Custom 24 Artist finish faded from 'blue matteo' to 'dull grey' in 4 years - options?

One guitar is a 2010 private stock SC250. Gigged but kept out of UV light never faded at all. It doesn't stay in it's case it's out but in LED lighting. The 2015 Custom 24 faded, but was gigged harder under UV flourecent lights found in Church properties sometimes over whole weekends. It's seen afternoon out door gigs, was hardly ever in it's case. The private stock guitar I made sure not to use it in places where UV might be present in high quantities, still it's main gigs are Bar/festival gigs. The result is the "older" 2010 never faded at all. However the "newer" Custom 24 did, and It's my actions that did it. Pic below dealer photo of the CU24 when I first got it.

BJhJK0P.jpg

iiB0iek.jpeg

Last edited:
And nobody thinks this is a problem? If I had a car that faded so badly I'd have to change the registration on it from 'blue' to 'grey', the manufacturer would be run out of town on a rail if they charged a dime anywhere in the first 20 years of use.
I don't think it's a problem.

Twenty years ago how could anyone predict what those finishes would look like? They hadn't aged yet.

Finishes age. Anyone who's been around expects that because they've seen it before. '59 Les Pauls started with cherry red finishes and now they've turned to faded yellow.

My Gibson ES335 started life deep red. Now it's kind of between that and dark pink.

It's just not a big deal to me.

I don't think it's a problem.

Twenty years ago how could anyone predict what those finishes would look like? They hadn't aged yet.

Finishes age. Anyone who's been around expects that because they've seen it before. '59 Les Pauls started with cherry red finishes and now they've turned to faded yellow.

My Gibson ES335 started life deep red. Now it's kind of between that and dark pink.

It's just not a big deal to me.
Well, to be fair: the blues have been fading since the nineties and PRS has been using the dyes after the fading issue was noticed. So it is not that they were caught by surprise.

Well, to be fair: the blues have been fading since the nineties and PRS has been using the dyes after the fading issue was noticed. So it is not that they were caught by surprise.
Is it the same dye? As finish techniques and type have changed several times over the years.

I feel for the OP on this thread and I wish PRS would have handled it differently.
If someone buys a once in a lifetime guitar for the looks ( and the tone ) and the looks only last a few years I would be angry also.
I feel like even a heavily discounted refinish ( or refinish the top ) would have worked in this case ( could be wrong )
Folks that have Northern Lights , Mekena Blue ( like me ) and other know they are going to fade and I grudgeling except that.
Like I have said before , there are things I dislike about where PRS has been going with the little things , Vintage Non Locking tuners , Bone Nuts , Nitro finishes , uncovered pickups. That said I am liking the NF53 and my Fiore ( I did mod mine with Phase 3 tuners and a new PRS nut )

Twenty years after it was made, would you expect Toyota to repaint your car because the finish doesn't look like it did when it was new?

The guitar is still beautiful. Just looks twenty years older.

I feel for the OP on this thread and I wish PRS would have handled it differently.
If someone buys a once in a lifetime guitar for the looks ( and the tone ) and the looks only last a few years I would be angry also.
I feel like even a heavily discounted refinish ( or refinish the top ) would have worked in this case ( could be wrong )
Folks that have Northern Lights , Mekena Blue ( like me ) and other know they are going to fade and I grudgeling except that.
Like I have said before , there are things I dislike about where PRS has been going with the little things , Vintage Non Locking tuners , Bone Nuts , Nitro finishes , uncovered pickups. That said I am liking the NF53 and my Fiore ( I did mod mine with Phase 3 tuners and a new PRS nut )
I’m pretty much with you. I don’t think it’s general knowledge that the blue and purple finish will fade unless you treat them like vampire guitars. I’m with you on nitro, not a fan. I’m kinda precious about my stuff, I’ll be bummed a little when my S2 Studio starts wearing through.

As to the OP, either a more noticeable disclaimer to fading, or a more liberal warranty policy, or better, finishes that don’t fade would make good business sense. Especially on what I would consider high dollar guitars.

Twenty years after it was made, would you expect Toyota to repaint your car because the finish doesn't look like it did when it was new?

The guitar is still beautiful. Just looks twenty years older.
First, I’m gonna sound like a dick. I’m sorry and I really don’t mean to - I just tend to come off that way sometimes. Second, I may have missed some context on the quoted post. Anyway, I’m just offering a counterpoint. The OP’s guitar is 4 or 5 years old. Also, believe it or not, Toyota did a partial repaint on our 2014 Camry last year based on a known painting process issue. We are now covered for another 9 years for paint. Not ideal, but way better than “that’s unfortunate Mr. Customer.” Anyway, Toyota is a huge, multi national corporation, and PRS is not. There may have been a class action suit involved, so Toyota may not be all that benevolent either. Still, we’ll buy another Toyota. I’ll never buy a blue or purple PRS, which is unfortunate, as I like those colors. I also like PRS guitars, and I do need something tele-like…

Ok, rant over. @Lewguitar i hope I didn’t sound like a dick too much. Recent memory of our experience with the Camry kinda spurred my comments.

First, I’m gonna sound like a dick. I’m sorry and I really don’t mean to - I just tend to come off that way sometimes. Second, I may have missed some context on the quoted post. Anyway, I’m just offering a counterpoint. The OP’s guitar is 4 or 5 years old. Also, believe it or not, Toyota did a partial repaint on our 2014 Camry last year based on a known painting process issue. We are now covered for another 9 years for paint. Not ideal, but way better than “that’s unfortunate Mr. Customer.” Anyway, Toyota is a huge, multi national corporation, and PRS is not. There may have been a class action suit involved, so Toyota may not be all that benevolent either. Still, we’ll buy another Toyota. I’ll never buy a blue or purple PRS, which is unfortunate, as I like those colors. I also like PRS guitars, and I do need something tele-like…

Ok, rant over. @Lewguitar i hope I didn’t sound like a dick too much. Recent memory of our experience with the Camry kinda spurred my comments.
You're right. The guitar is not 20 years old. I thought it was. Sorry.

But it's new color is beautiful.

Maybe not to the OP, but I like it.

Last edited:
You're right. The guitar is not 20 years old. I thought it was. Sorry.
No sorry required!!! I’m not really sure why I felt compelled to post, and just making a comment or two. I just kinda struggle with the whole fading finish thing. Anyway I’m the one to apologize. As my loving wife often says to me - “sometimes you’re a real ass, you know that?” I hope for no hurt feelings.

No sorry required!!! I’m not really sure why I felt compelled to post, and just making a comment or two. I just kinda struggle with the whole fading finish thing. Anyway I’m the one to apologize. As my loving wife often says to me - “sometimes you’re a real ass, you know that?” I hope for no hurt feelings.
I sold this guitar this year, but this was my '02 CU22 for about 20 years. I must have been confusing my own blue ax with the OP's.

Mine definitely had some gray hues by the time I sold it, but I didn't care about that.

I just didn't play it very much.

I liked my 90's CU22 and CE22's a little more.

Last edited:

:p:D
No “dickiness” detected in your post, @aamefford!

The fading of translucent blue shades of PRS is not a secret and has been discussed aswell in this particular forum over the years. @László provided once the best explanation in this regard.
Like other items change their look with the time due to natural processes of maturing. E. g. clothes after several washing procedures.
Talking about guitars: How to deal with cracks in the top coat of nitro lacquers? This occur as a reason of natural maturing.
One of the most effective actions to prevent the guitar from colour fading is to keep the guitar as long and often in an UV protected environment (e. g. case).

Of course I understand the concerns: You bought a blue guitar, in order to own and play a blue guitar and not to own a grey shaded.

The PRS warranty is crystal clear, but obviously not fulfilling everybody's expectations. Any repair for free is based on individual case study and goodwill of PRS.

I cross the fingers that you admire your newly coated CU24 forever, though it's optically not the guitar you decided to buy once.

I sold this guitar this year, but this was my '02 CU22 for about 20 years. I must have been confusing my own blue ax with the OP's.

I have said before; lovely guitar (I am partial to single piece fixed bridge 22 fret PRSi)

And I agree, the faded colour looked great too, in its own rights, however as a blue matteo it kind of missed the mark ;-)

I believe that considering PRS is WELL aware of this fading issue, each blue/purple guitar should come with a sheet similar to the infamous "rosewood sheet" that explains what they have purchased is subject to extreme fading, more so than other colors in the PRS line, and that extra care should be taken to prevent such fading. As mentioned above, not everyone is aware of this, but the manufacturer is and I believe that for guitars (some of which cost more than peoples cars) in those colors, it is their responsibility to let consumers know this BEFORE and upon receipt of such a guitar. To argue that everything fades is not an argument considering you are not seeing any pattern of people complaining about their PRSi fading in other colors. Either stop using those colors, cover the fade under warranty or be proactive on informing your customers of this issue with each purchase. Is it going to effect the sale of blue/purple guitars for PRS, yes it will! And if they continue to sell with such disclaimers, so be it. But avoiding the responsibility of informing customers of an issue you are well aware of, that is outside the normal wear of other products in the lineup, is unacceptable in my opinion.

BTW, I love my blue CU24. It has not faded a bit, but it, like all my guitars, are cased when not being played.

@sleeplessknight , sorry you are so put off on the whole product line as a result of this issue, such great guitars (and available in reasonable fade colors)!!!

I believe that considering PRS is WELL aware of this fading issue, each blue/purple guitar should come with a sheet similar to the infamous "rosewood sheet" that explains what they have purchased is subject to extreme fading, more so than other colors in the PRS line, and that extra care should be taken to prevent such fading. As mentioned above, not everyone is aware of this, but the manufacturer is and I believe that for guitars (some of which cost more than peoples cars) in those colors, it is their responsibility to let consumers know this BEFORE and upon receipt of such a guitar. To argue that everything fades is not an argument considering you are not seeing any pattern of people complaining about their PRSi fading in other colors. Either stop using those colors, cover the fade under warranty or be proactive on informing your customers of this issue with each purchase. Is it going to effect the sale of blue/purple guitars for PRS, yes it will! And if they continue to sell with such disclaimers, so be it. But avoiding the responsibility of informing customers of an issue you are well aware of, that is outside the normal wear of other products in the lineup, is unacceptable in my opinion.

BTW, I love my blue CU24. It has not faded a bit, but it, like all my guitars, are cased when not being played.

@sleeplessknight , sorry you are so put off on the whole product line as a result of this issue, such great guitars (and available in reasonable fade colors)!!!
Absolutely this.

Back