2023 PRS Custom 24 10 top with underwhelming gold coloring on pickups

prs789

Hello all,

I bought a 2023 custom 24 10-top from Sweetwater last year and while it’s a really great guitar there’s one thing that bothers me probably more than it should. The screws on the pick ups (and to a lesser extent the screws that attach the pickups to the body) are basically silver when they should be gold. I reached out to PRS with some photos that were taken in artificial light and looked more golden and their reply was basically there are variances and this would meet PRS standards. I took these in direct light and to me they MIGHT have a little gold coloring but it’s very faint. I compared to another custom 24 that I have and it’s a big difference. This might be a dumb thing to be annoyed by but it’s also a near 6k dollar guitar so I feel like being picky is a little warranted. I’m going to reach out again with better pictures but has anyone dealt with this before?

change then out and enjoy , it's not like they make any difference in sound or playing

the white mount rings would bother me more than the color of the screws
they are both easily changed with parts from John Mann

John Mann's Guitar Vault sells all those screws. I just looked it up, it's about $30 for everything you want to do.
Thanks for letting me know! Any way you could link them? I saw some screws for the white mount around the pick ups but it sounds like maybe I can replace the screws on the actual pickup itself?

change then out and enjoy , it's not like they make any difference in sound or playing
Just to clarify. Am I able to change out the screws that are on the pick ups themself? Like the screw pickup pole piece? If so does that affect the tone at all?

Just to clarify. Am I able to change out the screws that are on the pick ups themself? Like the screw pickup pole piece? If so does that affect the tone at all?

Yes, 5-40 X 1/2” pole screws. Change the to whatever you want. I’ve done gold, black and even burned my own.

SMFXvbg.jpg

GLElAqG.jpg

RYFwjze.jpg

Interesting. Which color would you change the mount rings to?
Don't sweat the rings one bit.. black would look like ****. :) White looks great with your top and blend really well. Also, to me the squabbins look better with white vs a black mass that black rings add. Yes, you can swap out the pole pieces.

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know! Any way you could link them? I saw some screws for the white mount around the pick ups but it sounds like maybe I can replace the screws on the actual pickup itself?
The PRS Studio I bought last fall had screws in the humbucker that I had a hard time telling if they were gold or not they were so dark. The gold poles on the Narrofield pickups are bright gold. I ordered a set of gold screws from John Mann and replaced them. The new ones look much better and make things look like they should. He sells them on his website as well as through Reverb.

Oh my .. I hope there isn't a thread on does pickup screw color effect tone ? or the ring color or material .. really guys .. put the bong down
I don't know man...I just know those new gold screws made this guitar have some of the best toanz I have ever heard. :)

Of course that has nothing to do with the fact that I adjusted all 6 of those screws when I put them in and also adjusted the pickup height. ;)

Back