changed, beginning to change the company culture. I have zip for insider knowledge, but from a PRS fan/customer point of view I think the inflection point was Shawn’s departure.

This culture change combines with an archaic business model to create disappointing resolutions, like the OP’s.

The business model is archaic in that it’s a dealer-driven process. The design and intent is that customers’ primary point of contact with the brand is supposed to be the dealer. That might have been ideal in 1985 for a small, rapidly-growing company. A relatively small number of dealers with staff trained to sell and support small numbers of high-end guitars? Good idea.

Take that forward four-decades. It’s now a brand that sells low-end to premium. The dealer network is largely online store (or online sales, perhaps more accurately), with a very wide-range of customer-service standards. It’s a different landscape, and it has been for a long time.

PRS has half-heartedly changed. They make YT videos and advertise their CS department on the website. What they don’t do is give customers any clear direction on how to receive support or what a customer’s expectations should be. Customer experiences can be outstanding or terrible, seemingly for no specific reason.
I agree with this, for the most part. On the money with respect to Shawn.

It's been said, and well documented, that some blue stained guitars can fade - truth : ) Here is my 59/09. The Faded Blue Jean has faded a lot, but the guitar has been gigged and played outside a lot. I'm considering sending it to PRS to be restored to the brilliant original faded blue jean color.

Wow that one has really faded but it still looks great given its history. I think the OP’s guitar still looks amazing. I can understand how folks get bummed out about this but to me it’s just the aging process of beautiful instruments.

It's been said, and well documented, that some blue stained guitars can fade - truth : ) Here is my 59/09. The Faded Blue Jean has faded a lot, but the guitar has been gigged and played outside a lot. I'm considering sending it to PRS to be restored to the brilliant original faded blue jean color.

Gorgeous top! But you went from the bahamas to the everglades witth that one!

I believe that considering PRS is WELL aware of this fading issue, each blue/purple guitar should come with a sheet similar to the infamous "rosewood sheet" that explains what they have purchased is subject to extreme fading, more so than other colors in the PRS line, and that extra care should be taken to prevent such fading. As mentioned above, not everyone is aware of this, but the manufacturer is and I believe that for guitars (some of which cost more than peoples cars) in those colors, it is their responsibility to let consumers know this BEFORE and upon receipt of such a guitar. To argue that everything fades is not an argument considering you are not seeing any pattern of people complaining about their PRSi fading in other colors. Either stop using those colors, cover the fade under warranty or be proactive on informing your customers of this issue with each purchase. Is it going to effect the sale of blue/purple guitars for PRS, yes it will! And if they continue to sell with such disclaimers, so be it. But avoiding the responsibility of informing customers of an issue you are well aware of, that is outside the normal wear of other products in the lineup, is unacceptable in my opinion.

BTW, I love my blue CU24. It has not faded a bit, but it, like all my guitars, are cased when not being played.

@sleeplessknight , sorry you are so put off on the whole product line as a result of this issue, such great guitars (and available in reasonable fade colors)!!!

“They should put that on the box….”

I woulda thrown myself in the hood of Shawn’s car, crying, stolen his keys and left him in the car park.

:p

That fade still looks nice though.

I tried to get my Whale Blue CuRo to fade by leaving it out. But nooooo it won’t fade but the rosewood neck did. Wierd.

Wouldn't have bothered checking in but I got one of those "See what you've missed on the PRS forum!" emails, and this was the top topic.

I will certainly come across as a dick to some of you, so skip this if you need to. Seriously.

The pictures the OP posted must be of that absolute cleanest "gigging" guitar I've ever seen. Are you gigging in pillow factories? I, too, have a $5000 PRS (McCarty 594, Semi Hollow). Since buying it in 2020, the thing has paid for itself many times over (despite my entire 2020 season being essentially cancelled). The saddle is worn down to the brass, The bottom is chipped from being thrown in and out of stands during shows (most of my playing is as a pit pro). A decent scratch and multiple nicks on the top, back and headstock.

I tried to take a couple pics, but I became embarrassed for myself when I realized I was taking pictures of a guitar. Not a family member. Not the Grand Canyon. Not even my cat. A guitar. (SMH)

Guitars are TOOLS for making MUSIC. Honest wear-and-tear is not a reason to complain...but a point of pride. If your guitar looks like it just came off the line 5-years after buying it ($500 or $5000), you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Guitars are TOOLS for making MUSIC. Honest wear-and-tear is not a reason to complain...but a point of pride. If your guitar looks like it just came off the line 5-years after buying it ($500 or $5000), you're doing it differently than I do.

There's no right or wrong to any of this stuff....just different.

Granted. I just don't get it. I guess it's just me. Probably why I'm not here much!
Yep! And that' the best part about all this stuff...sharing how we personally approach any given topic! I respect and understand both extreme degrees of how people treat their musical instruments...all the way from taking their beat-to-hell guitar to every gig, every night, caseless and wrecked to those who only take it out of the case to admire it's physical beauty. As long as that guitar is bringing joy, it's worth the money the person spent on it.

Personally, I kinda sit in both camps. I have a Core Custom 22 that's beat to hell, and I'm not as careful with. But I also have other Core models that I try and keep as clean and ding-free as possible. I also find cleaning and maintaining my guitars quite relaxing, so there's also that aspect for me.

Again, it's all personal preference and that's what makes all of it quite interesting and absolutely worth sharing....so I encourage you to continue sharing your perspective!

Last edited:
That fade still looks nice though.

I tried to get my Whale Blue CuRo to fade by leaving it out. But nooooo it won’t fade but the rosewood neck did. Wierd.
The 59/09 is the only PRS I've had that has faded, but it also has a paper thin nitro finish that my finger wore through to the wood right below the treble pickup in only a few months, but that's from playing the guitar a lot. I had it in the sun over the years at gigs and never thought about it. My other PRS have not faded at all, but they all have the heavier PRS finish on them so it's never been an issue. I have an '85 Tribute Faded Whale Blue that's a 2010 and it's the exact same color and has not faded at all.

Last edited:
Utkarsh has a recent YouTube breaking out a 25(?) Year old CU 24 where the Blue faded and its spectacular! I don't think I would refinish if this happened to me. The individuality of the fade is what draws me.

Not that OP did anything wrong. Its his guitar and he's happy now. Nuff said!

I believe that considering PRS is WELL aware of this fading issue, each blue/purple guitar should come with a sheet similar to the infamous "rosewood sheet" that explains what they have purchased is subject to extreme fading, more so than other colors in the PRS line, and that extra care should be taken to prevent such fading. As mentioned above, not everyone is aware of this, but the manufacturer is and I believe that for guitars (some of which cost more than peoples cars) in those colors, it is their responsibility to let consumers know this BEFORE and upon receipt of such a guitar. To argue that everything fades is not an argument considering you are not seeing any pattern of people complaining about their PRSi fading in other colors. Either stop using those colors, cover the fade under warranty or be proactive on informing your customers of this issue with each purchase. Is it going to effect the sale of blue/purple guitars for PRS, yes it will! And if they continue to sell with such disclaimers, so be it. But avoiding the responsibility of informing customers of an issue you are well aware of, that is outside the normal wear of other products in the lineup, is unacceptable in my opinion.

BTW, I love my blue CU24. It has not faded a bit, but it, like all my guitars, are cased when not being played.

@sleeplessknight , sorry you are so put off on the whole product line as a result of this issue, such great guitars (and available in reasonable fade colors)!!!
I Agree With Your Mindset Here Yet I Doubt PRS Legal Advisers Would Ever Have Them Admit (In That Manner) Of Such A Thing As It Could Potentially Unlock Many Unwanted Doors. Still...It Is The Right Thing To Do IMO.

I Am Now Afraid To Even Play My Blue And Purple PRS For This Reason. I Have Been A PRS Player For Decades And Wasn't Aware Of The "Blue Thing" Until Recently.

For Me, Seeing This Made A Little Part Inside Of Me Die...

I Would Be So Sad And Disappointed If My Guitars Faded Like That. :(

Back