Impact damage with guitar stand?

Jonniebravo

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate some information about "impact" damage by placing my PRS 513 on to the guitar stand. I have a PRS 513 which I purchased on 12-19-2012 that shows discoloration,flaking, with no indentation under the head stock where the guitar rest on the stand. The guitar was built on 10-24-2012 and I am always careful with my guitars. PTC say's from the photos I sent,that If repaired, it won't be warranty work because its guitar stand "impact" damage. Could someone explain to me how this can occur? Thanks .... J

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, you're asking people to comment on something specific without photos. That won't get you anywhere meaningful.

Third, are you asking people to explain something you heard from customer service? If so, it is a little awkward. Have you asked them to explain what they meant with a little more clarity?

Last edited:
I meant no disrespect to the forum and sorry that my post placed anyone responding in an awkward position. Just didn't understand how I could cause impact damage by placing the guitar on the stand. Just noticed a small spot on each side of the head stock, sent photos to PTC and that was their response. Just a little down because the guitar is about six weeks old. I will post photos, thanks.....

I didn't get the impression you were being disrespectfu at all. No worries. Just trying to help get to the heart of things. Occasionally people come here for answers better provided by the horses mouth.

Looking forward to your photos.

I've used Hercules for a long time as well with no issues. Any chance you can share the photos here?

There's a dealer near me that "brands" all of their guitars by using really old hangers that mar the finish on the headstock. Any guitar that hangs on their wall for more than a month is scarred.

My gutiars hang for very long periods of time, until I rotate things, on a Hercules wall hanger. It's the only one I'd trust since it has never affected any guitar with varying finish types. They do of course have a warning on the packaging, but I've never had an issue. I'd think that all Hercules stands made in the last few years use the same type of foam, but I can't say for sure. Link below for the one I use.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...=14165784601&gclid=COi1x6qbtLUCFShgMgodLloAtw

I only use Hercules wall and floor stands, as I have heard they are safe for Gibsons Nitro, and other brands, they will not harm the finishes.
No marks have been left on any of my guitars from my stands.

I use those same Hercules Wall hangers and have had them mar the finish on one of my old Les Pauls. I wrap them in well washed black cotton (from old undies :) ) for my nitro guitars.

Have never had an issue with my PRS guitars, however my Cu24 has no finish on it's rosewood.

That being said, I have never had an issue with it cracking the finish on any of my other PRS, or other guitars from Hercules hangers. I could however see, if you are not careful, and you pull out too fast (that's what she said) and not up all the way, you can catch the swing arms on the edges of the neck and do some damage. I screwed up a Tele I used to own that way. Put some nice gouges into the edge of the maple fretboard.

Photos will be interesting to see.

For about 6 years, I've had a stand similar to the hercules (an Ultimate GS100) where it's really just sort of hanging from the headstock. Never had an issue with it and any guitar I have owned. No damage, no funky paint issues.

Here are the photo's, there are no indentations......If you rub your finger across the discoloration, the finish is smooth ......J
Picture565_zpsc1fb5f77.jpg

Back