Am I wrong for wanting to step down from a Core to an SE model?

Jbyrd78

I'm thinking about selling my Core DGT and using the fund's to buy both a Goldtop & Tobacco burst SE DGT.

I've been on the fence over this idea for the past two weeks. A Core DGT was on my 2023 goals list, to the point I was trolling Reverb everyday until one popped up.
Now that the honeymoon phase is over, I'm sitting here thinking, I really love the guitar, but at the same time I'm meh about it. Mainly b/c I know for how much I paid for this guitar I'm never going to take it out of my guitar room to jam with, with other people b/c of the fear of messing it up, or it getting stolen.
Yet, I'm not stressed about that thought if I was to purchase an SE model, b/c I look at that line as a player's guitar, and regardless if it has some battle scars it will retain its value, whereas my Core model instantly lost value after I changed the factory strings lol j/k.
I've also owned a SE DGT alongside my Core.
model and I know what the SE model is capable of. I also have a stash of Core parts lying around, so that's a plus as well.

Sorry if this is a redundant rant to some of you, I just wanted to post what I'm, and see if some of you all have felt this way, in the past, can offer some words of wisdom. Thanks.

That's crazy talk to me, but do what makes you happy. I don't treat my cores any different than any other guitar. Oh wait, I do.. I play the hell out of them while the others get jealous collecting dust.

Battle scared se don't hold values either, but we're talking one less zero. Many PRS buyers aren't interested in players grade and relic is practically a dirty word. Sometimes it seems se customers can be even more critical than core customers.

Last edited:
I completely understand where you're coming from, so I don't at all think you're crazy!

An SE is a tool- it's meant to be played, to be used. I'd play it anywhere, and if it gets stolen or damaged, so be it. With a Core model, I'm always going to worry about where am I playing it?... what kind of weather conditions am I playing it in?... am I worried it may be stolen?

Guitarists are from one of two camps: those who enjoy playing guitars, and those who enjoy buying expensive guitars to show off. It sounds like you are a guitar player. ;)

I completely understand where you're coming from, so I don't at all think you're crazy!

An SE is a tool- it's meant to be played, to be used. I'd play it anywhere, and if it gets stolen or damaged, so be it. With a Core model, I'm always going to worry about where am I playing it?... what kind of weather conditions am I playing it in?... am I worried it may be stolen?

Guitarists are from one of two camps: those who enjoy playing guitars, and those who enjoy buying expensive guitars to show off. It sounds like you are a guitar player. ;)

To be fair there are plenty of us who take our cores and other expensive out guitars out to gigs and play the crap out of them without fear ;) besides, how am I gonna show it off if its locked away in a case not being played ;)

To be fair there are plenty of us who take our cores and other expensive out guitars out to gigs and play the crap out of them without fear ;) besides, how am I gonna show it off if its locked away in a case not being played ;)
You must live in a place with better weather, better dive bars, and fewer guitar thieves than I do! :)

I'm in this camp, too.

Sign me up too. However, not without throwing out these thoughts first.

One, I'll never understand buying ANY guitar you don't intend to play the crap out of. If I wanted my money spent on stuff I was never going to use, I'd just give it to my wife. ;)

Two, at the end of the day, it's your jam. Play what you like, when you like, where you like, at the price point you like and remember, everybody else's opinion doesn't mean sh*t (even though I just gave you mine).

I only have one “core” (silver sky) PRS left. The rest I sold and got a couple SEs and some other gear. I was in the same boat as you about my fancy guitars. Never took them out of the house because I had others that I’d rather risk. SEs are great with a setup and can be almost as good as core with some upgrades. YMMV, of course but I have no regrets.

What you need to do is buy a Core that’s been used (but not abused). I’ve found that takes all the fear out 1) putting that first nick in a beautiful new guitar; and 2) worrying about the depreciation. This past year I sold an incredible looking recent year Custom, and replaced it with a 2006. I play that thing all the time with zero stress, and modded it to my needs (which I would never have done with the newer one).

You have answered your own question by even posting this. You have stated you already have owned an SE DGT and know how good they are. That is WHY you are posting this. This whole core vrs SE thing is simply a personal choice. Blind tests on Youtube have shown that without the visual of actually knowing what you are playing, the testers found it very hard to tell the difference and sometimes got it completely wrong. Usually it was styling clues that let them guess the core models in a definitive way.
There are undoubtedly many members that have done well in life and can afford any guitar or guitars they could ever want. Sounds to me like if you had another SE DGT you would play it more, and that means you would have more fun and enjoyment. I have cars in my shed that I never drive, not worth the worry of doing so. Then I have cars I drive all the time. If something happens to them I will just buy another one ( or several if I what)
Buy another SE DGT. Check that you still love it and want to pick it up and play it. If so go to plan B. Do you want to keep the Core or not. Sell it if you want, you can ALWAYS buy another some time. Anyway take care in 2024 and have fun. ...........Regards Steve

Back