Am I wrong for wanting to step down from a Core to an SE model?

I would never go backwards from a core to an SE. I have never owned an SE but I have worked on plenty of them. They are great guitars in that price point. They just can't stand up to a core IMHO. I have taken evey one of my core guitars out to gigs. I have taken other brands as well that are in the same price range. You can't be afraid to play the snot out of them or you are really not getting the enjoyment out of them that they are capable of providing. I take really good care of my guitars. They are the last thing to go on the stage and the first thing to come off. I have them all insured and my wife keeps an eye on them while I pack the rest of my things up.

If you are truly afraid to take it out and play it, sell it and buy the two SE guitars. I see no need to have something that you are afraid to use. I have seen this with PRS guitar owners many times. It is a big purchase for where they are financially in life so they are scared to get a scratch or ding in it. That is no way to live. You either have to get past that to really enjoy it or buy something you are more comfortable using. I started getting nervous about taking my expensive guitars out to gigs for the fear of theft. I got an insurance policy on them and haven't looked back.

Buy what ever guitar inspires you to pick it up. If damaging a core makes it less attractive to play, then that is not the right guitar in my view. It is that simple for me.

I have pretty guitars. They dont get played much. The less pretty ones get played alot. The core guitars are the pinnacle. But SE guitars are more than good enough for me.

If you’re too scared to play a core for worries about dinging it, the weather or thieves then sell it.

Me personally I could not move back down to an SE. I’ve had some of my cores for over 20 years now and I love every ding and scratch I have put into them. The cores have a mojo the SE’s just don’t have.

Guitarists are from one of two camps: those who enjoy playing guitars, and those who enjoy buying expensive guitars to show off.
There are also those who don't know what the f#ck they're talking about, as evidenced by the above statement.

I don't much care what the OP does, it's his life. but that statement is unadulterated bullsh!t.

There are legions of pros who play the best instruments they can buy, guitars that cost plenty. They play them in studios, and they play them in shows all over the world.

I'm one of the ones who plays mine in sessions for ad and TV work. I've been playing Core PRS since 1991 because they have the tone that's my voice. And I enjoy my work. My broadcast royalties pay for my gear, and my creative and session fees pay for my overall expenses. Get a clue. We don't buy guitars to show the guitars off, we buy 'em to show off our playing and writing.

There are also plenty of amateur and semi pro musicians who buy their expensive guitars because they love playing them.

If someone's afraid to take their guitar out the door, I think that's a bit odd, but that's not my business.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about selling my Core DGT and using the fund's to buy both a Goldtop & Tobacco burst SE DGT.

I've been on the fence over this idea for the past two weeks. A Core DGT was on my 2023 goals list, to the point I was trolling Reverb everyday until one popped up.
Now that the honeymoon phase is over, I'm sitting here thinking, I really love the guitar, but at the same time I'm meh about it. Mainly b/c I know for how much I paid for this guitar I'm never going to take it out of my guitar room to jam with, with other people b/c of the fear of messing it up, or it getting stolen.
Yet, I'm not stressed about that thought if I was to purchase an SE model, b/c I look at that line as a player's guitar, and regardless if it has some battle scars it will retain its value, whereas my Core model instantly lost value after I changed the factory strings lol j/k.
I've also owned a SE DGT alongside my Core.
model and I know what the SE model is capable of. I also have a stash of Core parts lying around, so that's a plus as well.

Sorry if this is a redundant rant to some of you, I just wanted to post what I'm, and see if some of you all have felt this way, in the past, can offer some words of wisdom. Thanks.

It sounds like there are a few things behind this question:

The core guitar is on this pedestal. It’s too nice / perfect to play for fear it will get dinged up and lose some of its value. Another concern is it may get stolen.

You’ve played SEs that were really good. You don’t have the same concerns with SEs as the cores. This has you wondering if you should sell your core and just play SEs.

Here’s my .02 fwiw:

All guitars deserve to be played. They should be played and bring you joy. If you’re reluctant to play a guitar for fear of it being damaged cosmetically and or losing its value then maybe that’s something you can work on? If not or if there’s a financial concern then maybe you should sell the guitar and play something that you enjoy and that you don’t worry as much about?

Life is too short / precious not to play!

Sometimes when I play my SE DGT I think “that’s all the guitar I really need”! But I want to play my core DGTs and Studio. I appreciate them and am drawn to them.

I’m not a professional musician. I play a lot at home and take all my guitars to friends houses to play. I occasionally play open mics with an acoustic guitar. I’m going to start playing electric guitar at open mics. When I do I’ll probably start using my SE DGT first. It sounds and plays as good as my other guitars and I don’t worry about it as much. I would also bring my core guitars. I would watch them more closely and be a little more careful with them.

Last edited:
Find and play an SE version first to see if you even like the feel/sound. Without that, it seems like even more hypotheticals thrown onto this dilemma.

But I second the prevailing sentiment here - don’t make the DGT “the one that got away.” Save up for a used SE (if you like the feel/sound, of course)

There are also those who don't know what the f#ck they're talking about, as evidenced by the above statement.

I don't much care what the OP does, it's his life. but that statement is unadulterated bullsh!t.

There are legions of pros who play the best instruments they can buy, guitars that cost plenty. They play them in studios, and they play them in shows all over the world.

I'm one of the ones who plays mine in sessions for ad and TV work. I've been playing Core PRS since 1991 because they have the tone that's my voice. And I enjoy my work. My broadcast royalties pay for my gear, and my creative and session fees pay for my overall expenses. Get a clue. We don't buy guitars to show the guitars off, we buy 'em to show off our playing and writing.

There are also plenty of amateur and semi pro musicians who buy their expensive guitars because they love playing them.

If someone's afraid to take their guitar out the door, I think that's a bit odd, but that's not my business.
If you NEED a Core model... if you aren't able to do your "job" with an SE version... you aren't a very good musician.

Ironic that you got so bent out of shape by my comments, yet you (and several others) are basically telling the OP that he's an idiot.

I think about all the great blues players who played cardboard guitars with broken, rusty strings and then flash forward to today, when some schmuck "needs" a 4K guitar to express himself. Talk about First World problems...

If you NEED a Core model... if you aren't able to do your "job" with an SE version... you aren't a very good musician.

Ironic that you got so bent out of shape by my comments, yet you (and several others) are basically telling the OP that he's an idiot.

I think about all the great blues players who played cardboard guitars with broken, rusty strings and then flash forward to today, when some schmuck "needs" a 4K guitar to express himself. Talk about First World problems...
Who said need? Yes, the core is a better instrument, but that doesn't mean you can't get the job done and done well with a se, or say anything about what some guy did in the delta a hundred years ago. I read through this thread that a core should be played like any other guitar. If you have it, enjoy it, you live once.

Thankful for first world problems!

I think you’re misinterpreting the comment. Of course an SE will do the job. I believe we should have whatever guitars float our boat. If you have an expensive guitar, play it out. Not because it’s expensive, but so you can enjoy it more. If you can’t do that why have it? I’ll be playing an SE roasted maple 24 tomorrow, but not because it’s cheaper and I won’t worry about it. I’m playing it because I want to hear the sounds it makes at gig volume in front of an audience. My main guitar is my core triple soapy. Once again, because I like to hear the sounds it makes. No need to get sensitive about what line it is, most of us know they’re all great.

The only thing I wouldn't do is buy two of the same guitar. Because inevitably you'll sell one. Go with tobacco burst. The SE DGT is no slouch. If you can swing it, buy an SE, live with it for a bit and see if selling your core is the right thing to do.

I know the feeling of putting an expensive guitar on a pedestal, both in terms of not playing it enough and also having very high expectations .If that is the main reason for considering selling the core, I would recommend giving it a bit more time.

In my opinion, SEs are amazing and very functional instruments. I have ten of them and there is no doubt that if one SE was all I could afford, in a purely black and white way, it would not stop me from playing music.

However life is not all black and white , especially when it comes into instruments. Without falling into the fetishisation trap which is on the other end of the spectrum (and I dare say affects people who praise very specific variations of copies of sunburst Les Pauls), there is nothing quite like a quality instrument to bring out the last percent in your playing or music, or most importantly bring a smile to your face .

PRS Core guitars in my opinion (you don’t need to go to Private Stock though those are even nicer though definitely not proportional economically) are the epitome of high quality instruments , excelling both in form and function that is rare across categories.

For me, a core PRS is perfection and playing it just feels right. SEs feel good enough but why play good enough when one can play the best (assuming it’s within one’s means )

You aren't objectively "wrong", but in a way you're admitting a kind of defeat.

If you are concerned about damaging the finish in any way, don't be. PRSH has said that if a guitar gets a scratch here and and dent there it's okay; those scars become "a part of that guitar's story". And if you're concerned about theft, you're letting thieves terrorize you into settling for something less.

Don't get me wrong; the SEs are great guitars for what they are, and as someone who has recently become PRS-less I can't say I haven't thought of giving in to the temptation of getting an SE CU24 and making getting a core model a goal for some future date. But it would still feel like it was a significant downgrade from the "real thing", and I'd always be longing for something better.

Back