How Famous Do I Need To Be...

By that logic, PRS already did their version of the Flying V when they released the 594. Doesn’t look like same, but the bridge, pickups and controls are close enough.

It hadn't occurred to me that the body shape of a Telecaster served any useful function, cosmetic or otherwise. Perhaps I assumed that everyone thought they were horrendously ugly and people only tolerated them for the specific tone you get from a Telecaster. So, if you are saying that you/others specifically like the shape of a Tele (though I find that hard to believe) then I understand your point and judge it to be a valid point.

Agreed... but if you see the past takes on the "S" type guitar (EG/305/DC3), and then look at how the Silver Sky came together... Yeah... find a Tele guy and make his guitar.

Missed opportunity with the Brent mason collaboration...though that neck kinda feels tele like to me. Though a real tele player might have a different opinion..cuz I am not a chicken picker. I love my BM sig guitar.

Just to add in I agree with the reason for this post....It's crazy that PRS guitars is just at a different caliber of feel, quality and tone than everyone else...price point vs price point all the way across the market. Yea..when i play my other guitars when i feel sorry for them...I notice the quality gap too.

Then again, I've also realized and I'm getting old, my fingers are a lot more difficult to use in recent years than previously, and that by the time PRS ever comes up with a Flying V, I probably won't be able to play the guitar anymore. I should just continue to enjoy the guitars I have now while I still can.

The same thing (sort of) happened to me before. Decades ago I sent a letter to Ruger firearms asking them to build me a 9 shot .357 Magnum revolver on a Redhawk frame. (At the time I didn't realize that there wasn't enough room for 9 shots.) Eventually, Ruger actually made what I asked them to make (as closes a physically possible) and the came out with an 8 shot .357 Magnum on their large frame DA Revolver frame. But, by the time they had actually come out with what I asked them to build, I no longer had a use for something that big and heavy. (Same reason I don't play a heavy-assed Les Paul anymore. My hands and lower back can't pick up and handle heavy things like that all day long anymore.)

Then again, I've also realized and I'm getting old, my fingers are a lot more difficult to use in recent years than previously, and that by the time PRS ever comes up with a Flying V, I probably won't be able to play the guitar anymore. I should just continue to enjoy the guitars I have now while I still can.

The same thing (sort of) happened to me before. Decades ago I sent a letter to Ruger firearms asking them to build me a 9 shot .357 Magnum revolver on a Redhawk frame. (At the time I didn't realize that there wasn't enough room for 9 shots.) Eventually, Ruger actually made what I asked them to make (as closes a physically possible) and the came out with an 8 shot .357 Magnum on their large frame DA Revolver frame. But, by the time they had actually come out with what I asked them to build, I no longer had a use for something that big and heavy. (Same reason I don't play a heavy-assed Les Paul anymore. My hands and lower back can't pick up and handle heavy things like that all day long anymore.)

Good for you. There's a time for wishful thinking, and a time for being content with what you have.

Much like yourself, I've gravitated towards lighter-weight guitars and amps, for the sake of saving my back. What I'm currently doing to preserve my back is, some physical therapy for shoulder impingement and back strengthening exercises so my gym's personal trainer will allow me to use their shoulder and back machines.

Currently, the personal trainer says, "No way" because of my limited range of motion. Hoping in the next month or so to be able to make it back to where the gym machines will strengthen what is needed.

This is not intended so I can play or carry heavier guitars or amps. More correctly, it's so I don't end up hunched over with a huge belly, moobs, and a weak back. (Prefer to still walk upright as I age, thanks...)

The Flying V repeats the body shape into its headstock.

Maybe PRS could do the opposite - create a body shape based on their headstock outline?

If I had more time, I'd mock one up, but I'm slow at that. Pretty sure someone here can do it in the time it took me to type this post.
I was looking to give my mind something else to do at lunch other than read depressing news, so I mocked up something. Had to squish the body lengthwise to make it more reasonable in proportions (which ruined the "feel" by squishing the curve of the horns too), and move the pickup selector inward.

3Bj1zqt.jpg

Yeah, PRS should definitely not do that.

{looks in mirror}

Hmm.

{pushes away the donut}

You and me both. Not a fan of my oversized chubby Dad look. I know my metabolism is slowing down, just need to make sure to maintain/improve what muscle is there. My brother is doing well with his, down from 295 to 230 with diet and exercise. And my brother is more than 6 inches taller than me.

It hadn't occurred to me that the body shape of a Telecaster served any useful function, cosmetic or otherwise. Perhaps I assumed that everyone thought they were horrendously ugly and people only tolerated them for the specific tone you get from a Telecaster. So, if you are saying that you/others specifically like the shape of a Tele (though I find that hard to believe) then I understand your point and judge it to be a valid point.
Yes, I actually like the Telecaster shape. We are all wired a little differently. What looks appealing to one is appalling to another.

I think it would take someone truly iconic to pull off a "PRS Tele," like Keith Richards or Bruce Springsteen (arguably the only living legends (to the masses) who really "own" that model, aside from the legion of regular users). But I attribute the success of the Silver Sky to John Mayer -- right guy at right time, and untapped audience, in addition to existing users. Honestly, I don't think that exists for anyone else right now (but I could be completely wrong).

As for a Flying V, I will likely never buy one from anyone, but after all the incessant threads about the Silver Sky and its gig bag, I would love to see the chaos the would ensue for a PRS V, based on the case, alone! Hah!!!

Missed opportunity with the Brent mason collaboration...though that neck kinda feels tele like to me. Though a real tele player might have a different opinion..cuz I am not a chicken picker. I love my BM sig guitar.
Annoyingly, Fender has released a Limited Edition Brent Mason Telecaster recently. He's obviously moved back to that fold, ever since he and PRS parted ways. Oh well.

I would like to see a full on PRS version of the telecaster (IMHO the Vela is about 75% of the way there), but with the little things that PRS would do to make it better - belly carves and forearm relief via beveled edges like a PRS S2 normally has (or like a Strat, ha ha), classic PRS headstock or maybe even the same reverse-headstock as the Silver Sky, better access to the high frets, and 22 frets :)rolleyes:).

In a meeting the other day Paul mentioned that he took his original headstock design and knocked the corners off. This created the Santana headstock.

View attachment 8311
Awesome!

And I hope someone is writing all these anecdotes down so they can go into a book - either a brand new book, or an update to Burrluck's "The PRS Guitar Book" (and expanded, not abridged like the last version!)

Actually @Shawn@PRS , you do seem like a perfect candidate to be writing such a book...

Back