Do I really need a PRS Studio guitar?

Take your current guitars and arrange them in a circle (be sure that all headstocks are pointing out of circle). Sit in the middle of that circle in a meditative position. Ensure that there is no interference with the peace of your force. Summon the souls of your guitars to answer this question. The answer they give you will be the truth. This or contemplate on the "Tree Of Woe" like Conan the Barbarian was forced to!

Never played one, but the diversity of the Studio's sound palette is said to be quite diverse, so it probably should be a part of your 6 string universe!

I think the only real draw for a Wood Library now is if the classic recipe isn't your thing. Have there been many WL runs with PS finishes lately? I haven't looked.

If you've found one with a top/color you like in a color that isn't going to be around much longer, go for it. At worst it's an expensive rental. At best you'll have a lifetime guitar.

I think the only real draw for a Wood Library now is if the classic recipe isn't your thing. Have there been many WL runs with PS finishes lately? I haven't looked.

If you've found one with a top/color you like in a color that isn't going to be around much longer, go for it. At worst it's an expensive rental. At best you'll have a lifetime guitar.
The wood library Studio that I have been looking at is Santana yellow. That is a normal production color. The only thing it offers that I like is a flamed maple neck with Brazilian fretboard. The rest of the guitar is the standard recipe of the Studio. The top is nice on it but the 10 tops I am looking at look as good.

I Am Not Just A Pretty Face...I Have Some Brains And Wisdom As Well. ;)

I Hope You Can Find A Great One!
I think I have decided that the wood library version isn't going to be worth the extra money. That is a significant difference in price to get a flamed maple neck and Brazilian fretboard. I think I have it down to two that I may be good with getting.

i assert that you need a studio. mine is gritty and angry and i find i use it more often than i thought i would. the 57/08 is a very solid and versatile pickup. the narrowfields are very articulate but combined with the hog back and maple cap will not sound anything like a strat.

my criteria for choosing guitars is Playability, Tone, then Looks. i have some guitars that do not move me in the looks department but play and sound great so i keep and enjoy them. for looks, you're only really looking at them when they're hanging on the wall. happy hunting!

i assert that you need a studio. mine is gritty and angry and i find i use it more often than i thought i would. the 57/08 is a very solid and versatile pickup. the narrowfields are very articulate but combined with the hog back and maple cap will not sound anything like a strat.

my criteria for choosing guitars is Playability, Tone, then Looks. i have some guitars that do not move me in the looks department but play and sound great so i keep and enjoy them. for looks, you're only really looking at them when they're hanging on the wall. happy hunting!
I have 57/08s in quite a few of my PRS guitars. They are my favorite pickup. However, the new Studio guitars dome with a 58/15LT in the bridge. I swapped those out of my 594 because they had so much less output than the 57/08s in my other guitars and it was pretty noticeable when switching guitars live.

How does the 57/08 mesh with the narrowfield pickups as far as volume? I can always swap the 58/15LT out for a 57/08 but will have to hear the stock pickup to see how it performs. The new 57/08 may overpower the narrowfields.

Being a PRS core guitar, I know the playability and tone are going to be there. I also expect it to sound different than my other guitars since I don't own any guitars with narrowfields in them. That is why this has come down to the looks. I am confident the rest will be there from my experience with the core level guitars.

Always another guitar, always.
I have honestly not seen anything that has interested me enough to buy one for a while now. I bought a couple of Teles in 2020 but that was to replace two I had sold a handful of years before that. I found out that I still wanted the sound of a Tele available to me. I had gigged the two I sold pretty frequently but hadn't been playing the type of music I used them for and figured I would sell them. I should have kept them. I haven't bought anything since then. It had been several years before that purchase since I had bought any new guitars. My collection is big enough that I have everything I really like covered at least once. This guitar is something I have revisited a few times but just never pulled the trigger. It was some more recent videos I saw that drew me into the narrowfield pickups enough to give them a try. I like what I have heard from the one in the neck position. It delivers a tone fatter than a single coil but not as thick as a full size humbucker. I like that tone a lot.

I am betting this will be the last one I buy for quite some time. I am thinking more about moving on some that are duplicates in the collection that I don't play or others that I just haven't played in years.

A call was made between meetings. A deal was struck and a charge was put on my credit card... I will receive tracking information on the guitar today. Here is what is coming my way.

Thanks to all of those that enabled me. One thing to note, this is actually the one my wife picked when I showed her the first two. She picked this over the wood library version. I showed her a couple of Aquamarine versions as well and she still liked this one better. I was leaning in that direction and she solidified it.

A call was made between meetings. A deal was struck and a charge was put on my credit card... I will receive tracking information on the guitar today. Here is what is coming my way.

Thanks to all of those that enabled me. One thing to note, this is actually the one my wife picked when I showed her the first two. She picked this over the wood library version. I showed her a couple of Aquamarine versions as well and she still liked this one better. I was leaning in that direction and she solidified it.
Nice! Eddie's is a great place to deal with.

Back