I want to buy a PRS but.. (finish issue)

MRFAFO

Here is a photo

This guitar is on sale, around 4500$ and it's a 10 top 594.
Can you see the color spots in the curve? I'm pretty sure some will consider it as a tiny "defect". But will it make you skip this one? Is it unacceptable for you? Will it annoy you at some point in the future?

Share me your thought. Thanks.

Edit: Here is another photo
It looks like part of the inlay is the same color as the fretboard. When I first went to the shop it was less severe and I wonder if it might get worse and worse..
This photo was taken 2 weeks before

Last edited:
In the end, it doesn't matter if it would bother any of us or not.

The fact is, it's your money and you deserve to be happy with your purchase. If you see it as something that will bother you over the course of time, find a different guitar to buy.

I will say, it's going to be almost impossible to find a guitar out there with absolutely zero "defects". If you look long and hard enough at any guitar, you will eventually find something "wrong" with it. The question will always be the same, though....is it enough to bother you so much that you regret your purchase.

For what it's worth....the issues you posted about would not be enough to deter me if I absolutely loved the guitar otherwise. But again, it's your money and only you can decide if it's something that will or won't bother you over time.

Never Settle When Buying Gear. Always Buy Right The First Time. Get The Best Playing And Sounding Guitar That Is Comfortable For You To Play And You Have Peace About Purchasing And You Can Afford. Good Luck On Your Hunt!

I now know why some guitars have mother of toilet seat.. leave the good stuff for people who appreciate natural beauty for what it is.

There's plenty of other guitars out there for you. Let this one go to home it'll be happy at. :)

Heres 1 of mine...
4PE4q6A.jpg

Can you see how great and 'natural' they are or do you see any 'fault'?

Heres 1 of mine...
4PE4q6A.jpg

Can you see how great and 'natural' they are or do you see any 'fault'?
Looks Good To Me, However, I See A Fret Polish Coming On Your Next String Change. (Unless The Lighting Is Playing Tricks On Me) :)

Looks Good To Me, However, I See A Fret Polish Coming On Your Next String Change. (Unless The Lighting Is Playing Tricks On Me) :)
The lighting and the Camera I used isn't great at all - its not a professional grade picture for sure but I thought it better to show an example of a birds taken on my phone in my kitchen for the most 'natural' light - no flash. You could say the Camera doesn't do these justice at all - even say one may look cracked/broken in the picture, but in reality its some 'natural' mark.

It certainly make NO difference to the feel, playability, tone or aesthetics to me - the Guitar....
yeGur6L.jpg

Look at all those lines/rings in the flame - a flaw or natural beauty???

The lighting and the Camera I used isn't great at all - its not a professional grade picture for sure but I thought it better to show an example of a birds taken on my phone in my kitchen for the most 'natural' light - no flash. You could say the Camera doesn't do these justice at all - even say one may look cracked/broken in the picture, but in reality its some 'natural' mark.

It certainly make NO difference to the feel, playability, tone or aesthetics to me - the Guitar....
yeGur6L.jpg

Look at all those lines/rings in the flame - a flaw or natural beauty???
Beautiful To Me. :)

If you're not happy, don't spend the money. I personally can't bring myself to spend $4500 on a single instrument, no matter how beautiful. I spent $1700 on my top-end Buffet R13 clarinet, and about $2400 on my fanciest guitars. And even those felt like a huge splurge, usually spending about half that on a guitar or less.

Back