Roast me all you want but I'll say it: SE is better than S2.

No way man...heck I'll buy him two! Lol

As for me I have a strong distaste for the modern SE. I've already bought a few and learned. I do love the older ones though from 00s and early 10s. I have SE singlecut from 02 that is excellent, especially after adding a core nut and the PRS SE locking tuner upgrade. Of course I have swapped out electronics as well. Great guitar...not my core though due to resonance. Playability it absolutely nails.
The Korean ones were better IMO...

I hope they don’t. It’s really for the best that kids are allowed to move on from old people’s culture. Mine included.
I get where you're coming from - the point of view that each generation shouldn't be chained to the previous ones. I agree with that. But I have to mildly disagree with what you said about moving on, Serg.

I was going to launch into a post about music being taught and passed from generation to generation that each succeeding generation builds on, and then modifies. I was going to talk about why this is desirable, and get all pedantic.

But I'd rather point to my son's new family's love of a Beatles tune that gave them the idea to name their new baby Jude.

Or to my granddaughter's joy acting and singing in classic shows that her grandparents, great-grandparents, and great great grandparents liked; for example, Sound of Music, and Fiddler on the Roof. Elton John wrote the music in a show she's got a good role in that starts in February. She's pretty excited about it.

All I can do is look at how the kids in my family took to heart things they love doing, regardless of which generation invented it, and are living pretty joyful existences.

I need to add a quote from my daughter after she saw Paul McCartney's show a few years ago:

"It's amazing that he's still so good. It makes me not afraid of getting old."

Last edited:
I hope they don’t. It’s really for the best that kids are allowed to move on from old people’s culture. Mine included.

I get where you're coming from - the point of view that each generation shouldn't be chained to the previous ones. I agree with that. But I have to mildly disagree with what you said about moving on, Serg.

I was going to launch into a post about music being taught and passed from generation to generation that each succeeding generation builds on, and then modifies. I was going to talk about why this is desirable, and get all pedantic.

But I'd rather point to my son's new family's love of a Beatles tune that gave them the idea to name their new baby Jude.

Or to my granddaughter's joy acting and singing in classic shows that her grandparents, great-grandparents, and great great grandparents liked; for example, Sound of Music, and Fiddler on the Roof. Elton John wrote the music in a show she's got a good role in that starts in February. She's pretty excited about it.

All I can do is look at how the kids in my family took to heart things they love doing, regardless of which generation invented it, and are living pretty joyful existences.

I need to add a quote from my daughter after she saw Paul McCartney's show a few years ago:

"It's amazing that he's still so good. It makes me not afraid of getting old."

To expand on this, JH and Beatles etc. are part of music history, which is why music of this generation to a certain extent is where it is.

My kids have an appreciation for music of my generation and before, however it doesn’t stop them from making their own musical tastes.

Interesting. So I guess you don’t believe a guitar gets broken in?
This is an interesting question for discussion, because there are lots of variables. I don't know the answer and can only make guesses.

I think they do wind up sounding a little different over time, but is it the result of being played, the glues and finishes drying, the wood aging, some combination of the above, or,'I dunno what it is but it seems to matter'?

Then there's the matter of some acoustic guitars - even very good ones - not aging well and 'going sour', while others age beautifully. This seems to be independent of being played often. I wondered if I was alone in thinking this, but I read an interview with James Taylor and he mentioned it as a reason he retires some of his guitars. And he certainly plays the heck out of them for years.

I have trouble thinking that playing a solid body guitar and vibrating it in doing so does anything to change a piece of wood that's no longer living, and yet many people swear that it does. However, I think the top on an acoustic or hollow body - made to vibrate to amplify the notes, and much, much thinner - ages more like a speaker cone and becomes a bit looser over the years as a result of the wood needing to move quite a bit more.

The more believable theory with solid bodies is that the wood sap and other stuff crystallizing over time, the finish drying, the glues drying, etc, matter somewhat.

All of my current guitars are nitro finished. I've been happier in the long run with the tone of nitro finished guitars. Doesn't mean it's somehow 'better', but it does mean it seems to do better for me, and I like the way it ages.

However, I don't think a non-living piece of wood 'breathes' better with nitro, because that piece of wood is obviously incapable of breathing. But the other factors might apply.

Interesting. So I guess you don’t believe a guitar gets broken in?
In terms of sound.. An acoustic guitar? Maybe. An electric guitar? Not even in the slightest. Theoretically, if it did change in any way, it would not be due to the wood, it would be due to the minute levels of oxidation around the coils. Making it less conductive and thus "cooler". We're approaching tonewood territory here and honestly, it's probably just beating a dead horse.

In terms of feel, sure they will get broken in. The finish will wear and even things like the fretboard can get worn down with use. So in that sense, yes.

Didn’t PRSh talk about the reasons that some vintage guitars sound so amazing, and one major reason being the aged wood? 🤔 Gotta go with Paul on that one too. It is as if this PRS guy knows a bit about guitars 😉

I have no dog in the hunt, but agree with Les. Buy the guitar that works for you . Playability and tone are foremost.

In terms of guitars tone changing over time, it does I"ve had several guitars for several decades
... there is no reason to debate this with the people who aren't luthiers.
Your journey has many miles to go .

I don't buy SE's because I prefer to support US craftsman, nothing against them . If an instrument doesn't float your boat , there are so many choices these days you should find something that does .. and at a decent price.

The Cores, S2, and SE are all different guitars made to different specs. We can argue all day about what difference a single piece body or single piece neck makes, but there are many differences that add up to three distinct instruments. Play what you like best at the price point you can/want to afford.

I will say that PRS as a brand is remarkably consistent in quality- I regularly run across other “premium” US made instruments that can range from excellent to poorly made…not so with PRS.

Back