Do You Ever Get Anxious When Recording?

I don't usually get all that anxious. I try to treat is as something fun. I have been recording for a long time now so never an issue. I usually get more nervous for the gents in my band...they seem to be a bit more anxious when recording.

Again though, everyone has a different perception on things and thus we are all different. My problem is I start analyzing my parts and thinking what I could put in or do better. Sometimes its better just to leave it and move on.

I think we all begin with a dream, but sometimes the dream doesn't work out, so we try to dream up something else...regards fun, sure, but the problem occurs when that "dream is over..."

No, I don't think so. You may be more conservative yet less likely to feel comfortable during Zoom meetings, or in larger groups of people.

I'm personally the same way. I usually am more reserved in larger groups, because while others may be enjoying themselves, I don't feel the need to "bare all," unless I were literally "on a vacation" where swimsuits were de rigueur.

I must ask, do you feel uncomfortable wearing swimtrunks at the beach? If so, we both likely need to go on a healthier diet so when we go on a vacation, we will feel comfortable.

No, you're not weird. Sometimes we feel uncomfortable when something we've previously said crops up online, or is imitated in some way that we identify with easily. It's a natural form of fear, yet not a paranoia, that embodies awe and respect. Sometimes, when art imitates life, it can be both a fulfilling and disconcerting experience.

Thanks for taking your time to explain this kind of weird behavior. I hope we get to tell ourselves that we no longer have to worry about it.

Depends on whether I'm recording somewhere else in front of a bunch of people or here at the house in my own studio...
Sometimes I get a little tight in front of musicians I don't know.

Hell yes. The pressure of not wasting the engineer’s time to punch in a solo I’d played 500 times is real! Do I go with my “rehearsed” version or stretch out? Will i peak out because I didn’t give him a valid level when I really dig in, or should I relax and finesse it? Everyone is in the booth watching me prep and execute...including some strange girls I’ve never seen before! Aaaaahhhhh!

Short answer, no. I always considered it just good practice for live playing, when you only get one shot at getting it right (although in reality not everyone is going to notice if you stuff it slightly).

Back