Have you ever bought the same guitar to get a better top?

There is no accounting for taste.

I hate the appearance of my SE Custom 24, but when I play it, the way it looks is entirely irrelevant.

The biggest purchase mistake I ever made was rejecting a lovely sounding/playing CE 24 because I hated the top. The pretty version I choose instead has inferior sound & been endlessly troublesome.

The first and foremost consideration is always 'Guitars are tools'.

Can't agree with this... For some that maybe the case but not for everyone.

I’ve always subscribed to “guitars are meant to be enjoyed”. :)

I agree. Whilst some may think a guitar is just a tool and its 'criminal' that a high quality instrument could be nothing but wall art or an investment, those strictly limited or one off's with precious materials for inlays, ones with historical value because of an artist who owned them etc, there are others who get enjoyment from owning guitars for other reasons.

If I owned a PRS Dragon, I doubt I would play it and I doubt I would buy one to be played. I have guitars to be played and a Dragon would be bought to appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship of such a stunning instrument. I would still appreciate it and get enjoyment from it - just in a different way to my other Guitars. I doubt I would buy a guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or any other guitar hero to be played - the majority of these 2nd hand guitars are bought to be put in a glass case for display purposes or even locked in a vault as an investment. i know some - like Greeny - still get played regularly by their new owner but most end up on display - either for personal or public enjoyment. That doesn't mean that I don't buy guitars as a 'tool', to be played etc but if I had money to burn so to speak, I would certainly buy guitars that I have no intention of playing.

Not every guitar is bought to be played, bought to be used and abused. A car can be bought as a tool too - a way to get from A to B, a way to have fun racing around tracks, something for a Sunday afternoon drive if the weather is 'perfect', something to stick on a pedestal and be admired, something for a museum for people to look at, something to be stuck in a garage somewhere as an investment etc. The same can apply to guitars - some bought for the rigours of touring, some bought for the studio or home use only, some bought to stick on a wall as art, some bought for historical value etc.

There are different types of owners - even within those that play there instruments too. There are those that couldn't really care less about the instrument - as long as it works - like car owners who jump into their car every day and as long as it gets them were they need to go, great - only topping up the oil if a warning light comes on where as others take a lot more care - still drive it every day but regularly maintain it, wash and wax it every weekend and would be upset if it got a scratch/ding and others are for ever tinkering with it, modding it etc. All of these still get driven (like a Guitar will still get played) but still have a 'different' attitude than just a 'tool' to get from A to B. For some, their Car (guitar) can be their pride and joy, something to be cherished and looked after but still used, others it can be the platform on which to mod it out to their specs, driven and shown off at special events but still cherished as more than just a tool....

I agree. Whilst some may think a guitar is just a tool and its 'criminal' that a high quality instrument could be nothing but wall art or an investment, those strictly limited or one off's with precious materials for inlays, ones with historical value because of an artist who owned them etc, there are others who get enjoyment from owning guitars for other reasons.

If I owned a PRS Dragon, I doubt I would play it and I doubt I would buy one to be played. I have guitars to be played and a Dragon would be bought to appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship of such a stunning instrument. I would still appreciate it and get enjoyment from it - just in a different way to my other Guitars. I doubt I would buy a guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or any other guitar hero to be played - the majority of these 2nd hand guitars are bought to be put in a glass case for display purposes or even locked in a vault as an investment. i know some - like Greeny - still get played regularly by their new owner but most end up on display - either for personal or public enjoyment. That doesn't mean that I don't buy guitars as a 'tool', to be played etc but if I had money to burn so to speak, I would certainly buy guitars that I have no intention of playing.

Not every guitar is bought to be played, bought to be used and abused. A car can be bought as a tool too - a way to get from A to B, a way to have fun racing around tracks, something for a Sunday afternoon drive if the weather is 'perfect', something to stick on a pedestal and be admired, something for a museum for people to look at, something to be stuck in a garage somewhere as an investment etc. The same can apply to guitars - some bought for the rigours of touring, some bought for the studio or home use only, some bought to stick on a wall as art, some bought for historical value etc.

There are different types of owners - even within those that play there instruments too. There are those that couldn't really care less about the instrument - as long as it works - like car owners who jump into their car every day and as long as it gets them were they need to go, great - only topping up the oil if a warning light comes on where as others take a lot more care - still drive it every day but regularly maintain it, wash and wax it every weekend and would be upset if it got a scratch/ding and others are for ever tinkering with it, modding it etc. All of these still get driven (like a Guitar will still get played) but still have a 'different' attitude than just a 'tool' to get from A to B. For some, their Car (guitar) can be their pride and joy, something to be cherished and looked after but still used, others it can be the platform on which to mod it out to their specs, driven and shown off at special events but still cherished as more than just a tool....

Amen. I don’t need to be told how to spend my money. The government takes care of that.

He’s right!

I’ve always subscribed to “guitars are meant to be enjoyed”. :)

He’s right, too!

How can they both be right?

Easy: Guitars are tools - for enjoyment. Get off on them any way you want.

Personally, I hang paintings on the wall, prioritize guitars as musical instruments, and would never in a million years buy a guitar knowing I wouldn’t play it, though I like to buy the pretty ones.

But if you want to hang your guitars on the wall and call them art, or hoard the things in closets never to be used, well, be my guest! They’re yours to do with as you like.

This being America, my firm belief is that we’re all fully entitled to be crazy in our own unique way.

FYI, I still may think you’re a little bit off in the head... o_O

Easy: Guitars are tools - for enjoyment. Get off on them any way you want.

As long as the method is legal in you state or region. Your mileage may vary. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. Consult a doctor if your jam lasts more than four hours. Some side effects have been reported. Do not use PRS guitars if you are allergic to PRS guitars or entertainment in general. This is a test. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed where to plug in, to tune up, then to turn down.

As long as the method is legal in you state or region. Your mileage may vary. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. Consult a doctor if your jam lasts more than four hours. Some side effects have been reported. Do not use PRS guitars if you are allergic to PRS guitars or entertainment in general. This is a test. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed where to plug in, to tune up, then to turn down.

Ha! They are woodies, are they not?

I just did, and it feels a little weird. And yet very much worth it at the same time. Hadn't even gotten the first guitar cleaned up and photo'd for the NGD post I'd teased about, and saw a 10-top version in the same color and looks to be better condition for a little less ... so I jumped on it.

We'll find out soon if it was a wise decision. But a 10-top is almost always worth it, no?

I suppose I did just that. I got an S2 in mahogany satin and upgraded to a custom s2 with a flame maple cap...the satin felt better to play. So organic (and dare I say, better sounding?) but I liked how the custom looked more.

Kind of like cars. You don't really see your car when you drive it but boy do we care how a car looks from the outside...

Yup. If the only way to enjoy this guitar is to play it, I’m:
A) Not looking at it hard enough.
B) Not caressing it enough.
C) Not opening and closing the case to peek enough.
D) Not smelling it enough.
F) Not feeling how perfectly flush the inlays are with the wood enough
G) Not noticing how much it resembles nature enough

Oh, what a sin!
XBqKTYH.jpg

Back