Which SE('s) to buy?

Strictly humbuckers? Or do you like single coils as well?
I like both.
This could be a good choice. The 594 and the DGT are great guitars. Both are pretty new to the SE line as well. If I were giving you my personal preferences I would stay 594, then DGT and look hard at the new SAS. I have all of these models in core level guitars and they are all great but a little different from one another.
Had a few minutes so stopped in at GC and messed with an SAS a little. Just not sure that the HSH configuration isn't a little too hard rock/metal. Thoughts?
My questions are an attempt to figure out your preferences in guitars to help identify which one or two may be something you will really enjoy and avoid getting something you will hate. It is really about looking at the features and specs to figure out which one fits you best.
I completely understand this. I always thought a single coils guitar plus a humbucker guitar would kind of cover a lot of ground.

Seems like back in the day, that's what there was: Fender type Single coil (incl. variants like p90s) and Gibson type HB.

I like both.

Had a few minutes so stopped in at GC and messed with an SAS a little. Just not sure that the HSH configuration isn't a little too hard rock/metal. Thoughts?

I completely understand this. I always thought a single coils guitar plus a humbucker guitar would kind of cover a lot of ground.

Seems like back in the day, that's what there was: Fender type Single coil (incl. variants like p90s) and Gibson type HB.
The SAS is definitely not just a hard rock or metal guitar. There used to be a couple of guys on the old forums that loved them for jazz. I play a wide variety of music and my SAS has done it all very well. It is nice to have the in between strat type sounds along with the two humbucker guitar. The SAS does tend to be a bit brighter and snappy due to the woods. I have a couple of friends that have told me that if I ever decide to sell mine that they want a phone call from me.

Even when you go all single coils there are things to consider. A Strat sounds different than a Tele. I have spent a lot of time on both. I also like my humbuckers. I have been in bands playing a wide variety of music. I am a fan of both types of pickups. My main guitar is an HSS configuration. It really works for what I do.

I like both.

A lot of that is 'historical' because of the history of Electric Guitars.

So you have the Fender 'tele/strat' Single Coil and Gibson Humbucker LP/SG guitars that the vast majority of Electric Guitar based music was recorded on that really established certain sounds. Single Coils are now expected to sound like a Strat for example because of that. Strats may have Single Coils, but not every Single Coil is fitted to a Strat so won't sound like a strat.

Little Wing is Famous for its strat tone for example, but that doesn't mean you can't play it on a Les Paul to do your 'own' version. Not all double Humbuckers sound like a Les Paul either and if you only have a Les Paul for example, that isn't preventing you from playing songs that are famously played on a Strat. Both have the same notes on the same frets so it makes no difference in reality - its just different 'tone'

Its literally like an artist working with a few paints to create their art or wanting multiple shades of every colour to expand the palette because maybe you can't quite get that perfect shade with the colours you have. With Guitars its similar - you can play all the same notes/chords on 1 guitar, use its 'limited' tones to get as close as it can to a different instrument/pick-up you can (even if you have to rely on Pedals/amp tweaks to get closer) but if you want to get that sound as close as possible, then having more instruments gives you a wider palette. For example, you can play Little Wing on a LP but a Strat will get you closer to the 'Hendrix' tone.

A 594 and a Cu24-08 both have Double Humbuckers and individual coil splitting that gives you the same '8' pick-up selection choices - but as they are different guitars with different Pups and less distance between the Pups, it has a Different tone - nothing to say you can't use a Cu24 instead of a 594 (or vice versa) as both can still sound great playing the same song in a band, but you may prefer the way one sounds to you than the other.

If you want the 'classic' tones that a lot of music was recorded with in the early days of 'modern music', then a 594 and Silver Sky - the LP and Strat of PRS gives you those. A cu24 instead of 594 would still give you same 'versatility' but more of a modern vibe than Classic/vintage Humbucker (LP) tones and Pauls, another double HB coil splitting guitar has a more P90-ish tone, without the Single coil hum. 3 very similar HB guitars but all slightly different and with different Neck carves too. The 'more' guitars you have, the larger the 'Palette' of tones but some are more like subtle shade differences (a bit darker/brighter, hotter/cooler, thicker/thinner etc) so you can get the exact shade you want which may not always be possible if you are chasing a specific Tone (like Hendrix Strat tone on a Les Paul). You also need to ask, are you chasing someone elses tones or more inclined to make Cover versions more your own with 'your' tone?

For me, it'd be the Hollowbody II. I have 20 guitars (only 7 are PRS), but if I could only keep one, that would be it. Plays great, and surprising versatile, covers a ton of styles/sounds. YMMV, of course...

Probably a Silver Sky and a Hollowbody II or 594. Silver Sky will give you those single coil chimes and the HBII & 594 both come with the PAF humbuckers. Get the piezo version of the HBII if you want acoustic tones.

I am so surprised no one has recommended an SE McCarty 594!
I have one. It had two or three issues as soon as I got it home. The input jack assembly had to be re-bent. It was so loose the cord almost fell out of it. There was a small dent in the backside of the body. It needed a full setup, which is not unusual with other SE models.

Once that was all taken care of, I really liked the feel of the neck and have gotten some very good clean and distorted sounds out of it. I wish the control pots had more taper, and I wish it had 50’s wiring. The pickups aren’t bad, but I may replace them in the future. I would definitely gig with it either as a backup or for different tunings and as a slide rig.

This sucks. If they weren't on sale, it wouldn't be so hard. Loving the SE ZM 594, too. I was trying soooo hard to be reasonable about this!

3 would be irresponsible, right?

Right now leaning towards an SE 24-08 and a Hollowbody II.

That's a good place to start - but as most here will confirm, it will take a LOT of self-control (or no cash) to limit yourself to just these two, they are quite addictive and you'll always be wanting more to expand your Tonal palette.

Whether its an SAS, Silver Sky, 594 or even one of the Signature models (Myers, Holcomb, Santana etc) they'll all have their own unique sounds the Cu24-08 or HBii won't quite be able to match so it may start with 1 or 2 guitars but there is so much temptation and variety that its easy to 'justify' adding more. Don't have a 'Strat, Tele, Les Paul style, don't have a Floyd/floating/fixed bridge, Low/High output pups, 7/12 string, Baritone etc so there is always something you can use to justify buying another guitar if you want or need to...

I still think you should perhaps go through the SE models on the PRS website to get an idea of the difference in specs and/or sounds - I think they all have youtube videos demoing the guitar and all the positions to get a better idea of what they offer and/or sound like before going to a store to get a better idea of how they 'feel' to you in your hands. That's the only way to really know which guitar(s) you should buy 'first'. As its only you that will be playing, your money, you should buy what you 'prefer' - not what others prefer as their preferences could be very different to yours...

If you feel a Cu24-08 and HBii is right for you, then that is the 'best' guitars to start with - you can always add others to expand your tonal palette if/when required. Its far more important to have a guitar you want to pick up and play and only you can find that guitar...

As for buying more - its only irresponsible if you can't afford it and/or leave yourself (and/or family) in a difficult position with paying bills etc. If you can afford it, its no more irresponsible than spending the 'Same' money on a Single guitar for example. I own 8 guitars myself and that is a 'very' modest collection compared to some here....

Last edited:
That's a good place to start - but as most here will confirm, it will take a LOT of self-control (or no cash) to limit yourself to just these two, they are quite addictive and you'll always be wanting more to expand your Tonal palette.

Whether its an SAS, Silver Sky, 594 or even one of the Signature models (Myers, Holcomb, Santana etc) they'll all have their own unique sounds the Cu24-08 or HBii won't quite be able to match so it may start with 1 or 2 guitars but there is so much temptation and variety that its easy to 'justify' adding more. Don't have a 'Strat, Tele, Les Paul style, don't have a Floyd/floating/fixed bridge, Low/High output pups, 7/12 string, Baritone etc so there is always something you can use to justify buying another guitar if you want or need to...

I still think you should perhaps go through the SE models on the PRS website to get an idea of the difference in specs and/or sounds - I think they all have youtube videos demoing the guitar and all the positions to get a better idea of what they offer and/or sound like before going to a store to get a better idea of how they 'feel' to you in your hands. That's the only way to really know which guitar(s) you should buy 'first'. As its only you that will be playing, your money, you should buy what you 'prefer' - not what others prefer as their preferences could be very different to yours...

If you feel a Cu24-08 and HBii is right for you, then that is the 'best' guitars to start with - you can always add others to expand your tonal palette if/when required. Its far more important to have a guitar you want to pick up and play and only you can find that guitar...
For me if I COULD do 3, at his very moment it would be (all SEs) Paul's Guitar, ZM594, Hollowbody II.

I've decided on an SE Custom. I have it narrowed down to the regular charcoal one, and the charcoal quilt one with the binding.

If price didn't matter, which of the 2 do you think looks better? I'm not sure the binding and colored headstock actually look good.

Back