I want to buy a PRS but.. (finish issue)

In the end, it doesn't matter if it would bother any of us or not.

The fact is, it's your money and you deserve to be happy with your purchase. If you see it as something that will bother you over the course of time, find a different guitar to buy.

I will say, it's going to be almost impossible to find a guitar out there with absolutely zero "defects". If you look long and hard enough at any guitar, you will eventually find something "wrong" with it. The question will always be the same, though....is it enough to bother you so much that you regret your purchase.

For what it's worth....the issues you posted about would not be enough to deter me if I absolutely loved the guitar otherwise. But again, it's your money and only you can decide if it's something that will or won't bother you over time.
Go look at a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard....you will find many defects. Feel like PRS has so few. But I would agree with the above, though-most guitars will have some imperfection somewhere. I am OK with the natural flaws on brand new guitar. What bothers me are flaws that are done by dealers and their customers on brand new guitars.

Here is a photo

This guitar is on sale, around 4500$ and it's a 10 top 594.
Can you see the color spots in the curve? I'm pretty sure some will consider it as a tiny "defect". But will it make you skip this one? Is it unacceptable for you? Will it annoy you at some point in the future?

Share me your thought. Thanks.

Edit: Here is another photo
It looks like part of the inlay is the same color as the fretboard. When I first went to the shop it was less severe and I wonder if it might get worse and worse..
This photo was taken 2 weeks before

While some may find it ridiculous to not buy a guitar over that, I personally think any reason that bothers you to not buy a guitar is valid.

Looks like that inlay just has it's imperfections in a place you don't like. I mean I've not bought a guitar because I didn't like the top, and I've bought guitars that I didn't like the looks of but played freaking perfect. I don't see this as a defect at all, but if you do, and I can understand your point of view, just find another guitar or make an offer on that one that you feel good about paying. All they can say is no.

At $5k don't hold back anything, you wanna look at what you buy and feel like the guitar is perfect. You know what....I'm pretty sure you'll find that. Also just because a guitar is not on sale, doesn't mean it's not on sale. Send emails to dealers, phone calls, make your offers, maybe after making a few new friends that perfect guitar is on your stand or hanger.

If the OP buys the guitar, I'd recommend a pickup change, so their sonic memory cells aren't tainted and creating an opinion vs what could be better.
Same with those new wonder tuning buttons.

I now know why some guitars have mother of toilet seat.. leave the good stuff for people who appreciate natural beauty for what it is.

There's plenty of other guitars out there for you. Let this one go to home it'll be happy at. :)
Dunno why some comments are angry about me but I wasnt concerened if the inlay is beautiful or not, but if it's something that get worsen by time like mold or something I dont understand. I dont mind it really. I have more issues with that splash of color on the curve because its actually a mistake. And tbis ablam shell or whatever is beautiful af.

Last edited:
Here is a photo

Can you see the color spots in the curve? I'm pretty sure some will consider it as a tiny "defect". But will it make you skip this one? Is it unacceptable for you? Will it annoy you at some point in the future?

It looks like part of the inlay is the same color as the fretboard. When I first went to the shop it was less severe and I wonder if it might get worse and worse..
I don't see anything unusual in those pictures but they are not great photos so maybe I'm missing something , looks like the normal inlays. but if you notice it that's all that matters , don't buy it if its not for you.

If the OP buys the guitar, I'd recommend a pickup change, so their sonic memory cells aren't tainted and creating an opinion vs what could be better.
Same with those new wonder tuning buttons.
I dont get it, why? Maybe I dont understand the humor because of my english. But I'm not looking for a Gibson and I really liked the sound of the 58/15lts

EDIT: I dont wanna spam so I cant reply to everyone but thanks to all of you for answering me your thoughts 🙏

This was the only inlay that’s ever bothered me over all the years. That chunk of flat white on the wing was almost like another material got mixed in.

Here is a photo

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other fish in the sea...
Enjoy the hunt...

Looking at your comparison photos, now I see what you're concerned about. That would be much easier to assess in person, of course. Other than comparing with yet another photograph of the same bird, if it's enough of a concern, I'd say pass. It's your hard-earned money in the end. You deserve a guitar you'll be happy with.

However, I will say this. All PRS guitars are fabulous. But they don't all sound the same, and that bird won't contribute either way. I have a core 594 that is the very best-sounding 594 I've ever heard. Nothing special or 10-top about it. It sounds DIVINE. I've never really looked at the birds, for what it's worth. Dealer's choice, and no apologies needed. Good luck!

I'd elope to Vegas with that top 8 days a week!

Can I ask, what exactly is the issue in the original post? Is it something in the inlay? Is it broken/cracked, or is there just a strange color variation? Not trying to be unpleasant, I just am not seeing the problem.

Thank you all for your input. Really helpful.
One last thing.

Will you consider this a 10top?

Ive seen some tops like this one which is not considered a 10 top but this one is (and it much more expensive ofcourse).

Let me know what you think
10-top is just an aesthetic opinion - what the person at PRS who grades the wood decided it should be - that could be a 9.5 for example and not get a 10 in the top corner, or it may well be a 10 and therefore cost you a bit more. It doesn't make a difference to the playability or functionality at all. So you are paying 'more' for what someone has decided to be a 'prettier' or more 'consistent' flame across the top than another piece of maple - even from the 'same' tree.

If you like it, that's all that matters and if you find a guitar you like without a '10-top', you can save yourself a bit of money too.

10-top is just an aesthetic opinion - what the person at PRS who grades the wood decided it should be - that could be a 9.5 for example and not get a 10 in the top corner, or it may well be a 10 and therefore cost you a bit more. It doesn't make a difference to the playability or functionality at all. So you are paying 'more' for what someone has decided to be a 'prettier' or more 'consistent' flame across the top than another piece of maple - even from the 'same' tree.

If you like it, that's all that matters and if you find a guitar you like without a '10-top', you can save yourself a bit of money too.
Its a 10 top with a 10 stamp on the back and it costs way more than the others (with some non 10 tops looking the same or sometimes better)

I'd elope to Vegas with that top 8 days a week!

Can I ask, what exactly is the issue in the original post? Is it something in the inlay? Is it broken/cracked, or is there just a strange color variation? Not trying to be unpleasant, I just am not seeing the problem.
1st issue was a splash of paint on the curve of the body
2nd was regarding one inlay with a strange color variation, the same color as the fretboard. I thought it might be cracked or maybe a mold that will get worse with time but people relaxed me that its just a variation of that ablam shell.

Pretty simple really. PRS assigns the 10-top as a designator. They make tons of them a year. But ultimately you decide of all the 10-tops, is that the one you want or no?

If you love the guitar, ya buy it. And if it is not for you, you don’t.

There are soooo many PRS guitars out there these days, there isn’t really any need to compromise just to have one. Buy a guitar you fall in love with, and you’ll be happier in the long term. If you are nitpicking it to death, and you haven’t even bought it yet, that’s not a good start.

Keep your eyes peeled and you’ll find “the one”. :)

Pretty simple really. PRS assigns the 10-top as a designator. They make tons of them a year. But ultimately you decide of all the 10-tops, is that the one you want or no?

If you love the guitar, ya buy it. And if it is not for you, you don’t.

There are soooo many PRS guitars out there these days, there isn’t really any need to compromise just to have one. Buy a guitar you fall in love with, and you’ll be happier in the long term. If you are nitpicking it to death, and you haven’t even bought it yet, that’s not a good start.

Keep your eyes peeled and you’ll find “the one”. :)
I Agree man. Its just we have only one PRS dealer here and they have limited supply and a big discount (its still expensive af but still) on all core models which ends in 20 days or so.. this is why I'm impaitent. But its been 4 month since this guitar arrives and no one bought it even with the discout.
if time runs out, Ill think about what you said. 1 montj in and I still havent bought it.. defeintly not a good sign.

Its a 10 top with a 10 stamp on the back and it costs way more than the others (with some non 10 tops looking the same or sometimes better)

As I said, its an 'opinion' - what you may consider a 'better looking' top that isn't a 10-top for example may not be what the 'grader' considers to be a 10 top. Not one of my Cores are 10-tops and yet I consider many of my tops to be more aesthetically 'pleasing' to my eyes. I don't really like super 'even' flaming thats consistent across the whole body - It looks as if they could almost of been drawn on with a ruler and the same width Sharpie - I like more 'character', more 'natural' variation.

Therefore I too may see guitars that aren't 10-tops but for whatever reason, I actually prefer it to many 10-tops

yeGur6L.jpg

This guitar for example isn't a 10 top - maybe because the Flame isn't super consisten and/or even across the top, but with the growth rings and flame, I think it's far more 'interesting' and unique. You may think its one of the worst top you have seen and only a '7' at best - but that would be 'your' opinion, just like someone at PRS decided which pieces of maple were 10-tops and therefore we as Customers would pay a 'bit' more for.

Yeah, that side of the pond things are more difficult for sure. For my part, I live within driving distance of the factory, so there are just a LOT new and used locally. And then there are all the dealers across the country.

But if it really makes you excited you won’t be able to pay for it fast enough. Even if it costs more. Because it is “the one”. Everything else is a compromise for $$$ savings that could eventually evaporate if you are not thrilled in the end.

Back