Impact damage with guitar stand?

Picture547_zps497d44be.jpg

I'm using a Mesa Boogie Mark V single 12" combo, LoneStar 212 combo and a Road King II head with a Mesa 212 cab. Both are sprayer's choice, on the left is Blue Crab Brown burst and on the right is Ambrosia ... J

Last edited:
I'm using a Mesa Boogie Mark V single 12" combo, LoneStar 212 combo and a Road King II head with a Mesa 212 cab. Both are sprayer's choice, on the left is Blue Crab Brown burst and on the right is Ambrosia ... J
Sweet! I've got a Mark V head, fantastic amp! Now if only PRS made something like it...

Do you mind if I put these pics in another thread? I started a "Sprayers Choice" thread but struggled to get any photos! Sorry about the off-topic...

Sure you can post the photos anywhere you like. No, it wasn't hanging on wires. The spots were not there when the guitar was delivered and guitar is very seldom placed on a stand ....

The one complaint I have found about PRS finish is they deveolp the issue you are seeing very easily. It does not take much to fracture (and not create a gouge) the finish and make it look as you describe. That looks like damage that "might" be cause by removing from the stand to aggressively.

All of that being said, are your 513s Nitro or V12 finished? If Nitro, you have your answer, Hercules stands DO react with Nitro in cases. I have had it happen to a LP as described earlier.

Attached is a photo of some finish damaged that occurred when snugging down the switch screw on my Cu24 EIRW. It has the V12 finish. It has also happened on the edges of the body. The damage looks very similar to the photos you posted. Can't feel the ding, but the damage is there.

Gorgeous guitars. Love the Blue Crab blend.

PA082779.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using two Hercules stands for quite sometime.....

The upside of Hercules stands...

IMG_0009-1_zpsf5806ae0.jpg

The downside - and likely source of your woes - you have to be careful not to strike these little guys when putting your guitar into (or taking it out of) your stand.

IMG_0008-1_zpsdb92579d.jpg

Interesting, none of my Hercules stands are like that. Is that a newer design?

I'm guessing that is a newer design. All my Hercules hangers and stands look like this. The wings on the older style don't move up unless the weight of the guitar is behind them. Good to know there are different styles.

hercules-ags-wood-block-wall-hanger-36005386-0-1353338264000.jpg

My Hercules stands happen to be the older style ....
Still trying to determain how I damaged the instrument with the stand so I don't do it again. As of now, no guitars on stands, they are all in cases .....

Back