If You Only Had 1000 Dollars: SE vs S2?

POLL: If you had only 1000 dollars, would you buy a sweet SE Custom, or a Satin Finish s2?

• Sweet dolled up SE Baby!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • American Made Satin Finish Plain Jane S2! C'mon man!!

Votes: 45 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShawnF1222

If you have 1000 dollars to spend, would you buy an SE and nice and dolled up with those sweet finishes, or a S2 Satin finish? Curious as to what the PRS guitar masters think. Be a sport and play!! Thanks.

For around a grand I built my #1. SE custom 24, locking tuners, Mann trem, USA nut, and Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. It is a very fine instrument. I am not sure a core would make $2500 happier.

My buddy, a gigging jazz player, used it for a gig and loved it. Believe me he’s played some guitars. His #1 is an old L-5 which is probably worth a fortune. He asked me to put a prs together for him.

I am sure S2s are fine instruments, but I’ve played tons of SEs and they are consistently great. My next axe will either be an SE 22 semi-hollow or an SE hollow body.

The number one question to answer is what neck profile do you like or want? Pattern Regular or Wide Thin? S2 is only pattern Regular. I choose the SE for the wide thin. I like the pattern regular but prefer the wide thin. As you've already said, next would be finish.. I like satin but really the SE's have some great looking tops that are hard to resist. My first SE I said why would I ever need a core (until I got one)? They both have the same trem and pups. The S2 has locking tuners but easy and cheap enough to change on your first SE string change. Some complain about the SE nut, I've never had an issue with one. I do put graphite on all my nuts, but if you do have an issue a core is a direct swap.

The CU24 is what I think of when I think PRS, the SE nails that on a budget as is and if you wish you can upgrade along the way or save for your next PRS. They are addictive. I like the S2 satin and want one but it's not a guitar I would play as often as a CU24. I play them everyday. That said the S2 is a real workhorse, too. On this same vein there is the S2 cu24 but for me I'd rather have a SE or go full core. The S2 is nice and made in the USA but it has too many Asian parts for me to consider it full US.

Either way there is no wrong choice but I'd answer the question with neck profile and finish. Good luck the hunt is half the fun!

Last edited:
Back