Do You Ever Get Anxious When Recording?

I spent a few years working as an audio engineer. I mainly mastered but would be in the studio on occasion. For every studio session, after set-up, I'd tell the musicians to work through the song while I fine tune and check some things. Then I'd record. That often turned out to be one of the best takes. Of course that won't work when recording yourself.

When/if time allowed, once we had a good take I'd suggest doing another just for fun. Those takes were often quite good as well, as they weren't trying to get "the one" anymore.

Anyway, I suppose my point is nearly everyone I worked with when recording got nervous in the studio. Maybe it would help to remember--especially with digital storage--you can have all the takes you want, so try to just play. And once you have a good take, do one more, just for fun.

When I'm recording my hands seem to be made of silly putty, and my brain is about as functional as Dr. Gonzo's when he's on acid in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I've been recording for many, many years. Often I'm in the room by myself, no audience to be nervous about. I write my own parts. I've done hundreds of sessions.

You'd think I'd be supremely confident. You'd be wrong. You know that dream where suddenly you're naked in the halls of your high school and you can't remember your locker combination?

"I've never had that dream."

"You don't know what you're missing, then."

I used to get stage fright onstage, but then learned about nervousness in front of a camera regards Zoom meetings. You depend on your fellow attendees. Only problem is, If your wi-fi freezes up, we can't see you moving or hear you. Same thing if your phone cuts out.

You'd be surprised how many times I've sat on my sofa with my iPad and had some would-be guy on YouTube tell me how to be healthier, but realize we're only getting stuck with a bill for goods or services for something we order or subscribe to.

Unfortunately, that's the price we pay when we look for fun and games in the media or online.

Recording? It's music. Either you have some skills regards home recording, or you practice so you don't freeze in front of a mic. If my computer doesn't freeze up while recording, that's more important than needing to redo a take.

I think I'll go read a book. It's safer than watching the boob tube until the cows come home.

Last edited:
I can sorta compare it to golf. At the range I’d be hitting straight bombs right where I wanted them to go, and on the course with people watching and a score card on the line I’ll shank em to Nebraska. Brain gets in the way. I’ve noticed I’ll even sit differently, try to have good posture and other things when it’s time to record, as though that’ll improve my playing. It’s all completely psychological and I’ve seen it from every single person I’ve ever recorded over my 17 years as an audio engineer, in music and film, with two exceptions: Tom Hanks and Daniel Craig, they know how to get on mic without sounding like they’re on mic. The worst offenders were Dustin Hoffman and Ozzy Osbourne. These were ADR or game VO sessions but the same thing applies, add a mic and they turn into confused weirdos.

I’ve found when recording myself that by the 25th take I get frustrated enough that the anxiety disappears and it’s replaced with a “Let’s do this thing!” attitude and it gets the job done.

Yes I do! Am I that weird? :/

No, I don't think so. You may be more conservative yet less likely to feel comfortable during Zoom meetings, or in larger groups of people.

I'm personally the same way. I usually am more reserved in larger groups, because while others may be enjoying themselves, I don't feel the need to "bare all," unless I were literally "on a vacation" where swimsuits were de rigueur.

I must ask, do you feel uncomfortable wearing swimtrunks at the beach? If so, we both likely need to go on a healthier diet so when we go on a vacation, we will feel comfortable.

No, you're not weird. Sometimes we feel uncomfortable when something we've previously said crops up online, or is imitated in some way that we identify with easily. It's a natural form of fear, yet not a paranoia, that embodies awe and respect. Sometimes, when art imitates life, it can be both a fulfilling and disconcerting experience.

TBH,

I get a little anxious (read: uneasy stomach) when assigned a large read part, or other participation assignment, that needs to be given in front of a large audience. Sometimes the reading has difficult-to-pronounce names or words, which causes some stumbling or choppiness in phrasing or sentence flow.

The way to prevent all of this is to simply prepare your reading well in advance of the assigned presentation date. Do your research that includes identifying troublesome areas that slip you up.

It's much like learning how to play a song from the beginning that has intricate riffs or phrasing. You take it one or two words at a time until you can put things together, until the reading flows smoothly from beginning to end.

Trust me, this works. For may years I used to have what were called "word whiskers" that included "um, ah," and the like. Nowadays, my public speaking ability has improved vastly. Although I can speak at a very fast clip, I choose not to, because slowing down and speeding up is a part of public speaking that emphasizes important parts, while glossing over unimportant things.

Now, if someone can teach me how to apply all of this to guitar practice in a structured manner, I'd be glad to give you the benefit of my experience regards public speaking in. greater detail.

I used to get super nervous when I tried to record because I thought that each take needed to be perfect. Then I heard a song that changed my entire perception of music creation. The recording flat out sucks. It's awful. I still cringe every time I hear it. The musicians are out of pitch, out of time, out of context, and seemingly out of their minds. The solo is a complete train wreck. It sounds like dirty nails on a chalk board.

Yet...

The song became so famous, so influential, so legendary, that it became blindingly obvious to me that trying to be "perfect" just does not matter.

Have fun, make music, enjoy the process. Hit record, keep the mic on, wait for the magic to happen.

Oh. What song, you ask?

for real, ‘tape’ doesn’t even cost anything anymore. we can all be the beatles now.

The only part of recording I used to dread was pushing the wrong button and not being able to undo something. Regards typing, we have delete keys that correct out mistakes (and the ubiquitous spellcheck feature). If there were ever some application or gadget that didn't allow you to right some wrong when you either intentionally or accidentally pushed the wrong button, (like dialing your ex at 4 AM in the morning), you might not desire that gadget until they fixed that feature.

Ha ha. I'm " not really old school. Old school" with a tascam 2488! I have learned to embrace the " undo" feature.

Very handy to have!
The only part of recording I used to dread was pushing the wrong button and not being able to undo something. Regards typing, we have delete keys that correct out mistakes (and the ubiquitous spellcheck feature). If there were ever some application or gadget that didn't allow you to right some wrong when you either intentionally or accidentally pushed the wrong button, (like dialing your ex at 4 AM in the morning), you might not desire that gadget until they fixed that feature.

I don't usually get all that anxious. I try to treat is as something fun. I have been recording for a long time now so never an issue. I usually get more nervous for the gents in my band...they seem to be a bit more anxious when recording.

Again though, everyone has a different perception on things and thus we are all different. My problem is I start analyzing my parts and thinking what I could put in or do better. Sometimes its better just to leave it and move on.

Back