Roast me all you want but I'll say it: SE is better than S2.

Seems to me there are more complaints about QC with SE’s than S2, but that’s by no means definitive.

Personally, I think the drying and prep of the wood on S2 is probably better, and the finish is thinner and less damping of the tone than the poly on SE’s. And those are two things that you can’t easily change after buying the guitar. That said, my Korean SE’s have taken a beating at gigs with hardly any damage to show for it, the S2 finishes have all been more fragile than SE or Core. So there’s a place for both.

I do like the carve on the new SE’s more than the S2 bevel, if I had to choose. But, I don’t really care that much.

I’d like to bring an SE 594 home and see how it compares to my S2 and Core. Totally don’t need it, but y’all can contribute to my GoFundMe campaign - remember, it’s for scientific research!!!

All that said, there is proof of an S2 that no SE will ever rival - it’s the black sheep of the S2 line, the satin standard. Throw the bling aside, it’s the one guitar of my nice handful of SE’s and S2’s that can challenge the tone of a Core.

Last edited:
I have 2 PRSs. An SE Hollowbody II Piezo, and an S2 Vela semi hollow satin. I love both but if I something crazy happened and I could only save one... It would be the Vela. Mostly because it fits in the mix with other musicians so well, ALWAYS.

And my SE plays freaking smooth and is really really good looking. The flame is 10 top quality.

y’all can contribute to my GoFundMe campaign - remember, it’s for scientific research!!!

it’s the black sheep of the S2 line, the satin standard. Throw the bling aside, it’s the one guitar of my nice handful of SE’s and S2’s that can challenge the tone of a Core.

Get off my stage! I can't have people donating to your campaign. The Holiday season is mine! You can launch 2024...Make that '25. I may need additional research subjects. :)

I say it all the time, if I was to do my PRS journey over again I'd start with a standard, almost surely the s2 satin I passed on for a steal. I looked the other way for lack of bling. Silly me.

S2 Vela semi hollow satin. I love both but if I something crazy happened and I could only save one... It would be the Vela.
Vela!!! I have to agree, such a fantastic guitar that has its own spot in the arsenal that none can fill. I was blown away when I picked up my satin SH Vela. I couldn't put it down for a month+.

Last edited:
With all these things being subjective, may I just say that to me, the S2 line is my preference of the 2 lines. I own 2 of each. The McCarty 594 Thinline S2 is one of the best guitars I’ve owned in 50 years of playing. It’s the reason I could sell off my Gibsons, they didn’t compare. My S2 Standard 24 Satin , is my go to guitar. The feel the construction,the finish ,just perfect on this one. My SE’s are new ,within the last month. Se Custom 22 Semihollow is an awesome guitar and compared to other companies overseas counterparts are stellar. Also responsible for me selling off a few other semi hollow body guitars. Love playing it. The newest SE in my small collection is the SE Swamp Ash Special,which I’m slowly getting to know a bit better and truly enjoy noodling around with. The S2’s ,to me are great USA made nitro finish, better woods, with better feeling necks ,to me. The SE’s are pretty, in most cases great guitars, that with a few mods are fantastic, but in my humble opinion not as good as my S2’s.
im also one of the only players out here who would be able to say that I like my S2’s more than the cores I’ve been able. To play, but I havnt Been able to try many cores as there is no dealer in my area and they are above my price range . I can tell you all I am a proud owner of 4 wonderful PRS guitars ,and they get played a lot more than my others. Enjoy.

That's why I try to steer the conversation more towards the areas where we CAN discuss a level of objectivity ie. fretends, fretboard roughness, tuning stability, paintwork/finish-work, etc. This is where I found that the SE's actually were better than the S2. I also thought they sounded better but, as mentioned, thats a subjective issue. Certainly in these aspects, there IS such thing as better. Not just different. I've never met a single guitarist that prefers rough fretends for instance.
An objective statement would be that you find the fret ends and fretboards on SEs you've examined more precisely finished than those on S2s you've examined.

The statement that SEs are better? As soon as you make a value judgment about it, you've gone subjective. You may be a scientist, but you fell asleep in Philosophy 101. ;)

It may be important to you that a guitar's fit and finish details must be perfect. But that's a question of what you personally value most. That's your opinion, hence, it's subjective. I think fret ends and the like are minor issues. Fret ends can be dressed and polished. Fretboards can be dealt with easily enough. But you can't go back and fix the woods the guitar is made of.

Your OP is also much broader. It mentions sound and playability, the two criteria that are most important - to me.

Sure, fret ends that are dressed and polished are better fret ends (or maybe just evidence that one person on the line did a better job). But that doesn't make the SE a better guitar, because it doesn't take into account the other aspects of the instrument, aspects that others like me might value more. You're seeing the trees, and not the forest (forgive the wood analogy!).

What's most amusing regarding the fret end stuff you mention is that the Private Stock acoustic I ordered back in 2013 - the guitar that made me stop shopping for acoustics because it sounds magnificent - had to go back to PRS to have the fret ends dressed, having arrived here after several 100 degree days on UPS trucks. PRS took care of it immediately, and I got it back a few days later in perfect shape.

I didn't find this frustrating. Stuff like this happens. What would have been frustrating would have been if it didn't sound the business.

Nor would this cause me to say that SE acoustics are better guitars than this PS - though you might. That would be ridiculous given my criteria, especially under the circumstances. Just my subjective opinion.

We see plenty of fit and finish complaints here on the forum about SEs. We see complaints about everything else, too, regarding all models. Your sample size is simply too small to make such a sweeping statement.

Last edited:
Your OP is much broader. It mentions sound and playability, the two criteria that are most important - to me.

Fret ends and the like are minor issues. Fret ends can be dressed and polished. Fretboards can be dealt with easily enough.

It may be important to you that a guitar's fit and finish details must be perfect. But that's a question of what you personally value most. That's your opinion, hence, it's subjective.

So yes, fret ends that are dressed and polished are better fret ends. But that doesn't make the SE a better guitar, because it doesn't take into account the other aspects of the instrument, aspects that others like me might value more. You're seeing the trees, and not the forest (forgive the wood analogy!).

What's most amusing regarding the fret end stuff you mention is that the Private Stock acoustic I ordered back in 2013 - the guitar that made me stop shopping for acoustics because it sounds so wonderful - had to go back to PRS to have the fret ends dressed, having arrived here after several 100 degree days on UPS trucks. PRS took care of it immediately, and I got it back a few days later in perfect shape.

I didn't find this frustrating. Stuff like this happens. What would have been frustrating would have been if it didn't sound the business.

Nor would this cause me to say that SE acoustics are better guitars than this PS - though you might. That would be ridiculous, especially under the circumstances. Just my subjective opinion.

We see plenty of fit and finish complaints here on the forum about SEs. We see complaints about everything else, too, regarding all models. Your sample size is simply too small to make such a sweeping statement.
Yes quality control and fit and finish are not the only things that make a guitar great but they are one of the only things are aren't subjective like you said. One of my points also was that I actually like the sound of one of my SEs more than my core. And I like the feel of one of my SEs more than even my Private Stock, so even if we were to include tone and playability, there still a conversation to be had there.

4Y1Hyio.jpg

And I like the feel of one of my SEs more than even my Private Stock, so even if we were to include tone and playability, there still a conversation to be had there.
Would that make you say that your SEs are better guitars than your PS models?

Or do you make the distinction that one of your SEs feels better than your PS models, but isn't necessarily a 'better' guitar?

I mean, I'll go out and buy you an SE for you, just send me your PS in trade, and you'll be all set! :)

Well, being that I just made an impulse buy of a 2020 S2 Custom 22, this thread kinda dampens my enthusiasm.
I’m now at year 5 with 4 SE’s and 3 S2’s. The SE’s have needed fretwork, the S2’s have not. The S2’s are becoming increasingly more resonant, while the SE’s are basically the same vibrating frequency. Based on my personal gig use, I believe the S2’s are better in terms of the fretwork and wood. I love them all. My core are next level.

Or do you make the distinction that one of your SEs feels better than your PS models, but isn't necessarily a 'better' guitar?

I mean, I'll go out and buy you an SE for you, just send me your PS in trade, and you'll be all set! :)
Nope because the PS is better by miles in terms of build quality. Which is entirely my point. The S2 build quality was so underwhelming, even the SE's were superior.

You know, I'd actually be interested in seeing a 10-top or artist top on an S2 body. I wonder if that would change my aesthetic preference. Since the SE all come with pretty nice veneers, that might be whats swaying me in terms of looks.

I have an SE 245 and a Core Santana. There are subtleties with the Santana, which are relative to your wants and desires.

I have discovered some great core guitars that dont cost an arm and a kidney.
Mira (older ones) CE( found a couple at 1500 or so). I just cant justify 4k for a guitar. Any guitar.
So I am on the hunt for guitars in my cap range. No more than 1500 for any single guitar. I have way more money in my guitar collection but I am the kind of person that would look at a 4k guitar and angrily think " You know how many great guitars I could of had for the price of that (admittedly) awesome guitar?"
Its just me.
So yes my SE guitars are REALLY good. And it has to be something I cant get as an SE like a Vela to step up to S2.
I actually think CE line might be the real sweet spot.

How about sound quality? You already said the SE beats it in playability.
You know I'm actually not sure. The 59/09s in my PS are certainly different, darker, moodier, heavier sound that the 85/15S in my SE Cu24 for instance. I think if what I'm playing calls for that, its better. But if playing higher up on the fretboard, I think 85/15 might be my preference.

To clarify, I'm not definitively saying the SE beats the PS in playability. I think thats probably a reach. I did say that I prefer the neck on the SE. But the neck is a vital part of what I think is 'playability'. So maybe, but I'm not sure. I certainly know which guitar I LIKE more, but I won't let that cloud my judgment on what I think of the tangible characteristics of each guitar.

You know I'm actually not sure. The 59/09s in my PS are certainly different, darker, moodier, heavier sound that the 85/15S in my SE Cu24 for instance. I think if what I'm playing calls for that, its better. But if playing higher up on the fretboard, I think 85/15 might be my preference.

To clarify, I'm not definitively saying the SE beats the PS in playability. I think thats probably a reach. I did say that I prefer the neck on the SE. But the neck is a vital part of what I think is 'playability'. So maybe, but I'm not sure. I certainly know which guitar I LIKE more, but I won't let that cloud my judgment on what I think of the tangible characteristics of each guitar.
I'm never going to suggest that anyone else should share my priorities. I merely point out that we all have different, unique perspectives.

My experience with this stuff is in the context of my work. I've been at this a long time. The work taught me there are different varieties of 'good', all of which have their uses. After many years I've found a few instruments I can't live without. But my criteria for desirability are different.

If an instrument is highly useful in a given context, it's a great instrument, and beyond that I really don't feel the need to create a pecking order.

On the other hand, sometimes an instrument I might not be interested in at all is the order of the day.

If I get hired to do something with the vibe of the Byrds or Tom Petty - as has happened a few times - I go out and buy another Rick 12 so I can make the client happy (and it's always fun to shop for an instrument!), even though I'm not personally a Rick fan. After the gig, I've sold them, though a few I've hung onto for a couple of years just because.

The Rick is the right choice for that kind of project. Maybe I could say it's 'better for that purpose'. But you see where I'm headed with this: 'Better' is context-dependent.

By the same token, if someone hired me to sound like Hendrix, I guess I'd have to get a Strat - and I really dislike playing Strats. Never mind that I'd also need some 'how to play like Jimi' lessons, and a lot of practice time! But for that purpose, a Strat is a better choice than my current guitars. Fortunately, my 20 something clients don't ever ask for Hendrix. It's possible they don't know who he was.

Nonetheless, when I get to decide for myself and for my original score what I'm going to sound like, and play like, I'm going with one of my carefully chosen PRS'. I spent oodles of time to wind up with these instruments, and each one does something different and special for me. I'll decide which to play based on the sound I want to hear. That's my priority, and it's why tone is my most important criteria.

I have Jack Gretz send me clips of guitars I'm interested in before I buy, played through amps like my amps. I need to hear what they sound like. He's happy to make that happen. For whatever reason, I don't ask him to tell me which guitar has the best fit and finish. It's nice when it happens that the guitar I want is also perfect. But it's not the sine qua non of my choice.

No way man...heck I'll buy him two! Lol

As for me I have a strong distaste for the modern SE. I've already bought a few and learned. I do love the older ones though from 00s and early 10s. I have SE singlecut from 02 that is excellent, especially after adding a core nut and the PRS SE locking tuner upgrade. Of course I have swapped out electronics as well. Great guitar...not my core though due to resonance. Playability it absolutely nails.

Back