Roast me all you want but I'll say it: SE is better than S2.

The Hammer Of The Gods is my personal favorite.
Screenshot-2024-03-10-at-10-34-10-AM.png

The SEs are great guitars for what they are, but they are IMO just a toe-dip into the PRS experience. You get the bird inlays, the shape of the body and the feel of the scale length, but you don't the same construction of the body (a much thinner maple top on the Customs and the figuring is a veneer), the carve of the top is barely there, the neck carve is slightly thinner than the Pattern types found on the US models, and though the components (hardware and pickups) are the same specs as the US models, they are made with different materials.

Personally, I wouldn't get one, simply because I had one of the original SE Standard 24s (before they had Mr. Reed Smith's signature on the headstock). It was a great guitar and it converted me from being a pretty through and through Les Paul guy to a PRS fanboy (a slight exaggeration, but whatever). I took the plunge into a US-made Standard from the early 90s and I was pretty blown away, even though the neck took a little getting used to and the 5-way rotary is a better idea on paper than in practice. Unfortunately, times have gotten tough and 20 years of standing in mostly one place on hard floors for 7-8 hours 5 days a week has been catching up with me; having a guitar that's close to 9 lbs as a main instrument isn't conducive to that. So I had to move on from it. For me to get what is in my mind a downgrade would be like saying I'm not worthy of the "real thing". I don't care if they're inspected and set up by the same people as the Core line; even if the QC is there the setup can be undone in shipping to the vendor.

The problem I have with the "tweener" lines that popped up between the SE and Core lines in the mid 2010s is that it's a clear case of gatekeeping. The S2s have the same neck carve and are set in like on the Core models and made in the same factory, but the components are the imported parts used on the SE line and the top is a far more basic asymmetrical bevel (which I personally don't care for, but that's neither here nor there). You don't get 5-way switching either; you get 3-way switching with a push-pull coil split on the tone control. The Bolt-On line for the most part is its own thing, save for the CE24, which is a more basic model than the original guitar that it's named for. Yes, bird inlays come standard, something the original didn't usually have, but the top carve is far less pronounced because it has a thinner maple top. No 5-way switching like original, either. Originally they came with import hardware as well, but I think that's been changed. In order to get a "real" PRS the way they were originally made, violin carve, set neck, 5-way switching, bird inlays (which were made more complex to further demarcate between the Cores and the "lower" lines) requires one to pony up the cash for a Core. And apparently that has to be a privilege reserved for those well-off enough to pay thousands of dollars in cash for a single instrument or are financially stable enough to afford adding monthly payments for a guitar to their list of bills.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the instrument Mr. Reed Smith has created and I think he's entertaining to watch speak in interviews and such. But as an egalitarian, his insistence that his guitars not just be the best instruments ever but also an object of prestige, a sign that one has "made it", either in music or elsewhere, or at least has the means to discipline themselves to make the needed sacrifices to afford even just one, rubs me the wrong way.

The SEs are great guitars for what they are, but they are IMO just a toe-dip into the PRS experience. You get the bird inlays, the shape of the body and the feel of the scale length, but you don't the same construction of the body (a much thinner maple top on the Customs and the figuring is a veneer), the carve of the top is barely there, the neck carve is slightly thinner than the Pattern types found on the US models, and though the components (hardware and pickups) are the same specs as the US models, they are made with different materials.

Personally, I wouldn't get one, simply because I had one of the original SE Standard 24s (before they had Mr. Reed Smith's signature on the headstock). It was a great guitar and it converted me from being a pretty through and through Les Paul guy to a PRS fanboy (a slight exaggeration, but whatever). I took the plunge into a US-made Standard from the early 90s and I was pretty blown away, even though the neck took a little getting used to and the 5-way rotary is a better idea on paper than in practice. Unfortunately, times have gotten tough and 20 years of standing in mostly one place on hard floors for 7-8 hours 5 days a week has been catching up with me; having a guitar that's close to 9 lbs as a main instrument isn't conducive to that. So I had to move on from it. For me to get what is in my mind a downgrade would be like saying I'm not worthy of the "real thing". I don't care if they're inspected and set up by the same people as the Core line; even if the QC is there the setup can be undone in shipping to the vendor.

The problem I have with the "tweener" lines that popped up between the SE and Core lines in the mid 2010s is that it's a clear case of gatekeeping. The S2s have the same neck carve and are set in like on the Core models and made in the same factory, but the components are the imported parts used on the SE line and the top is a far more basic asymmetrical bevel (which I personally don't care for, but that's neither here nor there). You don't get 5-way switching either; you get 3-way switching with a push-pull coil split on the tone control. The Bolt-On line for the most part is its own thing, save for the CE24, which is a more basic model than the original guitar that it's named for. Yes, bird inlays come standard, something the original didn't usually have, but the top carve is far less pronounced because it has a thinner maple top. No 5-way switching like original, either. Originally they came with import hardware as well, but I think that's been changed. In order to get a "real" PRS the way they were originally made, violin carve, set neck, 5-way switching, bird inlays (which were made more complex to further demarcate between the Cores and the "lower" lines) requires one to pony up the cash for a Core. And apparently that has to be a privilege reserved for those well-off enough to pay thousands of dollars in cash for a single instrument or are financially stable enough to afford adding monthly payments for a guitar to their list of bills.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the instrument Mr. Reed Smith has created and I think he's entertaining to watch speak in interviews and such. But as an egalitarian, his insistence that his guitars not just be the best instruments ever but also an object of prestige, a sign that one has "made it", either in music or elsewhere, or at least has the means to discipline themselves to make the needed sacrifices to afford even just one, rubs me the wrong way.
So do you even own a PRS guitar? Some of what you say may have been true once, however not any more in my opinion. Nevertheless I respect your opinion..............................regards to you.

Taking a product-line design that is intended to get a consumer to spend a bit more to move up the line personally is a mistake. Same with basing your self-worth on what kind of guitar you own.

The SEs are great guitars for what they are, but they are IMO just a toe-dip into the PRS experience.
I might be inclined to agree with this, if I didn't already see so many people (professional musicians, youtubers, reviewers, etc) preferring the Silver Sky SE over the main Core line.

It's kinda like the Mexico Fender line vs the American line.

I'm not sure which is better. I've only played SEs in the store. I've played a bunch trying to find one I liked. The only one that I liked and thought "I should buy one!" was the Silver Sky..... until I played a US model side by side and really felt like it was worth the extra money (used anyway). The SEs don't feel awesome to me and I find the tone a little muddy. I probably haven't played enough SEs to be fair.

The exception I find is the DGT. I played one side by side with mine, and it was pretty impressive.

I got a reward from work that ended up as a gift card to Guitar Center..... I bought a S2 Standard 24 Satin. It feels great, plays great, but the tone is a bit muddy and boomy. I'm hoping it's the electronics, but have been waffling on what to do about it, so it's been on the back burner since last summer.

As far as QC, any can have an issue. My DGT had a tuning stability issue when strong vibrato or strong trem use was applied. PRS took care of it though.... replaced the nut and trem and it's great now..... the S2 I have does great with this.
Try dropping the pickups and raising the polepieces. Worked for a friend of mine. The big thing about the SE Silver Sky’s to me is that they sound different than the Core. I wonder how the frets will hold up over time. My SE SAS needs some fretwork already. We’ve got sprouts, and they’re not the bean kind.

Last edited:
Try dropping the pickups and raising the polepieces. Worked for a friend of mine. The big thing about the SE Silver Sky’s to me is that they sound different than the Core. I wonder how the frets will hold up over time. My SE SAS needs some fretwork already. We’ve got sprouts, and they’re not the bean kind.
Really? mine is perfect. That is a climate thing and depends on where you live and temperature and humidity changes, as I am sure you know.

Taking a product-line design that is intended to get a consumer to spend a bit more to move up the line personally is a mistake. Same with basing your self-worth on what kind of guitar you own.
Perhaps, but how good would one generally feel about buying a Volkswagen if they've owned an Audi?

Perhaps, but how good would one generally feel about buying a Volkswagen if they've owned an Audi?

I suppose that has a lot to do with how they see themselves. Me? I’m me. I choose to drive a Chrysler minivan—that’s my dream car. I’ve got a bunch of guitars that are really nice, but I’d be the same crappy guitarist if all I had was my used Yamaha. None of that stuff defines me, either to myself or the people who matter in my life.

My wife loves me for me. She dated me when I drove a minivan, and shared the joy and convenience it has to offer. She puts up with my exorbitant guitar spending (relative to my skills), because she sees the joy it brings me.

My three year-old doesn’t care about any of it—he just wants me to be his fun dad who makes him laugh, goes on zany adventures, and kisses him goodnight.

My buddies? They’ve known me since grade-school. They know all my secrets, shames, and failures. They still hang out with me anyway.

Does it matter what kind of guitar a person has owned, compared to what they might own in the future? Not one bit. What matters is that they enjoy today. Nothing else exists.

Last edited:
I suppose that has a lot to do with how they see themselves. Me? I’m me. I choose to drive a Chrysler minivan—that’s my dream car. I’ve got a bunch of guitars that are really nice, but I’d be the same crappy guitarist if all I has was my used Yamaha. None of that stuff defines me, either to myself or the people who matter in my life.

My wife loves me for me. She dated me when I drove a minivan, and shared the joy and convenience it has to offer. She puts up with my exorbitant guitar spending (relative to my skills), because she sees the joy it brings me.

My three year-old doesn’t care about any of it—he just wants me to be his fun dad who makes him laugh, goes on zany adventures, and kisses him goodnight.

My buddies? They’ve known me since grade-school. They know all my secrets, shames, and failures. They still hang out with me anyway.

Does it matter what kind of guitar a person has owned, compared to what they might own in the future? Not one bit. What matters is that they enjoy today. Nothing else exists.
All I know is that I bought a Gretsch for $899, put a few hundreds into it and got offered double and a half by someone. My Gretsch is made was made in China, it's now better than alot of American and alot of Japanese guitars. Some Squiers out there tell the same tale, even some "made in Mexico" Fenders. We get all kinds of "Sleepers" through the shop here, guitars made cheap that are modified or restored and rise through the ashes.

Point is, you can't really make a top of the line better but you can make something cheap better and can even surpass the top of the line. I'm a fan of 70's muscle cars but that doesn't mean this new Gen Z AAA Battery powered plastic Tesla won't smoke any mint 70's muscle car or even multi-million dollar Lambos and Bugattis. Because it's a no brainer, the Tesla that costs $60,000 will win a drag race or drifting every time.

Quite the thing to think about.

Anyways, I got some high end guitars and low end guitars but EVERY one of them has been modified in some way. And that would make any hard-core high end guitar enthusiasts not even be able to tell if it's low end or or what have you. They'll just walk away stumped and admitting that the guitar feels and plays great 😀

Last edited:
Pretty damn good, especially if that Volkswagon was the original Herbie making it worth more than any Audi ;)

RIP Lindsay Lohan ❤

A used S2 with a possible bridge pup swap is one of the best deals on the planet lol...I currently have 5 S2s all grabbed for under a grand and my favorite was purchased for under 700...a standard 22 under 7lbs with SD pups..
I still smile everytime I grab it!!

A used S2 with a possible bridge pup swap is one of the best deals on the planet lol...I currently have 5 S2s all grabbed for under a grand and my favorite was purchased for under 700...a standard 22 under 7lbs with SD pups..
I still smile everytime I grab it!!
Exactly what I did (except I swapped both pickups & swapped the metal tuning buttons for ebony). Excellent deal.

Did this. Not didn't really change the boominess, slightly less muddy. I've been working and waffling on a path forward..... sell and buy a CE, or get radical and go hss on it.

Plays great, stays in tune, feels great, looks stripped down and cool.... just doesn't sound great.

It's kinda weird, I feel the opposite about PRS. I feel like Paul gives a great guitar at all the price points. I feel like in general, you are going to get a well built guitar and they are always improving their product. I really like what they've been doing lately with the LT pickups. I don't feel like some of the legacy guitar makers don't really give their customer as much.

As far as the expensive core models, they are priced similarly to the high end custom shop stuff to which they are really competition to.

Back