Which SE('s) to buy?

Cedarburger

I love the SE line. Recently, due to some personal issues, I was forced to sell off my gear. With the reductions in prices to the SE line, I can purchase a couple of SE models with the money from the sales of my stuff, and still have a few dollars left over.

If you could only buy 2 SE's to cover the most ground and really experience PRS, which SE's would you buy?

24-08? Paul's guitar? McCarty 594? Semi hollow? ZM 594?..just not sure. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks!

I love the SE line. Recently, due to some personal issues, I was forced to sell off my gear. With the reductions in prices to the SE line, I can purchase a couple of SE models with the money from the sales of my stuff, and still have a few dollars left over.

If you could only buy 2 SE's to cover the most ground and really experience PRS, which SE's would you buy?

24-08? Paul's guitar? McCarty 594? Semi hollow? ZM 594?..just not sure. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks!

That depends on the sounds you want. A 594 and Silver Sky would cover the LP/Strat territory for example and a few extra tones on the 594 due to coil splitting. A Cu24-08 has a 'similar' 8 options to a 594, but are 'different' due to different HB's and a different Neck HB position. A Paul's is similar too - again a slightly different 8 choices from 2 HB's. A Paul's and 594 may give 16 different tones, but arguably cover the same ground so to speak.

So it really comes down to which you prefer, whether you prefer Trems/fixed bridge, what scale length or neck carve, which Pups you prefer etc.

It would help if you listed some types of music that you play and what you liked about other guitars you have owned. All you are going to get with a vague question is what everyone else likes.

Well, I don’t know what your tastes and needs are, but here’s my opinion, based on trying all current model SEs except the ones that just came out last week:

The DGT is the best one in build quality. It’s not my favorite, and I will not be buying one, but it is the best made one. It just is a step above and closer to the feeling of a USA PRS. At least the ones I’ve tried have been.

But my favorites in the SE range would be the ones that aren’t currently otherwise being made: the Starla, Mira and Custom 22 SH models. I am also excited to try the SAS one when they become available in my neck of the woods.

It would help if you listed some types of music that you play and what you liked about other guitars you have owned. All you are going to get with a vague question is what everyone else likes.
Music taste varies widely.

I have played a SE Custom 24 and really liked the feel. I was considering an SE CU22 SH, but haven't played one. I just need to limit cost so want some versatility and not one guitar per genre.

Music taste varies widely.

I have played a SE Custom 24 and really liked the feel. I was considering an SE CU22 SH, but haven't played one. I just need to limit cost so want some versatility and not one guitar per genre.
Do you have a preference on number of frets?

Do you prefer thinner or thicker necks?

Any wood combinations you really like or can't stand?

A Paul's SE for sure. They just came out with a cool turquoise one. I can say a Paul's SE gives you a lot of USA PRS goodness. I think their pickups are exceptional and have a beautiful bloom quality to them, they're the most expensive SE but for good reason IMO. No need to mod. The toggle switches for each pickup also give great single coil sounds that are actually useful and intuitive to use. It's my favorite PRS, period.

Second choice would be a hollowbody II no piezo needed. Great build quality, lots on sale and they can give exceptional clean tones but handle gain quite well.

Otherwise it's nice to have a Strat, the Paul's honestly gives great strat tones IMO but you can get those dedicated sounds from a lot of other guitars later on.

I would get a silver sky and CU24-08. You’ll cover a ton of ground and also get bolt-on, set-neck, humbucker, single coil, 25” scale and 25.5” scale. Plus with the sale, exceptional value.

A Paul's SE for sure. They just came out with a cool turquoise one. I can say a Paul's SE gives you a lot of USA PRS goodness. I think their pickups are exceptional and have a beautiful bloom quality to them, they're the most expensive SE but for good reason IMO. No need to mod. The toggle switches for each pickup also give great single coil sounds that are actually useful and intuitive to use. It's my favorite PRS, period.

Second choice would be a hollowbody II no piezo needed. Great build quality, lots on sale and they can give exceptional clean tones but handle gain quite well.

Otherwise it's nice to have a Strat, the Paul's honestly gives great strat tones IMO but you can get those dedicated sounds from a lot of other guitars later on.
Please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the difference between the 24-08 and Paul's Guitar?

Please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the difference between the 24-08 and Paul's Guitar?
2 frets, tremolo vs stoptail, pickups, neck shape
And a different sound because of the Neck Pick-up position due to the 22 vs 24 frets.

The Paul's is 'closer' to a 'Les Paul' with P90's without the Single Coil Hum
The 594 is close to a Vintage 'Les Paul' inc a similar layout
The Cu24-08 is the expanded version of the Guitar that PRS launched with, a more 'modern' vibe.

Its basically different 'flavours' of the Double Humbucker guitar. You can use any to play the SAME songs for example, and each has similar 8 options to choose, but each will have its own Flavour. If you are chasing a Les Paul sound, the Cu24 for example would be the furthest away from getting that sound - even if you swap Pups. The closest is a 594 as it also has individual tone/volume controls to blend like a LP.

Each will give you '8' pick-up selection choices in a Single 2 HB guitar. However, each has its 'own' flavour and unique necks, bridge, pickups etc to suit different preferences or needs.

No

I have always felt 41mm a little too thin.

I don't really think so.
Strictly humbuckers? Or do you like single coils as well?

I am so surprised no one has recommended an SE McCarty 594!
This could be a good choice. The 594 and the DGT are great guitars. Both are pretty new to the SE line as well. If I were giving you my personal preferences I would stay 594, then DGT and look hard at the new SAS. I have all of these models in core level guitars and they are all great but a little different from one another.

My questions are an attempt to figure out your preferences in guitars to help identify which one or two may be something you will really enjoy and avoid getting something you will hate. It is really about looking at the features and specs to figure out which one fits you best.

Back