How Famous Do I Need To Be...

"If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." - Thumper
thumper.png

Literally LOL. Carlos/Howard/Peter/John famous. Because you could afford to collaborate with PRS. Otherwise, the average joe has the PS route, where dreams are dreams and the sky is the limit, just so your pockets are just as deep as the sky is limitless.

Well, I think the fame angle is probably tied to an estimation of how many units of something could be sold by putting that famous person's name on it. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure of it. I think being famous is merely the platform by which lots of stuff can get sold if you put a famous person's name on it. Heck, not even being able to play really good is as important as being famous I suppose. BUT... having a famous player using your gear does tend to lend some credibility to the gear itself. Sheesh.... marketing.

Anyway, I guess since no one has ever heard of me, I suppose I'll just have to either build one of these myself or find a "never-heard-of-him" guitar builder who will make me one for me.

"If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." - Thumper
The quote was mean for me. The shape in discussion is one I simply cannot fathom owning. In order to prevent me from saying something "Not nice," I'll just take Thumper's advice.

I don’t like the tight legged Vs. I prefer the come to mama wide open stance. The fatter Vs, if you will.

If PRS made one, I would probably want one. I still want a Dweezil PRS badly. They were $12,000 at a time when I did not have $12,000 :D I met him at a Master Class he gave before a show. He was very nice and humble. He signed everything and took pictures with everyone. He was a good speaker, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
Well, I think the fame angle is probably tied to an estimation of how many units of something could be sold by putting that famous person's name on it. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure of it. I think being famous is merely the platform by which lots of stuff can get sold if you put a famous person's name on it. Heck, not even being able to play really good is as important as being famous I suppose. BUT... having a famous player using your gear does tend to lend some credibility to the gear itself. Sheesh.... marketing.

Anyway, I guess since no one has ever heard of me, I suppose I'll just have to either build one of these myself or find a "never-heard-of-him" guitar builder who will make me one for me.

No offense, H18, but when I read "how famous do I have to be," my mind said, "You likely already have one." One what? Not a custom-built PRS Flying V, but a dream. There are many people who have dreamt of making or building things, but never calculated the cost of this type of project.

The reason I LOL'd was because others have asked questions like yours, and the blunt answer is that PRS would need to build or program a special CNC framework for the guitar body, even before using hand tools and labor intensive hours for completing the project. Certain body shapes have been allowed (the arch top, the SC-J series, the chambered body), but even with the remote chance of configuring the CNC machine, you might run afoul of copyright laws with certain companies that already produce this model guitar. Liability and legal issues might be cause for not producing the PRS Flying V. Also it would take many man-hours to configure the CNC machine, as well as time invested towards the completion of a custom-built dream guitar.

Please forgive what seems to be rudeness on my part. My response was based on part disbelief and a calculated knowledge of what risks would be involved. And please forgive me squashing your dream, that was not my intent. My intent was to help you see what costs would be involved, what legal aspects there might be, and the timeframe to completion that would be required.

The quote was mean for me. The shape in discussion is one I simply cannot fathom owning. In order to prevent me from saying something "Not nice," I'll just take Thumper's advice.

I thought it might have come on the heels of my comment. You were right, though. Perhaps my LOLing was a response to what the OP wrote in the title, and thinking, "Could that be clarified a little?" TBH, my response was also in part because others have put questions of various body shapes past the PS team, and they've been met with a gentle dissuasion because of CNC frameworks and legal liability issues.

Thumper aside, the issue about "not saying anything" works effectively if a Flower doesn't spray like a skunk. Thumper was mocking Flower because of her name, not who she was. I comprehend the illustration, the real question is, who can afford to pay the bill for a dream guitar of this kind? Not this pair of well-used cargo pants.

No offense, H18, but when I read "how famous do I have to be," my mind said, "You likely already have one." One what? Not a custom-built PRS Flying V, but a dream. There are many people who have dreamt of making or building things, but never calculated the cost of this type of project.

The reason I LOL'd was because others have asked questions like yours, and the blunt answer is that PRS would need to build or program a special CNC framework for the guitar body, even before using hand tools and labor intensive hours for completing the project. Certain body shapes have been allowed (the arch top, the SC-J series, the chambered body), but even with the remote chance of configuring the CNC machine, you might run afoul of copyright laws with certain companies that already produce this model guitar. Liability and legal issues might be cause for not producing the PRS Flying V. Also it would take many man-hours to configure the CNC machine, as well as time invested towards the completion of a custom-built dream guitar.

Please forgive what seems to be rudeness on my part. My response was based on part disbelief and a calculated knowledge of what risks would be involved. And please forgive me squashing your dream, that was not my intent. My intent was to help you see what costs would be involved, what legal aspects there might be, and the timeframe to completion that would be required.

Absolutely no offense taken. I appreciate candid honesty and believe whole hardheartedly in free speech. Not only that but after having produced controversial content for the consumption of web surfers for decades now, it seems that I have developed an unusually thick skin. Not only that, but I've been yelled at by experts (Drill Sergeants) in basic training. No worries at all.

As for the logistics behind it all, yes, I'm hip to all that too. I've toured three different guitar factories and I feel like i have an understanding of what needs to happen to make something like this idea happen with respect to the rules of honest capitalism. I believe the PRS S2 line would be the best production line to bring guitars like this into reality. A scarf joint on the neck is really no big deal and the body carve doesn't need to be as curvy as the core line carves. A Flying V design is a relatively simple body style so it doesn't really need to be a Core model.

As far as law suits go, well, there is nothing wrong with paying Gibby a license fee so long as it is a really loooooowwwball fee to keep them quiet. There are SO MANY guitar brands making V shapped guitars that I really don't think Gibson as a chance in hell of winning a copyright lawsuit. I think the Gibson V design could be reasonably argued to be a "generic" guitar body style in this day and age. So giving Gibby a tiny little bit of hush money would be a lot better than an expensive legal battle that PRS would probably win.

The Flying V repeats the body shape into its headstock.

Maybe PRS could do the opposite - create a body shape based on their headstock outline?

If I had more time, I'd mock one up, but I'm slow at that. Pretty sure someone here can do it in the time it took me to type this post.

The PRS headstock shape was invented by Guild many years ago.
Paul just softened the points a little bit.

:p

nBvDQ24SELEdmF3EuU1AXUKuWRIoCPJIpfBgWz6OaQjTOkDHGUSSAbs1WmDFexXLqVVC3o_X1tWhYCXU5wHnpaTLrHWEtpm-hwDpPZ7L4ffInAL5SrwxA7NELopAk2YaLnq1=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

How famous of a guitar player do I need to be to have PRSh build me a guitar to my specs? I mean like the way he worked with John Mayer to come up with the Silver Sky where they came up with a guitar body shape which PRS had never done before.

Yes, I want a PRS guitar, in that I want PRS to build the guitar the way only PRS can build a guitar, but I also want the functionality that I personally enjoy from a guitar body of a different shape. No, there is nothing wrong with the PRS body shape. I have a lot of those and I'm keeping them.

But there is a different body shape that I also like... perhaps even more than the standard PRS shape because I personally find it to be a lot more functional "for me personally". Get it? Does anyone already make a body shape like this? Yes, but I have a lot higher standards these days and no one is currently making this guitar body shape to the high standards which I know I can get only from PRS.

Okay then... I'll say it. I want a PRS version/modification of a Flying V guitar body design.
^^^All of this, except I want a PRS Tele^^^
Runs and hides...

Back