Have you ever bought the same guitar to get a better top?

This only goes to show how precious and rare it is to have the golden trinity in one single guitar: great tone, playability and looks.

I know it's shallow and meaningless, but still real. The look of a guitar can have an effect on the playing. If you don't feel good about the color etc. of a guitar, mentally it can bring some people down (me sometimes) and you don't play as wall because of your discomfort with the guitar. Some people have no weakness to this, but I'm not one. I can get over it though in some cases. I had a blue McCarty that I hated the color. I bought it any way and loved the guitar. traded it too... Had the opportunity to buy it again but was broke. Maybe three's a charm. It was just a great playing guitar. I'm starting to think the lesson here is the I shouldn't get rid of a guitar because I'll want it back.
It’s not shallow and meaningless in my book. When I’m not playing my guitars, they’re up on the wall in the open living area. I enjoy looking them, so does my wife, so do the friends and guests we have over. My wife likes my 10 Top DGT the best. It’s because PRS guitars are not only well made, and great to play, they’re often beautiful. Paul thinks so, as I bet do the builders who crafted them. So it’s part of the equation by design.

It’s not shallow and meaningless in my book. When I’m not playing my guitars, they’re up on the wall in the open living area. I enjoy looking them, so does my wife, so do the friends and guests we have over. My wife likes my 10 Top DGT the best. It’s because PRS guitars are not only well made, and great to play, they’re often beautiful. Paul thinks so, as I bet do the builders who crafted them. So it’s part of the equation by design.
Agree with this over the simple maxim out there (in the world wide web) that “guitars are meant to be played”. It’s ironical but the maxim itself is really what’s shallow.

If someone derives more joy just looking at his guitars than you playing yours, that person is utilizing his guitars better.

I would say the correct philosophy should be “guitars are meant to enjoyed. Any way you want to.”

Yep. While these are both really nice ME1s, I had to have the one on the left (and I bought them both from the same guy. :confused::oops:).

I sold the one on the right.

I changed the pups to 59/09s, pup rings to RW, and the knobs to lampshades and made this a beast. ME1s are arguably the best core model PRS has ever made.

I changed the pups to 59/09s, pup rings to RW, and the knobs to lampshades and made this a beast. ME1s are arguably the best core model PRS has ever made.

Tempting me again are you? I’m holding out for your Koa...acoustic! :D

59/09s are a match made in heaven for these!

I just did, and it feels a little weird. And yet very much worth it at the same time. Hadn't even gotten the first guitar cleaned up and photo'd for the NGD post I'd teased about, and saw a 10-top version in the same color and looks to be better condition for a little less ... so I jumped on it.

We'll find out soon if it was a wise decision. But a 10-top is almost always worth it, no?

Is the better top a lighter weight??

Not a better top, but a different top :) On the left, 2004 10 top Custom 24. I got that one first. On the right, a 2004 "Brazilian" limited edition Custom 24.
czNwWXI.jpg

I have a CU24 artist package that gets played very little. Why? Just doesn't do it for me. I 3 305"s that all sound a little different and I play them the most. I'm still deciding about the HBII but no matter what I wouldn't sell any of these. I'm sure this doesn't help much but it shows what makes a great guitar for me may not for you.

I have done it, kind of regretted it afterwards, but it wasn't a PRS, it was Gibson. I had a Futura that was absolutely killer, loved how well it played. Found an identical one with a much nicer top and even some flame on the neck. It was nice, but didn't inspire me to play it as much as the other one did, even though it was prettier. Sound was relatively the same, but playability was night and day.

Not a better top, but a different top :) On the left, 2004 10 top Custom 24. I got that one first. On the right, a 2004 "Brazilian" limited edition Custom 24.
czNwWXI.jpg

I have the sister to your Brazilian on the right, but with quilted maple. I've always been on the look out for a similar one too

Back