Have you ever bought the same guitar to get a better top?

I have done it, kind of regretted it afterwards, but it wasn't a PRS, it was Gibson. I had a Futura that was absolutely killer, loved how well it played. Found an identical one with a much nicer top and even some flame on the neck. It was nice, but didn't inspire me to play it as much as the other one did, even though it was prettier. Sound was relatively the same, but playability was night and day.
Yea for a Gibson, a dangerous move. If you find one that sounds and plays nicely, don't go swapping it out looking for a better one.

This decision is easier for me because 1) it's a PRS, and 2) I haven't had the first one long enough to develop any attachment to it.

Yea for a Gibson, a dangerous move. If you find one that sounds and plays nicely, don't go swapping it out looking for a better one.

This decision is easier for me because 1) it's a PRS, and 2) I haven't had the first one long enough to develop any attachment to it.

I agree with your comments about Gibson regarding their "core" instruments, but their custom shop guitars are a high quality and very consistent. (Whereas PRS core are always top notch).

I haven’t.... yet.

But whatever floats your boat, I won’t judge. I’ve got some guitars that are just flat-out fashion accessories.

For reference on my two in the OP:

First guitar purchased:

qwhnvn2otmrx0vwwej8e.jpg

Second guitar purchased 2 weeks later:

pgngei4gzvixihz8ikxv.jpg

I think the top looks better, and the hardware is in better condition as well. (also comes with the correct trem arm).
Wow honestly, both are fantastic! The conventional opinion would be that 2nd one looks better due to the contrast and definition. But the 1st one has a ‘dirty’ look that is really cool. PRS has in the past intentionally favored and promoted ‘dirty’ tops like the Paul’s Dirty 100.

I'm personally pleased to answer "no" ... not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

I have however changed identical models for what I considered superior sounds though, I went through three other Cu24s before I found 'the one', a bunch of Strats, and over 20 LP Historics to find that one great one ... THAT was an expensive journey!

It's not your phone. #2 looks better to me on my PC :)

Curious to know as well.

Why do you think #1 is better?

I’m looking on my phone.

I’m sorry but you guys mean me? If so, I kinda prefer the wider flame plus the more unconventional look. If the question was addressed to someone else please ignore this.

Both of my CU22's....I bought the second one to PLAY. My other one is a limited run, hand signed, yadda yadda yadda.....so I am more apprehensive about playing it and scuffing or dinging it up. The new girl is to be fingered all crazy and not to be worried about. Both have ten tops, but one is a more "Valuable" guitar than the other.

50229537_10161281093610331_7384933744185966592_n.jpg

I see them better now that I’m on my IPad. They’re both very nice. Do you have other shots of those tops?
Thank you for the kind words. I don’t have any shots drastically different offhand, except in a different lighting:
f297q4K.jpg

CLZfAv9.jpg

Just to share though, this is the best flame top I’ve ever seen. Textbook perfect and yet full of character (owning to the curvature). Whoever is the Owner is a lucky guy!
collection_electric_2014a.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I don’t have any shots drastically different offhand, except in a different lighting:
f297q4K.jpg

CLZfAv9.jpg

Just to share though, this is the best flame top I’ve ever seen. Textbook perfect and yet full of character (owning to the curvature). Whoever is the Owner is a lucky guy!
collection_electric_2014a.jpg
I like your two McCarty Trem tops more than the Textbook top. But I like wide tops with some curves rather than textbook lines.

I did it when the Singlecut first came out.

I bought a wonderful sounding guitar with a ten top and moons in McCarty burst. A few months later, I spotted an Artist Package version at the dealer in some sort of Amber shade. It sounded and played great. So I bought it.

Feeling guilty as hell, I sold the plainer one. The new one was indeed great, but the plainer one suited me a little better, and it was gone.

That was 19 or 20 years ago. I wouldn’t do it again. At this point, I leave well enough alone.

No, but I bought a duplicate black guitar to have it refinished in white. PRS wasn't making any white guitars at the time except the Navarro, so it was pretty much my only option.

Totally on board with this. I would do the same!

Update:

Picked up the 10-top version of the guitar last night. It's on the "bench" (read: dining room table) getting a cleanup and requisite updates (new style ivory pickup rings and lampshade knobs). I'd post a photo, but I'll just save it for the NGD thread :)

This is for sure the one I'm picking between the two. However, like some of you mentioned, it's not always as clear-cut as we might imagine. Same goes here. The 10-top is a first year 2006 model, the standard top that I bought a few weeks earlier is a 2008. There are some differences between these two year models besides just the top. Such as:

- the 2006 uses plated tuning posts, just like the keys. By 2008, PRS switched to unplated brass posts. I like brass better.
- the 2006 uses a more round pickup switch cap. The 2008 uses the newer "flatter" blade cap. I like the flatter better.
- the 2006 tone pot pulls to split the neck humbucker. The 2008 defaults to a split neck pickup and a pulled tone pot engages the humbucker. I like default split better.

However, these are all quite easily remedied.

Back