If You Only Had 1000 Dollars: SE vs S2?

POLL: If you had only 1000 dollars, would you buy a sweet SE Custom, or a Satin Finish s2?

• Sweet dolled up SE Baby!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • American Made Satin Finish Plain Jane S2! C'mon man!!

Votes: 45 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have all the way from SE to Core. I have a couple of SE's that I value as much as my core. Having said that, like some of the others, I have never played an S2 that was less than stellar. The wood and fretwork on anything out of Stevensville are off the hook. They are consistently the very best I have ever played. It would be S2 all the way.

I’ll echo a lot of others and say S2 over SE. I was in the same boat last year. Once I got a chance to put my hands on both, I knew the S2 was the one. There was nothing wrong with the SE’s I tried, but the S2 just felt better. I ended up finding mine (2016 Custom 24) for $880 OTD.

I'd suggest to go play both. S2 are damn fine guitars that I want to love but whenever it comes down to A/B vs whatever its a different outcome. Go play em

I played one of the 35th Anniversary Cu24 SE in a shop the other day and it was hilariously good. I would get that. I had a S2 Vela and didn’t love it but that’s the only S2 I’ve played.

SE all the way. Don't get me wrong I like the S2 and I have owned a vela and currently own 4 cores but for the money I just prefer the SE's over the S2's. That being said for same kind of money you can get some get bargains in the used core models (3 of my cores cost less than $1000)

My current tricked favourites

Bernie Marsden Model
50460785698_b9f47ec9ce_k.jpg

Modded with =
Gotoh SD90 HAP tuners
Bone nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
"Hollow birds" decals
Tonerider alnico IV pickups
ABM wraparound bridge
Bell knobs

Chris Robertson Model
50461487836_ff3258b91f_o.jpg

Modded with =
Wilkinson WJ01 EZ-LOK hybrid tuners
Core nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
John Mann satin brass studs (I have a set of gold studs on order)
Core pickup surround
Lampshade knobs

Santana / Custom 22 hybrid.
50461659782_db0e8d233b_o.jpg

Mods include =
Gotoh SG381 with rosewood buttons
Custom ebony & MOP TRC
Dragon II pickups
MannMade Hybrid Tremolo
5 way rotary switch with upgraded wiring.
Lampshade knobs

And last but not least
Nick Catanese Model
50460790408_d219e4190a_k.jpg

Mods include =
Custom airbrushed werewolf
Gotoh SG381 with bone buttons
Core nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
Schroeder wraparound bridge
Locking brass studs
EMG pickups reversed (81 in neck - 85 in bridge)
24 volt battery mod
No number speed dial knobs

Last edited:
SE all the way. Don't get me wrong I like the S2 and I have owned a vela and currently own 4 cores but for the money I just prefer the SE's over the S2's. That being said for same kind of money you can get some get bargains in the used core models (3 of my cores cost less than $1000)

My current tricked favourites

Bernie Marsden Model
50460785698_b9f47ec9ce_k.jpg

Modded with =
Gotoh HAP90 tuners tuners
Bone nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
"Hollow birds" decals
Tonerider alnico II pickups
ABM wraparound bridge
Bell knobs

Chris Robertson Model
50461487836_ff3258b91f_o.jpg

Modded with =
Custom hybrid tuners
Core nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
John Mann satin brass studs (I have a set of gold studs on order)
Core pickup surround
Lampshade knobs

Santana / Custom 22 hybrid.
50461659782_db0e8d233b_o.jpg

Mods include =
Gotoh tuners with rosewood buttons
Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
Dragon II pickups
Hybrid MannMade Tremolo
5 way rotary switch with upgraded wiring.
Lampshade knobs

And last but not least
Nick Catanese Model
50460790408_d219e4190a_k.jpg

Mods include =
Custom airbrushed werewolf
Gotoh tuners with bone keys
Core nut
Custom ebony / MOP TRC
Schroeder wraparound bridge
Locking brass studs
EMG pickups reversed (81 in neck - 85 in bridge)
24 volt battery mod
No number speed dial knobs

Wow! Those bad ass man! Taking making it your own to whole new level. Nice job!!!

100 tacos for $100!

I'd prob go SE Paul's because of the neck and TCI pickups, but an S2 has killer hardware. I'd play both and pick the winner then.

The bridge is the same and both tuners are import (S2 is locking). Pups are the same, and maybe the rest of the electronics? The frets and wood are different along with neck pattern. But yes, play em both and then pick..

I don't know if all the similarities has more to do with keeping the SE $1k or the S2 under $2k but more than likely both. Either way were still talking nice guitars when 4 figures is being thrown around

S-2...find a good used one. I’ve seen custom 22’s for $999? Seek, and ye shall find. Also, play a bunch..SE’s, S-2’s, and even Core’s. I’ve seen Mira’s and Starla’s going for right around a grand.

I voted S2. Build quality and playability on every one I’ve played has been about Core level.

Personally the only SE I’ve really liked is the Zach Myers, though I have played a few random examples over the years that have been good (an SE One with the P90, an old Santana model).

In either case, I’d probably end up swapping electronics and pickups, just for my tastes.

Back