Refinishing my McCarty, need help choosing a color.

If it were mine I’d go Purple Mist, seeing as it will already have dark stain in the valleys.

But that’s just me.

If I was going opaque, Antique White.
You know for a little bit white was one of the top choices. I was looking at all white. Top, back, neck, headstock. But, I couldn't get totally comfortable with the Antique White. If it was a pearl white, I think i could go all in.

Purple mist was high on the list for a little while as well, but again, just not so sure how purple it would come out, I would want it VERY purple.
It's so damn hard to tell because every picture you see of a PRS in a finish the colors vary so much from guitar to guitar, so there is no telling how yours will come out.

If you're going to pay to have it done right. I'd wait until they offered a finish I want. PRS refins aren't cheap. If rather deal with hazing and clouding over the disappointment of a meh to me finish.

Personally I love solid finishes on a PRS. Black guitars are like black cars. Love em when new and clean, otherwise not so much. Wasn't a goldtop guy until I got my SC58. Now I get it. White guitars are sexy, but never owned antique to say one way or the other.

If cobalt smokeburst is drawing you in.. there's your answer for door number two.

If you're going to pay to have it done right. I'd wait until they offered a finish I want. PRS refins aren't cheap. If rather deal with hazing and clouding over the disappointment of a meh to me finish.

Personally I love solid finishes on a PRS. Black guitars are like black cars. Love em when new and clean, otherwise not so much. Wasn't a goldtop guy until I got my SC58. Now I get it. White guitars are sexy, but never owned antique to say one way or the other.

If cobalt smokeburst is drawing you in.. there's your answer for door number two.
Well I am kind of looking at it this way.
The finish i really want, which started this whole obsession, is Silver Metal Flake. The only way I am getting that is going to a custom guitar refinisher. But that brings its own set of woes. No preserving logo's, no preserving serial numbers, trusting that i will get my guitar back before i am too old to enjoy it lol. I have read some horror stories out there.
So I decided i want PRS to handle this. Which now leaves me to a more limited color selection to choose from.
So I said ok how about Platinum Metallic, then that was shot down.

Now could i wait until PRS releases a color that smacks me in the face and says yes, this is the color? I could, but who knows how long that could be.

So I could sit on this hazy lack luster finish i have now and hope that something comes out. ( it is much hazier than it looks in the picture i posted, MUCH!)
Or i could select from the already available finishes.

The already available finishes are really nice, and truthfully none of them are disappointing finishes. But at the same time, none of them are going to give me that same wow factor as the original finish that started me on this journey, being Silver Metal Flake.

What keeps making me hesitate is, as i said in a previous post. There is just no way to know how mine will come out. How much variation there could possibly be from the colors I am seeing of photos of the same finish. Every guitar is different, every piece of wood is going to take finish differently. I would just hate to order a purple mist finish, get it and it look nothing like the colors I saw in photo's. If I knew mine was going to look just like it looks on their site than i would probably be more likely to jump.

Long winded response iknow...
This is just kinda helping me talk this out with myself, lol

Like who could be disappointed with this?
WecOZB5.png

Why pay more a less desireable finish? Plenty of guys that can do a solid paint job on a finish you would like. Even nitro finish or thin nitro like old fenders. I’d say don’t settle if you’re gonna invest

If it were me, I'd do Yellow Tiger or Tobacco Sunburst. YT is modern, but still kinda classic/classy. You can also never go wrong with Tobacco Sunburst.

If it were me, I'd do Yellow Tiger or Tobacco Sunburst. YT is modern, but still kinda classic/classy. You can also never go wrong with Tobacco Sunburst.
Yeah i definitely have a thing for Tobacco Burst. But that is the problem, i have a few tobacco bursts already lol so i was very intentionally trying to stay away from that choice this time around.

It's really a bummer that they are even limiting the colors of opaque's thru PTC. I will admit though, that a good white PRS really shows off the curves from the violin carve; here is shot of my old CE24 to make my point:

Q1mFu5Q.jpg
That's pretty sweet - I love how they left the "binding" exposed, nice touch!

Faded Blue Jean or Faded Whale Blue would bring out the figuring really well. Purple Mist or Charcoal would look nice. I’d be a bit hesitant on Cobalt covering the figuring a bit too much. Really depends on much much they can sand the current color back.

Back