If You Only Had 1000 Dollars: SE vs S2?

POLL: If you had only 1000 dollars, would you buy a sweet SE Custom, or a Satin Finish s2?

• Sweet dolled up SE Baby!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • American Made Satin Finish Plain Jane S2! C'mon man!!

Votes: 45 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The CU24 is what I think of when I think PRS, the SE nails that on a budget as is and if you wish you can upgrade along the way or save for your next PRS. They are addictive. I like the S2 satin and want one but it's not a guitar I would play as often as a CU24.

I own two very nice SE CU24s, and a satin S2 Standard 24. You're right, I don't play the S2 nearly as much as the CU24s. But it is the guitar I show off most often, because everybody who touches it falls in love with it.

I read this thread with great interest as I was looking at picking up an SE Paul's guitar this week. Went to the local music store and saw an S2 Standard 24 Satin and remembered some of the comments in this thread and played it for about a half an hour...and then bought it. I had no intention of buying it as honestly it's kind of homely compared to the Paul's guitar sexiness but damn this thing is so easy to play and the sustain! Brought it home, oiled the fret board, changed the strings and cleaned it up and she sings! It's my first, but won't be my last, PRS!
Well done! Welcome to the club.

S2 guitars have reset my expectations of value-per-dollar guitars. The only non-S2 guitar that has met or exceeded that expectation is the SE Hollowbody Standard (so you might want to keep one of those on your to-buy list too) ;)

As we all know the last year has been a real P.I.T.A for most people. As a guitar tech here in the UK my business has been severly impacted over the course of the pandemic. I work from from home (My wife has cancer) and with no extra money coming in, I had to cull my guitar collection just to stay afloat.

During the cull amongst others I sold off some many guitars I lost track of what I'd sold (73 in 8 months). Yesterday my son was reading some of the forum postings and told me I'd got my posting wrong. He reminided me that I had loaned my S2 Vela to a friend (who due to severe medical issues) is in isolation. I emailed said friend and he joked "I was wondering when you'd ask for it back" I have told him that he can keep it until the current situation is over?

May I present my 2016 S2 Vela
50513248556_58a1859e5e_o.jpg

Hey, all the best, hope you get back at it full swing soon. Love that Vela, kind of you to loan it to your pal

sold 73 guitars, that deserves a re-post.

Used older Core or an Older CE can be had for 1000 to 1500 depending

As we all know the last year has been a real P.I.T.A for most people. As a guitar tech here in the UK my business has been severly impacted over the course of the pandemic. I work from from home (My wife has cancer) and with no extra money coming in, I had to cull my guitar collection just to stay afloat.

During the cull amongst others I sold off some many guitars I lost track of what I'd sold (73 in 8 months). Yesterday my son was reading some of the forum postings and told me I'd got my posting wrong. He reminided me that I had loaned my S2 Vela to a friend (who due to severe medical issues) is in isolation. I emailed said friend and he joked "I was wondering when you'd ask for it back" I have told him that he can keep it until the current situation is over?

May I present my 2016 S2 Vela
50513248556_58a1859e5e_o.jpg

Beautiful guitar. I may be misremembering, but it doesn't seem like you see a lot of Vela's here on the forum. I'm actually ashamed to admit I've never played one, but I really dig the color of yours.

I had a rare guitar day yesterday were I went to play but not really looking for anything specific. I played a SE 35th Cu24, Its not the first time but the last few times I was looking to buy a core or CE and honestly didn't give it much of a chance. Man, the 35th is super sweet! Probably the best stock SE I've played. A really nice playing, sounding, and looking guitar for a cap of $1k. If that was my budget max it would be hard to beat new.

I think that at the end of the day, I'd prefer an excellent condition S2, something I could kick back with, put my feet up on the footstool and unwind with. If it were a workhorse guitar I were pursuing, it would be an excellent used core model. Yet the poll limits us to $1K, so I'd favor a used S2 to an SE, unless it were a 35th anniversary.

Back