Custom 24 Artist finish faded from 'blue matteo' to 'dull grey' in 4 years - options?

sleeplessknight

Hey all, first-time forum poster here. I bought a Custom 24 Artist package from a dealer back in April 2019 in Matteo Blue. Boy howdy was I excited when that showed up! Had about 10 months of gigging bliss, and then the world Went To Hell™ in ways that need no further explanation. Fast forward a few years, gigging resumes, good times are had, and my wife mentions offhand "Wait, when did you buy a grey guitar?" Not remembering any $5000+ purchases in the recent past, I did a quick comparison of the 'new' photos vs the 'today' photos, and I'll be danged - my beautiful vibrant Blue Matteo is very much in 'weird blue-grey' territory now. I've got a 5-year warranty, so I emailed PRS Support. I had high hopes because of all the "PRS Support is amazing and forgiving and totally hooked me up" posts both here and elsewhere - there's a YT video about how a second owner got his axe refinished for free just by emailing support!

The official word came back from Support. No further explanation, no "We're really sorry about this" just a copy/paste of their warranty statement vis a vis "This warranty does not cover normal “wear and tear,” including but not limited to any discoloration, fading, finish cracking, or damage to the original finish, worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware, and plating." (emphasis theirs). Guy even included "Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars". Thanks Guy, this gives me warm fuzzies about your company for sure :)

My question for the group - how did I screw up here? Did I just pull the short-straw and got the new guy working the CS desk? Am I stuck getting the guitar refinished by a third party (and if so, I am open to recommendations)? Is there a reasonable, polite, way to appeal this to PRS? I'm definitely soured on buying from them in the future - those Paul's Guitars are right up my alley, but I'll be dipped if I'm going to throw down for a beautiful vibrant blue if they're not going to stand by their finish if it turns grey in < 4 years.

Many thanks for any assistance, tips, or even commiseration, y'all may have

I too prefer the color now. Beautiful guitar.

I've seen enough of these "Blue guitar has faded" posts over the years that I've stopped being surprised. I almost think that all blue PRS guitars need to come with a Buyer Beware warning label. It does get me thinking though....do other manufacturer's blue guitars have the same problem? I don't really follow any other forums but are blue gibsons or blue music man guitars fading like PRSs?

I have a 2011 G*bson and a 2015-ish G&L, both a deep, vibrant, blue, and as best I can tell they haven't changed since I bought them (long before I bought my PRS)

PRS Support has now happily informed me they will refinish the guitar for $1400 plus shipping. No word yet on if it's a more-durable color, or if it's the same stuff that'll turn grey in a few years.

PRS Support has now happily informed me they will refinish the guitar for $1400 plus shipping. No word yet on if it's a more-durable color, or if it's the same stuff that'll turn grey in a few years.
WOW

I wrote this earlier but didn't get to post it. What you are seeing is natural fading from UV light on the dye they use. Blues fade most, then greens and yellows. As I understand it, they started with leather dyes. Not sure what they use now. My artist package is green. Some love the look of a faded guitar, and I have to say, faded emerald green is beautiful, but I'll miss the vibrant color as mine fades. Your options, as you stated will be to have a third party refinish it, or have the PTC do it on your dime, or just do what I'm doing and let it fade.

And nobody thinks this is a problem? If I had a car that faded so badly I'd have to change the registration on it from 'blue' to 'grey', the manufacturer would be run out of town on a rail if they charged a dime anywhere in the first 20 years of use.

And nobody thinks this is a problem? If I had a car that faded so badly I'd have to change the registration on it from 'blue' to 'grey', the manufacturer would be run out of town on a rail if they charged a dime anywhere in the first 20 years of use.
Actually most see it as a guitar getting its bona fides. The genuine signatures of time and tenure.

A problem? Being that I go into these things knowing that certain dye colors are known to fade (I'm a wood worker, so it's common knowledge in my world), I don't consider it so. However, if I purchased without this knowledge...

Car fade... Apples and oranges when you consider the types of paints & such used by the auto industry. However, take a look at some older motorcycles such as Moto Guzzi-- those reds fade QUICK! Actually kept me from buying a V11 as various red parts had already faded on the dealer's 6-month old bike.

Yes, it sucks to see this happen to your favorite guitar when not expecting it... Personally I think it looks fantastic-- much like the Faded Wale Blue ;)

I have bass strings that have lasted longer - with heavy road-use - and have worn better than the finish on this guitar ;)

I have kept this axe in its case, away from natural light. I'm a 'night owl', so when it does come out it's generally not when the sun is up.

Hell, I have other blue guitars/basses by G*bson, G&L, Musicman, etc, that have retained their vibrancy over 12+ years and counting. If these lesser manufacturers can do it, why can't Paul?

It looks great now. Still, it looks pretty different from what you bought. Just from seeing story after story, I’m not interested in getting a blue, green or purple PRS. The good news for me is that any core PRS I get will be old enough to have assumed it’s final color.

If I wanted a grey guitar, I would've scrimped and saved for over 5 years and bought a grey guitar. Instead, I wanted a blue guitar, and scrimped and saved (and purchased) that. if I had known about this PRS blue-issue, I would've gone with... any other manufacturer, really. If CS persists on charging me $1400 for an in-warranty finish repair, this is my last PRS for sure.

Back